• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

easier for newbies: 3.5e or PRPG?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So I'm running a game Tuesday evening for a group of people who haven't played before (and writing up some basic pregens for them). I'm curious, what do you think of as easier to use for newbies: 3.5 or PRPG alpha? Either way, I'd be stripping down the options and just teaching what's needed. I'm not terribly familiar with the Pathfinder changes, either, if you think that makes a difference.

Also, if you have an opinion, what's a good intro one-shot adventure? I'm looking at The Burning Plague, Hollow's Last Hope, Dark and Stormy Knight, and maybe CMG's Whispering Woodwind, roughly in that order of preference ATM.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Only 3.5 and Pathfinder allowed?

I think 3.5 is _slightly_ easier, for some classes. Barbarian Rage Points or Monks Ki Points complicate these two classes at least.

On the other hand, Pathfinder streamlines combat maneuvers (especially important for grapple), so I don't know - what do you expect to come up more often? ;)

CountPopeula

First Post
In Japanese RPGs, the ease of introduction seems geared at getting people playing right out of the gate. I think both of them fall short in this respect. Since you're just introducing them to the game, instead of stripping out a lot of rules, maybe you want to strip out some options at character creation. For instance, you may wish to have stats decided solely on class/race choice. I suggest creating a stat array for each class, use the racial modifiers the races already give, and let the players take +2 to one or two different stats, ignoring weighting issues and such. Then give each each class a number of "core skills" they start with a +4 in, and let the players choose at least one, but maybe more based on race and where they put their bonuses, additional skill. Make starting feats part of the character class at first level, and choose the human's extra feat based on class ahead of time.

If you do this, you take character creation from a long process to "I want to be a half-elf mage" "Okay, put these two bonus points somewhere and pick 2 more skills, we're done, let's play."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Since you're just introducing them to the game, instead of stripping out a lot of rules, maybe you want to strip out some options at character creation.
Agree.

You could do most of the work in making pre-gens, and then give them a few choices (from among the many non-bad options). Make the choices "shallow" rather than "deep": e.g. choosing a weapon is good, changing a character's armor or ability scores is bad.

Cheers, -- N

freyar

Only 3.5 and Pathfinder allowed?

I think 3.5 is _slightly_ easier, for some classes. Barbarian Rage Points or Monks Ki Points complicate these two classes at least.

On the other hand, Pathfinder streamlines combat maneuvers (especially important for grapple), so I don't know - what do you expect to come up more often? ;)

Well, I don't know any of the really rules-light systems, and I'm not ready to invest in 4e yet (esp because my wife says she doesn't want to learn new rules :p), so that's about it. At least assuming PRPG really is back-compatible. ;)

I'll have to look at the combat section of PRPG to see how much simpler that is, I guess...

@ CP, Nifft: Yeah, I'm definitely writing out pregens and keeping them as simple as possible.

Samurai

Adventurer
IMO, the extra character options will take Pathfinder a little longer to get started, but the easier combat maneuvers rules will make those go faster when actually playing (if anyone decides to use them)

Overall, since it is compatible, it's really not going to be a huge difference either way.

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
Pathfinder will be just as easy--and will also give the players 1st-level PCs that are more fun to play due to PFRPG's tweaks.

As for adventure, Hollow's Last Hope presents a strong, solid, and easily grasped scenario.

Bialaska

First Post
So I'm running a game Tuesday evening for a group of people who haven't played before (and writing up some basic pregens for them). I'm curious, what do you think of as easier to use for newbies: 3.5 or PRPG alpha? Either way, I'd be stripping down the options and just teaching what's needed. I'm not terribly familiar with the Pathfinder changes, either, if you think that makes a difference.

Also, if you have an opinion, what's a good intro one-shot adventure? I'm looking at The Burning Plague, Hollow's Last Hope, Dark and Stormy Knight, and maybe CMG's Whispering Woodwind, roughly in that order of preference ATM.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

It's a tough choice. Both of the games can be newbie friendly if the GM wants it so, but they're also both having a bazillion different choices if you let the players acquire them.

I would suggest that you as a GM make some premade packages (well, 3.5 has some defined already) and then go with a couple of basic standard arrays. Then players chose one of the arrays, chose a race of their own choice and then picked one of the packages and poof, you got a character.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Since Pathfinder currently still needs the 3.5 books it'll be more complicated as you'll have to explain which of the old rules aren't being used.

Geoff.

freyar

Wrap-up report:

I went the PRPG route: the rules differences in the end didn't seem to make one version any easier than the other, but I wanted the PCs to survive a bit longer. I think the new class abilities and a few extra HP made a big difference. Anyway, I did write out my own character sheets, spelling everything out, and I think it went pretty well. I ran Burning Plague with slightly fewer kobolds than written (since they were only CR 1/6 in 3.0 but CR 1/4 already in 3.5); one PC did go unconscious, but the channel positive energy and celestial bloodline sorcerer power really made the difference. Seemed to go over pretty well, and I think everyone got the picture. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads