• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eberron for 5e - Mark of the Sentinel

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Hi all,

we are just putting together my first 5e campaign. If it is anything like my 4e campaign it will last about 6-7 years. We've decided to set it in Eberron and one of the players is interested in having the mark of the Sentinel. This is what I've come up with. I kind of want dragonmarks to be something special that add to plot, not just something that gives a low level ability someone else has. I wasn't satisfied with 4e or 3.5e dragonmarks.

Here's a draft of what I think the Mark of the Sentinel should give you:

1- Sense Prey. You can sense when you are in the same area as a single being you have designated as your prey. To designate somebody as your prey, you must either meet them or thoroughly study their background. This may include interviewing people from their past. This ability is rough, but you will be able to sense whether you are on the same plane, the same continent, the same city, in the same building. As an example, if your prey is hiding in Sharn, you will know when you enter Sharn that you are in the right city. If you enter a dungeon complex or building where your prey is, you will know they are there. This ability can be blocked by abilities, spells or powers that block divination. You can only have one being designated as prey at any one time.

2- Sentinel block - If an ally within 5 feet of you would take damage from any physical attack, you can use your reaction to swap positions with that ally and take the damage (and other effects) instead of the intended target. This does not work for attacks that target both you and your ally. If you have another ability that allows you to take damage instead of your ally, this ability improves that ability so that you only take half damage once per day when you use your other ability.

Overpowered?

collin

Explorer
I don't think it is overpowered, but how do you propose to allow players to use dragonmarks with the old feat rule? Does every player's character have a dragonmark? If not, then how do you allow for those who do and those who don't?

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Hmm, good point. It seemed to me that House Deneith had two functions. Protect people, and hunt down baddies. I thought Sense Prey would be a good one for showing why house Deneith is better at hunting down baddies.

I'm not too worried about someone with a dragonmark having something extra. In my campaign my players are more plot driven and will make characters based on concepts rather than who has something extra so I don't think it will skew things too much. I might need to rethink the Sense Prey power though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads