• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron isn't Steampunk

Goobermunch

Explorer
Cam Banks said:
I wouldn't be surprised if an Eberron hero never lost his hat in a fight.

Sure he would. Here's how it plays out. The hero is pinned down behind a large crate. The bad guys all have hand crossbows. He peaks up over the crate and they shoot his dusty hat off. Moments later he pops up and whips out his trusty staff of chain-lightning.

As the mooks smoulder, puffs the smoke away from the end of his staff, picks up his hat, dusts it off, and replaces it jauntily on his head.

--G

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Henry said:
My suggestions are:

Spellpunk (because the earlier poster made it sound so damn cool)

I favor that term as well, since I've been using to refer to D&D for years on this messageboard. Whatever you want to call it, it ain't good. When the search for a new campaign setting was announced, I just knew it was going to be something that would epitomize a ridiculously over-the-top magic-driven world. Lightning rails and air-elemental-powered jet planes, huh? Sure, why not? After all, what could ever be heroic about long, arduous treks across great seas or open country?

One edition after another, one campaign setting after another, D&D has gradually become a fantasy game that's completely devoid of the fantastic. Acquiring a magic sword is now about as wondrous and exciting as taking a 10-minute ride down to Ace Hardware or Radio Shack. And nobody at WotC, past or present, seems to think it should be any different. In the latest issue of Dragon, Eberron's creator likens it to "Lord of the Rings". I don't know how the heck he can make that association when magic in LotR is largely subdued, making it spectacular when Gandalf does actually display a bit of it. I know fans of Middle Earth or Westeros that I've introduced to D&D have found themselves underwhelmed by the tabletop boom-blasting videogame that they found themselves playing. As jaded as most of us are, a lot of us don't think about how odd it is to take encounters with demons and fireballs and raising the dead for granted.

Not that I begrudge spellpunk settings, but I do wish that WotC would acknowledge that there are different flavors of fantasy. That's why I for one am looking forward to Grim Tales and the Conan RPG.

Last edited:

romp

First Post
Henry said:
My suggestions are:

Spellpunk (because the earlier poster made it sound so damn cool)
Spell Noir
Fantapulp
SpellTech

Or, alternately:

Dr. Jones & Dragons
Baker-Powered Fantasy
WotCPunk
Dungeons & Bling-Bling

:D

my vote goes for Spell Noir since Eberron has a magic focus. Bling-Bling pulp fantasy with lots of extra crunchy high speed bits worked in too ... :D

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
romp said:
:D

my vote goes for Spell Noir since Eberron has a magic focus. Bling-Bling pulp fantasy (my emphasis, MM) with lots of extra crunchy high speed bits worked in too ... :D

"Pulp fantasy", without even thinking about it. The meme is spreading. :D

Klaatu B. Nikto

First Post
Seems kinda Jules Verne with a bit of H.G. Wells with a bit of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Lost World' to me. Aren't they considered Victorian fantasy / early science fiction?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Whatever you want to call it, it ain't good.

I feel the opposite. :)

When the search for a new campaign setting was announced, I just knew it was going to be something that would epitomize a ridiculously over-the-top magic-driven world. Lightning rails and air-elemental-powered jet planes, huh? Sure, why not?

Why not, indeed......advance the timeline a bit, develop a different XP earning system, and you've got a world where it's not only possible, but likely....

After all, what could ever be heroic about long, arduous treks across great seas or open country?

In D&D, almost nothing ever was. You're only a slave to a long, arduous trek at low levels, and even then low-level comfort spells can make food and water, keep you warm or cool, or give you a horse or three. The long, arduous trek was only the part the DM glossed over to get you to the dungeon. Sometimes, you'd get a random encounter....

And I don't see any of those basic ideas thwarted in Eberron. Your airship can still be attacked by primitive native cultists on the back of wyverns in transit, for instance, just the same way your long arduous trek can be ambushed by orcs in the night. It's only different in the trappings, really. Indeed, once you've take the airship to the mountain city, you still have a long, arduous trek through the mean streets and over the sea of sand before you reach your location, and have a good ol' fashioned orc ambush, too.

Basically, long, arduous treks are the things of low magic and low levels, and Eberron seems to assume neither.

One edition after another, one campaign setting after another, D&D has gradually become a fantasy game that's completely devoid of the fantastic. Acquiring a magic sword is now about as wondrous and exciting as taking a 10-minute ride down to Ace Hardware or Radio Shack.\

Whaaaa? If anything, it's become more fantastic. Less focus on historical armaments, more on armor spikes. Less trying to achieve the Middle Earth ideal than trying to make wizards fun to play by launching fireballs. Now, less castles and horses and more magical trains and airships....how is that LESS fantastic? Indeed, the omnipresence of magic is a very *fantastic* quality, much more so that when the only +1 sword in the nation is the king's ancient heirloom.

And nobody at WotC, past or present, seems to think it should be any different.

The majority of the buying audience doesn't seem to think so, either.

In the latest issue of Dragon, Eberron's creator likens it to "Lord of the Rings". I don't know how the heck he can make that association when magic in LotR is largely subdued, making it spectacular when Gandalf does actually display a bit of it.

Perhaps in an epic feel? Perhaps in ancient empires and savage peoples? Perhaps a struggle against evil in the dark realms? LotR was much more than Middle Earth and Gandalf's magic light of unquestionable elfish whatever...which I hardly think is spectacular, and actually think is kinda lame, but can accept it on allegorical grounds. ;) A game, I can't accept on allegorical grounds alone.

I know fans of Middle Earth or Westeros that I've introduced to D&D have found themselves underwhelmed by the tabletop boom-blasting videogame that they found themselves playing. As jaded as most of us are, a lot of us don't think about how odd it is to take encounters with demons and fireballs and raising the dead for granted.

Eh, that's your preferred style then. But just because you like it better doesn't make it better. :)

Not that I begrudge spellpunk settings, but I do wish that WotC would acknowledge that there are different flavors of fantasy.

I don't see them denying this....there's a world of difference between Eberron and, say, Forgotten Realms, and I think they see this as an advantage rather than a hinderance. LotR rip-offs are a dime a dozen. They're going for a different market, hoping it is as popular.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
WizarDru said:
Given all the material we've seen so far, I'd assume the former, not the latter. The one travelogue is one full of spirited, Indiana Jonesish adventurism, more Quartermain than Quartermass, if you take my meaning. The world has both civilized places, like the cities of the great Empire, and more wild, untamed and unexplored places, like the frontiers. I got the impression from the scanned Gencon flyer and the two Dragon previews we've now seen that it's a very heroic, 'pulpy' sort of setting. A dystopian future doesn't give action points.

Hmm, Quartermainian... no, that doesn't work. League of Extraordinary Gentlement meets D&D, nah, too long winded.

:D Lightbulb :D

Extraordinary Fantasy!

CCamfield

First Post
Splitting already split hairs

I don't really want to call it pulp fantasy because pulp fantasy, really... is Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith. Conan and swords & sorcery. Their stories were first published in 30s pulp magazines. So I'd go with fantasy pulp, a la Garrett P.I. or Doc Sidhe. Although I take it that there aren't any cars in Eberron, are there?

As far as steampunk is concerned, actually, the phrase is ... kind of weird. I first took it to mean high-tech using steam power, grimy urban environments and so on, but the writers who coined the phrase in discussing the books they were writing (Tim Powers, Blaylock, and one other guy to start with) weren't even necessarily writing stories involving that kind of high tech stuff. The Anubis Gates (Powers' book) doesn't really have that, although it does have nasty urban London c. 1830, if I have my dates right. Pre-Victorian, anyhow.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Umbran my friend, you are truly odd. But I still like you.

Btw if you want long ardurous treks folks, I recommend the Festering Fields or the Ukudran desert. They have some nice hard treks. ;)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
CCamfield said:
I don't really want to call it pulp fantasy because pulp fantasy...

Unfortunately people are already using it unconsciously. When that happens it's already too late.

Besides which, Conan etc. already have a name, sword and sorcery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads