• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ebberon] Heart of Darkness [Drow]

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
Ah, that slipped my mind.

Rather than aligments, I prefur using the aligence system (d20 modern uses it); in a nutshell, you can pick up to 3 moral/ethical/etc alligences for a character, and gain some minor social bonuses to those who share an aligence with you.

A 'typical' Drow might have <family>, <clan/settlment> and Drow, and would generaly look out for his family intrest first, followed by his clan, and then his race, before anythng else.

Pyrex

First Post
Hmm, I'll have to wait until I get home to start putting anything together; but I've been itching for a chance to try out the Warlock.

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
Some more starting info:

Irebhal'khan/Irekhan - those of true blood/those of the blood
The racial name the drow, in this region at least, use for themselves.

Nhalar'ikt - The houses of the hatefull ones (ie, Giants)
Nhalar'ikt is the starting settlement, in the ruins of an old giant city. It's roughly circular (about 400 by 450 ft), surrounded by thick jungle. The place is divided into a number of square sections by the ruins of an old cannel system, which is mostly filled with muck and plants, but is, in most spots, still deep enough to at least slow travel directly over the cannels. A number of small wooden birdges have been built to facilitate movement by the drow, but all are desiged to be easy to move or destroy if needed.

The primary reason the city was settled was the existance of several dozen fountains, whose magic still provides clean (if no longer fresh) water. The same magic that creates the water also prevents it from becoming infested with vermin or otherwise becoming deseased, and this part of the jungle is filled with all major of mundan and magical illiness spread by water, making the find of huge importance.

A truely massive tower once rose in the center of the city, but it fell long ago, ruining the northern portion of the city and leaving only a few floors that are accessable and safe. However, a magical platform still floats above the city, still accesable via magical lifts, providing a commanding view as well as a fitting set for the clan heads to govern the city.

While some portions of the cannals have been filled with soil and planted for crops, the city is still dependend on hunting as the primary source of food and materials.

Uhriekt - Clans of Shadows
The collective name of the various tribes that occupy Nhalar'ikt. This stems from the name of the dominat and founding tribe, Uhriakt, the Shadow Clan, which first setteled the area and latter conjured or assimilated the other families of the city.

Sekalar - Hunters, the most common occupation in the city. they bring in booth food and materials used by the city.

Kuradalar - Guards, those charged with patrolling both in and out of the city for threats.

Tha'lan - Those who make.
A general, generic and slightly insulting term for craftsmen, generaly used only for someone who is only a crafter and has no other role in society. This is, generaly, a deragatory term, because it implies the subject is unable to perform a more valued job, such as a sekalar who is no longer able to hunt and is put to work tanning hides instead.

A skilled craftsman is generaly refered to by a specific job title, rather than this generic term, as in this type of settlement, skilled craftmen are important, but the nomadic history of the drow creates a strong tendancy to favor the hunters over the builders, and the city is far to young to have removed that view.

Rayex

First Post
Sounds interesting indeed. Though I am not overly familiar with Eberron, I'd like to give this a shot. I am thinking either a Spellthief or a Hexblade.

Also, I have never used the variants you want to use, but I have read them and know more or less how they work. Will of course read up more on them if this is a go.

EvolutionKB

First Post
I was thinking a cleric. More specifcally a cloistered cleric from UA. I'd like to try out the domain feats from complete champion as well. I am also interested in the Ordained champion PrC. I think it could be modified slightly for Vulkoor. Vulkoor has the war domain so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. General character idea is a warrior/prophet. He had originally came from a different family. He prophesized the family's death. They laughed at him, and he stayed hidden when the giants came to kill everybody. He began to wonder more about why certain people survive things, and came to the conclusion that the strong survive. He went to Stormreach for a little bit of time, studying people and their ways before returning to the jungle. There he joined up with the current family, murdered a priest and took his spot. Obviously this guy is a little evil, alignment wise probably NE or LE.

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
Cloistered Cleric is fine, and while I don't have Complete Champion, I have looked over it recently, so the domain feats and the class should be just fine, but be sure and list the feat details in your sheet for me.

The only issue I see story wise is being an outsider who comes in, kills a priest, and takes the possition. Ebberon drow are very clan-focused, and I can't see anyone from the other clans supporting you, since as an outsider they have no reason to.

Now, one easy fix might be to say the priest you killed wasn't a native either - he is from the same orriginal family as you, in fact, he was the priest of the family - the one who told them to ignore your warrnings, but fleed to save his own skin in the end.

Years latter, when you came to Nhalar'ikt and found him, alive and well, you took your revenge on him. Being from the same family, the murder is an 'internal' mater, so no-one could openly take action against you for it.

Which is not to say the priest didn't have freinds who are looking to pay you back, but this way there are no overt legal grounds to do so, so the entire settlement isn't an enemy.

Pyrex

First Post
To let you know, I'm still interested, but I'm leaving town for a few days and won't be able to post anything in the way of character info until I get back on Tuesday.

If there's still a spot available for a Warlock by then, spiffy; but if you get everything rolling along by then I understand if you fill up by then. :)

Remove ads