• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Earthdawn 4e Announced

The_Gun_Nut

First Post
SR and D20 wouldn't mix well because, as has been stated, SR's system is not based upon levels or classes or anything like that. Also, as has been stated, the damage and wound systems don't track well. If a normal PC could take a Panther cannon to the face and shrug it off saying "I'm only down to half HP" then it doesn't quite feel like Shadowrun.

In reference to the disease track, I'm not sure it would work well for conveying horror marks. That's not to say it couldn't, just that it doesn't quite mesh. The mark, by itself, doesn't do anything other than provide a way for the horror to use its powers on the target without the need for line of sight or effect and, in many cases, allows the horror to torment the target from dozens or even hundreds of miles away. The mark "only" lasts a year and a day, but it can be renewed by the horror if it is within a few hundred miles if it needs to. The challenge, then, is to make the mark a terrible threat but not one that instantly ends your 4E career.

In general to deal with a horror mark, aside from not being marked at all, means one of three things:

1) Finding a high circle Nethermancer to undo it. An epic quest in itself, and worthy of several adventures.
2) Finding the horror and killing it. Can also be an epic adventure (epic in scope, not level necessarily).
3) Suicide. Although this is definately NOT the heroic route.

Fortunately (sorta), most of the more common horrors aren't going to mark and torment you for years on end, although many can. Mostly, they are going to try to kill you or eat your mind and soul.

Functional rules for horror powers in 4E are of paramount importance. In the ED rules they function quite well and do not require any kind of fiat. The system works well for portraying terrible beings with terrible abilities and appetites. I am interested in seeing how they are portrayed.

As for timeline, ED takes place about 5000+ years ago. There have been numerous cameos in both SR and ED by different figures: Alachia, Ghostwalker/Icewing, Dunkelzahn/Mountainshadow, Aina. The particulars of SR bleeding into a 4E Earthdawn game are really unimportant. What's more important is the adventuring to be done in the ED time.

One last thought. This is regarding crafting. There is an entire discipline dedicated to crafting who also can adventure. The Weaponsmith's variety of talents and abilities, while not as potent as a front line fighter, are respectable in combat and the discipline can also create and upgrade your adventuring equipment. I'm interested to see what will be done with this discipline.

Lizard

Explorer
Shadowrun featured strongly archetypal characters forming teams with good niche protection who routinely go on well-defined missions with clear goals. Whether or not the rules use "classes" or "levels" is not really relevant; it's *thematically* very D&Dish, and things like lethality or how magic works are easily changed from 'core' D20 (look at hit points in Babylon 5, where almost anyone can be killed by a PPG in one or two shots, or the magic system from Sovereign Stone D20, fully skill based, for example).

The setting/themes of SR adapt easily to the style of game supported by D20 -- strongly defined characters, team synergies, etc.

Shadowrun featured strongly archetypal characters forming teams with good niche protection who routinely go on well-defined missions with clear goals. Whether or not the rules use "classes" or "levels" is not really relevant; it's *thematically* very D&Dish, and things like lethality or how magic works are easily changed from 'core' D20 (look at hit points in Babylon 5, where almost anyone can be killed by a PPG in one or two shots, or the magic system from Sovereign Stone D20, fully skill based, for example).

The setting/themes of SR adapt easily to the style of game supported by D20 -- strongly defined characters, team synergies, etc.

Indeed. The hardest to replicate is the insane speed Shadowrun combat takes place. In 3 seconds (a round), the average street samurai can probably get off 6 shots and probably kill 3 simple guards.

Shadowrun was only lethal to the PCs if you fought against opposition of equal strength or where ambushed. There was a high theoretical lethality, but it rarely was actualized in the game.

But the rest of the Shadowrun themes can be very easy to replicate.

But err, weren't we talking about Earthdawn?

Andor

First Post
Indeed. The hardest to replicate is the insane speed Shadowrun combat takes place. In 3 seconds (a round), the average street samurai can probably get off 6 shots and probably kill 3 simple guards.

Shadowrun was only lethal to the PCs if you fought against opposition of equal strength or where ambushed. There was a high theoretical lethality, but it rarely was actualized in the game.

But the rest of the Shadowrun themes can be very easy to replicate.

But err, weren't we talking about Earthdawn?

It irritated me when they kept trying to 'balance' the initiative system in later editions. SR initiative was never intended to be balanced, it was intended to portray what it was like to fight people who could play patty cake with humming birds.

Speaking of SR aren't we supposed to be Goblinizing soon? I wanna be a vampire. SR vampires rock. :]

It irritated me when they kept trying to 'balance' the initiative system in later editions. SR initiative was never intended to be balanced, it was intended to portray what it was like to fight people who could play patty cake with humming birds.
You mean it was supposed to be a fatal flaw hindering enjoyable gameplay for non-samurai. I suppose you are right, but I am not really in favor of keeping it. At least not for my group. ;)

Speaking of SR aren't we supposed to be Goblinizing soon? I wanna be a vampire. SR vampires rock. :]
I am not sure what's to happen first - but isn't one of the first things to hit us VITAS? Let's hope it won't be any of us...

Lorion

Explorer
With the exception of a one shot adventure, I never came into contact with Earthdawn. With the release for D&D4, this will definately change - sounds intriguing!

SteelCoyote

First Post
But wasn't there a limitation in ED about the number of threads a character could have active?

Threadweaving:

I think the Magic of Incarnum could allow for something similar if I remember it correctly.

...And if it were adapted for 4e, and modified for an ED-like setting...(...or you could just play oldschool ED and leave D&D to D&D...):lol:

2011/2012 was/is/will be the Ghost Dance, correct?

I don't have my SR handy...but I'm still waiting to express into an elf. You can goblinize if you prefer. :p

Last edited:

Deverash

First Post
Threadweaving:

I think the Magic of Incarnum could allow for something similar if I remember it correctly.

...And if it were adapted for 4e, and modified for an ED-like setting...(...or you could just play oldschool ED and leave D&D to D&D...):lol:

2011/2012 was/is/will be the Ghost Dance, correct?

I don't have my SR handy...but I'm still waiting to express into an elf. You can goblinize if you prefer. :p

I thought all the dwarves and elves were born to human parents, even the first generation of them(excepting, of course, the elves that had been around since the LAST high magic age).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads