• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Earth Genasi: Alternatives to Pass Without Trace

Hey all. I've been reading through the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, and it is pretty cool. But I think the spell-ability for Earth Genasi is kind of an odd choice. Any thoughts on that or alternatives?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
2nd level spells, as the Air Genasi's levitate (and pass without trace), recharging on a long rest:
Spike Growth: refluffed to be stone/earthen spikes instead of vegetative.
Hold Person: encased in earths/stone or swallowed into the ground.
Enhance Ability: limited to Bear's Endurance and/or Bull's Strength only and must be in physical contact with earth/stone to cast it.

1st level spells: As 1st level spell effects instead of 2nd, make it on a short rest instead of a long one.
OR allow the PC to select 2 they can perform on a long rest recharge:
Thunderwave: by stomping on/slamming the ground.
Blade Ward: "Hardening" one's skin into stone...maybe require contact with the earth to initiate?
Jump: using earth/stone jutting up beneath you (minor stone shaping) to "launch" you the extra "magical" distance.
Longstrider: self only. earth/stone pushing them along for the extra speed.
Spider Climb: self only. Only along stone/rock/earthen materials.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Meld into Stone seems the obvious choice to me (maybe with a shorter duration).

While an obvious choice, it also seems to be, from what we have thus far, an overpowered one.

Meld w/Stone is a 3rd level spell/effect.

Air Gen's get Levitate (2nd level) not Fly (3rd).
Fire and Water get a cantrip and 1st level spell at 3rd level.

Extrapolating, other PC races innate magics are basically cantrips and 1st level spell effects with Drow magic topping out on a 2nd level spell (darkness).

Yes, Svirf's have at will nondetection. But that really just goes to their history/legacy of innate powers for the history of the game (and is pretty much the only explanation how this race of helpful "good guys" can survive in an Underdark full of magical and psychic foes). They are the obvious proverbial "exception to the rule" (and have always had/been as imbalanced in terms of innate magic as all of the other Underdark races).

It seems the determination was made somewhere in the design process that a 3rd level spell effect isn't really in line with the "power balance" for innate magics that 5e has been presenting.

So, while I agree, it is the obvious flavor kind of choice. You can get/have just as much earthy flavor with appropriate level spells (and maybe some minor refluffing) with something less than 3rd level.

It seems the determination was made somewhere in the design process that a 3rd level spell effect isn't really in line with the "power balance" for innate magics that 5e has been presenting.

Seems likely. Third level spells seem to be one of their "cutoff points" as far as rule-breaking spells go. Basically, I don't think they want players skipping big chunks of dungeons via spellcasting until level 6.

bganon

Explorer
Which is why I thought Meld into Stone might work with a shorter duration. The spell has already been nerfed so that it can't be used to actually move through walls. As written, it's basically a way of safely hiding/resting for 8 hours. Take away the long duration and it has very limited use; it'd be pretty terrible for a 3rd level spell, actually.

Levitate on the other hand can be used offensively. In an open space it's a flat out save or lose against anything that doesn't have ranged options.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
True. It's pretty terrible for a 3rd level spell now/without changing the duration, honestly. hahaha.

Maybe that's why I prefer the flavor and uses for my suggestions then. The more I look at them, the more I'm kinda digging [HA! Earth Genasi...digging...hahaha ehem] the giving them an option of 2 separate effects on a long rest.

Makes them distinct, mechanically as well as flavorwise, from the other 3...without necessarily seeming OP compared to how levitate or spamming fire and water whips might get used.

Remove ads