• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Easy (I hope) Stealth Question

Well, I wouldn't be too worried about boredom. Chances are pretty good that it will only work a few times in any given combat. The monsters are going to send someone over to deal with the rogue up close and personal ASAP. Even if they don't the battle may shift away from the location where the tactic can be used, or some other opportunity will present itself that is more tempting, like coming out and flanking an enemy or something like that. Remember, rogues can now also get a pretty decent charge attack capability if they take Melee Training (Dex) and that works pretty much like Deft Strike with melee attacks, but better in some situations.

IanArgent

First Post
And finally remember that what is good for the goose is good for the gander...

There are plenty of quite stealthy monsters who can pull off basically the same trick. Remember how LOS works, you only need to have LOS from ONE corner of your space, so a monster can have superior cover and still attack. That is important since they mostly don't have something like Deft Strike. What it means is the monster can simply sit in the corner square and snipe with CA, slide back a square (because you have to move to hide) and on the next round slide up and attack with CA again (now he will be revealed for a round, but still has superior cover).

Make the monster a nice stealthy lurker, preferably one with bonus damage for an attack with CA at range, and this can REALLY annoy some players!

This is essentially what I had the gobbos do in the excavation on the first level of the Keep on the Shadowfell.

Fkewl

First Post
As DM, my monsters would find their own corner/concealment, hold their action and wait for the rogue to pop.. then hit him with all they have!

Or, if the dungeon/area permits, a few would run and circle back behind the rogue and snipe him too.

This is assuming "intelligent" monsters.. something like a Ooze wouldn't.

Last edited:

Remove ads