• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Earthdawn: FASA vs LR

Kri8or

First Post
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 1st and 2nd editions of Earthdawn? I flipped through the 2nd ed book at the store today and it looks pretty much the same, but I'd like to know if anything changed before it comes up in game...

Thanks in advance.

Hawklord

First Post
Never actually got to play 2nd edition, but i believe they badsically kept it pretty much the same but revamped the skills system and rewrote the magic system to make it easier to understand.

Turjan

Explorer
For a detailed answer you might check out this thread on rpg.net. Keep in mind that there will be a third version of Earthdawn coming out this spring from a different company, because FASA granted the license a second time.

Deadguy

First Post
Well, I started playing in an Earthdawn campaign under first edition that modified to second edition when it came out. Mostly the change was seamless, with neither players nor GM noticing very much. A few Disciplines were rejigged, so it was worth checking out your character again. And new PCs got more skills than old, but we handled that by offering boosts to older characters in line with what they'd already done.

Overall, I prefer the Second Edition rules to First. There are still holes, and still bits that need clarifying, but then most systems do. I do particularly like that Skills play a larger role. As was commented, under First edition, a Warrior was a Warrior was a Warrior. Tell us your race and Circle, and we can guess your Talents. The skills now give the same character a different flavour. With the right Skills, a Third Circle warrior might be a hunter, a bodyguard or an airship marine.

I am still interested in RebdBrick's own version, and I have few doubts that many extant campaigns will hybridise as suits their own style. Earthdawn requires a lot of input from the GM and the players to get the most from it. But it is worth the effort.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads