• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eagles and Weapons

Corlon

First Post
In my friend's campaign, my character (a druid) was killed and reincarnated as an eagle. He usually wildshaped into one, so it was a fitting transformation, but this has brought up the question of exactly what he can do.

The DM has already ruled that because I have the natural spell feat I can retain my magical abilities, but can he swing a sword or throw a javelin? Can he drink a potion? Just how restrictive are eagle talons anyways. He has 16 Strength, so he's a far cry from weak, but how much does this make up for?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Can you Wild Shape into a human?
Can you Wild Shape into an ape?

When you reach 13th level, can you use A Thousand Faces to make yourself a humanoid for as long as you wish?

-- N

Thurbane

First Post
If you can't shapechange to humanoid form, you will be quite limited as to what gear you can use.

Potions aren't a problem - basically any creature can drink, or be fed, a potion.

Weapons in particular are quite limited - your DM might allow you to wear some sort of metal spurs, similar to those in cockfighting, to enhance your talon damage.

I think there is a table somewhere of what magical gear slots an animal has, but I can't remember whether it was official or homebrewed...

Tetsubo

First Post
Animal Item Slots

Although it's easy to imagine an animal benefiting from magic equipment beyond a simple saddle and a suit of barding, fitting a mount's physiology to the list of item slots available to characters is not an easy task. Try the following variant list of item slots for quadruped animals (and other monsters when appropriate).

One skull cap or helm
One pair of lenses or goggles
One collar
One saddle blanket or vest
One saddle or jacket
One belt or strap worn in front of or over the haunches
One pectoral or harness worn over the chest or shoulders
One pair foreleg bracers
One pair of foreleg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts
Two rings -- creatures with toes wear rings on the toes and creatures with hooves wear "rings" just above fore hooves
One pair of hind leg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts

Take a look at the Raptorians from Races of the Wild for some inspiration.

Ideas that might work: dropping things. Flasks, stones, maybe an orc shotput. Javelins should work as well. I might add a -2 penalty though. Take a level of Warlock for a nice ranged attack.

Remove ads