• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [Eberron] Dragonmarks in 4E

Greenfaun

First Post
I'd be happy with a lot of the different options presented so far, but if I were to design it myself I think I'd make the least dragonmark grant an appropriate daily utility power, as well as the ability to take special rituals that only bearers of that dragonmark can use.

I haven't seen information anywhere on how rituals are used, but I think proprietary, out-of-combat utility magic best fits the flavor of the Great Houses and their respective monopolies, and I think that means rituals. I would keep the dragonmark-linked magic items for the same reason.

So, basically, in an emergency a Jorasco Healer or Vadalis Handler could cast Cure Light Wounds or Calm Animals (or the 4e equivalent, of course) respectively, but what they do with their mark most of the time is slow, out-of-combat activity that's more fitting with being in business. Dragonmarked adventurers would still benefit from the daily power, and the rituals might come in handy, but neither one would overwhelm their class powers or other feats.

This is largely based on guesses, though. There are still a lot of rules I need to see before I even know if this is a good suggestion. Sigh.

DreamChaser

Explorer
I suspect that the Dragonmarks will remain feats. The Least Dragonmark will offer abilities on par (but generally less useful in combat) to the racial powers that we have seen many races possess (Infernal Wrath, Fey Step) on a per encounter or per day basis. I don't think that they will be power replacement feats like multiclassing. There is no need; the powers would be a closed and finite set, far more akin in strength to racial powers or class features than class powers.

The additional levels will be feats similar to the Improved Dragonbreath feat for dragonborns. It will enhance their abilities / offer a new ability. As with the current dragonmark feats, a level requirement will prevent a person from gaining a greater mark at 2nd level.

Based upon level, Heir of Siberys would need to be an epic destiny or an epic tier feat. Given that you cannot qualify for the prestige class before 15th level (22.5 level in a 30 level system), destiny seems the way to go. The description of the mark in the books backs this up. Siberys marks are rare and tend to accompany earthshaking events.

Least Dragonmark
You manifest the mark of your lineage, granting you innate mystical power.
Requirements: Dragonmarked race, no other dragonmark feat.
Benefit: You gain one of the "least" powers of your dragonmark.

Lesser Dragonmark
Your dragonmark grows, granting improved power.
Requirements: Least Dragonmark, 6th level.
Benefit: You gain one of the "lesser" powers of your dragonmark.

Greater Dragonmark (Paragon)
Your dragonmark grows to legendary size; few of your line have ever manifested such power.
Requirements: Lesser Dragonmark
Benefit: You gain one of the "greater" powers of your dragonmark.

And possibly:
Siberys Dragonmark (Epic)
As a sign of your destiny as a scion of your line, fate has marked you with the greatest power carried by your blood.
Requirements: Dragonmarked race; no other dragonmark feat.
Benefit: You gain the "Siberys" power of your dragonmark.

DC

Last edited:

Alkiera

First Post
I agree with Greenfaun; a majority of the powers in the dragonmarks are non-combat related. Most of the effects granted by the 3.5 dragonmarks aren't even powers anymore; some are (we think) skill effects (mostly Arcana), others are rituals (teleport, fabricate, clairvoyance/clairaudience, etc, and a bare few are combat-worthy powers, most of which are Utility, not attacks.

This may require some interesting gymnastics on the part of the Eberron campaign books to rebuild them to make sense in the new environment, though he reportedly has some work done already.

TwinBahamut

First Post
The implementation of Dragonmarks in 4E is certainly an interesting topic. While I am not sure I would phrase it as such, making Dragonmarks equivalent to multi-classing is an interesting idea. In such a case, would you take a feat to be part of one of the Dragonmarked Houses (and acquire special benefits for doing so, like added weapon weapon/shield training for Deneith or the Heal skill for Jorasco), and then go on to take the Dragonmarks themselves as later feats?

Certainly, though, both the dragonmarked Heir and Heir of Siberys PrCs could be rebuilt as Paragon Paths. I am not sure what would be an Epic Destiny to match them, though... How could a dragonmark lead to "immortality" and retirement? I suppose "you develop a completely new kind of true dragonmark and found your own House" might work, but that would be tricky to implement.

Anyways, I think 4E would be a good chance to rebuild the powers given by the Dragonamrks themselves. I think they were a bit too disconnected from the roles of the Houses last time around, partly because they were each built using Wizard spells as the base abilities granted. Maybe each Least Dragonamrk can be given a unique at-will utility power equivalent to a Wizard's Cantrip in power, and that power is upgraded into something more substantial as you raise the level of the Dragonmark. I never really liked it that the main point of Dragonamarks as they were used in House business was to activate Dragonmark focus items... Of course, I bet now one of their roles will be to serve as a prerequisite for House-specific Rituals.

Greenfaun

First Post
FWIW, I agree with those saying that the Siberys Heir PrC works better as a Paragon Path (or maybe just a series of Paragon Feats, even) despite its high level requirements in 3.5. It's just not on the scale of the various ways of being immortal, and given the fluff of the draconic prophecy, generating new Marks and founding new Houses would be a Very Bad Thing. Like, potentially "the dragons fly up from Argonessen and reduce everyone who's ever met you to ash," that sort of bad. And that's if "House" Tarkanan doesn't get you first.

Of course, they could change that fluff, but I hope they don't.

Nevertheless, I say Siberys marks are squarely in the realm of the Paragon tier.

Also, the dragonmark heir and Siberys heir PrC's were pretty heinously weak, IIRC. They interact with the setting in ways that I like, but giving up levels for a few SLA's and action point benefits seems like a dubious trade.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Moon-Lancer said:
I think making it a multi class feat that lets you go into a special paragon path works the best.

The problem with this is that it would make every marked character choose their mark as a paragon path rather than allowing for layers of concept. Currently, I could be a fighter, multiclassed to rogue, with a bunch of diplomacy skill training, a kensai paragon path, call myself a swashbuckler and fit in great in Breland.

However, if marks work this same way, I am stuck being a fighter who can either possess the power of my dragonmark or be a swashbuckler.

The concept of multiclass feats may seem elegant, it (potentially) conflicts with other aspects of the system.

DC

Kesh

First Post
Trolls said:
There is an issue in that it skews NPC levels a little (dragonmarked NPCs would have to be high level)

No, they don't. Remember, NPCs (like monsters) don't get built like PCs. If you want that level 2 rogue to have a Greater Dragonmark, go for it.

DreamChaser said:
The concept of multiclass feats may seem elegant, it (potentially) conflicts with other aspects of the system.

I think this option is the most elegant, and the potential conflicts could be eliminated by using the multiclass method, but not actually be 'multiclass'. That way you can be a dragonmarked multi- Fighter/Rogue.

This would allow dragonmarks themselves to be a relatively short list of skills, benefits, and powers that merge neatly into the normal character rules.

I read on another thread that HellCow has used feats for the Least dragonmarks as a house rule in his 4e game...but he could not say whether that was the way it will be in the official version.

Remove ads