• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron and Children's literature?

F5

Explorer
So, I'm out at the mall with my 3-yr old daughter, and I see a cute little picture book called "Who is the Beast?". It's about a tiger walking through the jungle, pointing out his features as he goes; "Who is the beast? He has strong legs for jumping, he has long white whiskers, etc, etc,". The gimmick is, as the tiger backtracks through the jungle, that the tiger isn't the beast, it's some other animal in the background...the long whiskers belong to a catfish, the jumpy legs belong to a frog. Cute concept, cute pictures, pretty good kiddie book.

In all fairness, the percentage of people here who care about picture book reviews is pretty small, I realize. The reason that I'm posting is because this cute little picture book was written by Keith Baker. :confused:

It CAN'T be the same Keith Baker (as in, Eberron's Keith Baker), can it? Anyone have any idea?

Dav

First Post
F5 said:
So, I'm out at the mall with my 3-yr old daughter, and I see a cute little picture book called "Who is the Beast?". It's about a tiger walking through the jungle, pointing out his features as he goes; "Who is the beast? He has strong legs for jumping, he has long white whiskers, etc, etc,". The gimmick is, as the tiger backtracks through the jungle, that the tiger isn't the beast, it's some other animal in the background...the long whiskers belong to a catfish, the jumpy legs belong to a frog. Cute concept, cute pictures, pretty good kiddie book.

In all fairness, the percentage of people here who care about picture book reviews is pretty small, I realize. The reason that I'm posting is because this cute little picture book was written by Keith Baker. :confused:

It CAN'T be the same Keith Baker (as in, Eberron's Keith Baker), can it? Anyone have any idea?
Keith Baker (the Eberron creator)'s website does not mention it. I think this is just a case of "similar names." Put in "Keith Baker" sometimes in Google--while "our" Baker shows up a lot, he's not the only one!

JoeBlank

Explorer
Amazon.com seems to think it is the same guy. When you look up "Who is the Beast?", as with most books you can click the author's name to see other books by the same author. The link leads to several Eberron books.

And of course we all know if Amazon says it then it must be true.

Grymar

Explorer
This came up on the official forums a few months back. It is a freaky coincidence of two authors having the same name.

If our KB wrote it, then there would have been twelve beasts, a missing thirteenth, an old empire of previous beasts which had fallen into ruin, and each beast would have had dark, complex motivations for being in the woods and wanting to kill each other.

Firebeetle

Explorer
It happens

My name is John McCarty, and there is a John McCarty who writes documentary books about horror movies (which is the sort of book I'd like to write, mind you.) It's weird to find a book with my name on it in the library.

If I ever get something printed with my name on it, I'll have to use a psuedonym or add my initials or something. I think the writer's union has a rule about this for exactly this reason.

Remove ads