• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Earth Domain and commanding Earth Creatures?

smetzger

Explorer
Ok, one of my players is a Cleric with the Earth domain. Last session they encountered some gargoyles. He made his turning checks for "Commanding" one of the gargoyles. So he now has a gargoyle under his command. Not overly powerful but pretty good for a 7th level character.

This is how I have been handling it so far:
1) Every day he must redo a Turn check to maintane control of the gargoyle.

2) In combat he must use a standard action to change whatever the gargoyle is doing. He can issue commands to attack like groups of creatures but if there are multiple 'groups' of creatures he will need to give another mental command for the gargoyle to attack the 2nd group after the first has been dealt with.

What do you think?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Demon Knight

First Post
A 7th level cleric cannot command a gargoyle since he doesnt have twice as many levels as the gargoyle has HD.

Edit: fixing spelling errors

Last edited:

Demon Knight

First Post
PHB, pg 140: "Destroying Undead: If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn."

PHB, pg 140: "Evil Clerics and Undead: Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those that would be destroyed are commanded"

To command an earth elemental, the (evil) cleric must effectively destroy it and thus have twice as many levels as the monsters HD.

smetzger

Explorer
Ah, I didn't notice that. I was thinking an Evil Cleric could chose between Rebuke and Command.

So then how do we reconcile the following statement, again p.140:
Alternatively, an evil Cleric may command a single undead creature with more Hit Dice than he has levels, but he must concentrate continuously to do so..."

Does the cleric make a normal Rebuke and then 'Concentrate' continously to control the creature?

green slime

First Post
1) I rebuke undead (or Earth creatures) up to the result of my "Turn" check.
2) I command undead up to half my level in HD
3) I can command a HD total of undead equal to my level.
4) While concentrating, I can command an undead with more HD than I have levels.

So basically, The cleric can command any single undead affected by his "Turning" by maintaining his concentration.

Last edited:

Remove ads