• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Early AD&D book trivia q

Robin_D_Laws

Explorer
Hey all -

I'm researching a book on the history of Gen Con and need to track down a pesky fact. My intrepid editor, Michelle Nephew of Atlas Games, suggested that I throw it out to the collective wisdom and/or trivia mastery of the Enworld crew.

An anecdote tells me that Steve Perrin (designer of the original Runequest rules) was credited in the acknowledgements of an early AD&D book. According to the story, it's either the Player's Handbook or the DMG. But a check of recent printings of these books turns up no such acknowledgement. Was it in an earlier printing of either book? A different book entirely? Is my informant misremembering completely?

If any of the archivally minded among you would be willing to take a crack at this question, I, Atlas and Gen Con would be much obliged.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Robin_D_Laws said:
Hey all -

I'm researching a book on the history of Gen Con and need to track down a pesky fact. My intrepid editor, Michelle Nephew of Atlas Games, suggested that I throw it out to the collective wisdom and/or trivia mastery of the Enworld crew.

An anecdote tells me that Steve Perrin (designer of the original Runequest rules) was credited in the acknowledgements of an early AD&D book. According to the story, it's either the Player's Handbook or the DMG. But a check of recent printings of these books turns up no such acknowledgement. Was it in an earlier printing of either book? A different book entirely? Is my informant misremembering completely?

If any of the archivally minded among you would be willing to take a crack at this question, I, Atlas and Gen Con would be much obliged.

I recall that too, but I'll be damned if I can find it. (Just did a search of the DMG, PHB, and MM pdfs).

Are you sure it's not Jeff Perren you're looking for?

JeffB

Legend
I believe Steve worked on one (or more maybe) of the 1E FR products.....Dreams of the Red Wizards maybe?

May also check D&DG...being that Chaosium was involved somewhat with Melnibone/Cthulhu licensing for those gods before they got yanked in the 2nd printing

Robin_D_Laws

Explorer
francisca said:
Are you sure it's not Jeff Perren you're looking for?

This is definitely a story about an interaction with Steve (Runequest) Perrin, not Jeff (Chain Mail) Perren -- though I suppose it's possible that the person telling it was at the time confusing his Perrens and Perrins. In which case, I need to know that.

NiTessine

Explorer
JeffB said:
I believe Steve worked on one (or more maybe) of the 1E FR products.....Dreams of the Red Wizards maybe?
Yes, he's got cover credit on that.

Couldn't find his name on anything else, though, including Deities & Demigods. I shall keep looking.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
NiTessine said:
Yes, he's got cover credit on that.

Couldn't find his name on anything else, though, including Deities & Demigods. I shall keep looking.
Yeah, I'm running out of stuff to check, too.

T. Foster

First Post
Steve Perrin actually did quite a bit of freelance work for TSR in the late 80s -- FR6: Dreams of the Red Wizards, FR4: The Magister, N5: Under Illefarn, GAZ5: Elves of Alfheim, CM9: Legacy of Blood -- and I believe he contributed to several of the "anthology" products TSR published around that time as well (such as REF5: Lords of Darkness, I13: Adventure Pack I, I14: Swords of the Iron Legion, WG7: Castle Greyhawk, and so on).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads