(Eberron) Legacies - Updated 15 June

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Tragically, none of the other players seem to be as called by the siren song of bonus xp as I am. I can only guess at what they actually think about things based on their stated views. Fel, for example, is one paranoid and psychopathic little changeling. Gerron has not the least bit of respect for the law when it gets between him and his goals. Maeve is scared of most of the things we've faced, and I think she'd rather be holed up drinking her family's money away than going on adventures. She's awfully sensible.

Haven

Cedious

First Post
Shieldhaven said:
Fel, for example, is one paranoid and psychopathic little changeling. Gerron has not the least bit of respect for the law when it gets between him and his goals. Maeve is scared of most of the things we've faced

lol we have a little halfling (rogue) thats just a pain in the dm's ass *cough* (me)
2 warforged warriors (recently died) that was the we don't care about the law type....and they made two more warforged that seem to be the same way.
my bro just made a 1/2 giant (warrior) that im sure will go down that road
and then we have a gnome (artificer) that is just a pain in the ass when in comes to taking notes and designs of things....

seems like our games have a couple things in common....

^_^ l8er gotta get back to work :)

Shieldhaven

Explorer
The Eldeen Reaches do not agree with me at all. Druids are thick on the ground here, and some number of them – gods only know how many – believe that nondivine casters – arcane, such as myself, and psychics like Kelvin – are a blight upon the land and need to be eradicated. There’s no solid way to tell them apart from any other druid, except by the ravening hatred that may or may not be obvious. Another group of them encourages the death of nature so that it may be reborn. This seems remarkably backward to me, much like slaughtering a herd of cattle so as to cause more cattle to be born by some means of spontaneous generation. The Wardens of the Wood seem all right, as mankind and nature are indeed intrinsically dangerous to one another. One group is identified by their connections to the fey, and a last group she called simply the “enforcers of nature.”

Our guide never came, long though we waited. One of the d’Ghallandas gave us a map to the observatory, so we headed off on our own. We found the body of Derwin the guide along the way, identified solely by his red hair and green cloak. He was dead, and swarms of insects were slowly devouring him. We were attacked not long thereafter by four skeletal wolves. I missed badly with my first scorching ray, as the undergrowth obstructed my shot somewhat. When we had finally engaged them in melee, Maeve managed to turn all of them. We did not dare give chase, and continued on our way. They attacked again just two minutes later. Realizing that we could not hope to outrun them, we destroyed them. We took a few minor wounds. Fel stopped mocking my failure with the scorching ray once he became the beneficiary of my Feline Grace spell. I think he had forgotten about the time before, when we first got the axe, that I cast the spell on him. He had borrowed Maeve’s mace to fight the wolves. I suspect that he will see such encounters as a good enough reason to invest in a pair of light maces.

We arrived not too much the worse for wear at the observatory. The wolf that had been shadowing us for the last mile or so turned out – no great surprise – to be a druid. She introduced herself as Kayleigh, and offered us some information on the observatory, the eclipse, and so forth. The observatory is built according to the instructions and traditions of dragons. The important things to look for during the eclipse are when and where the moon is eclipsed and which stones of the observatory it is between. The moon is tied to neither Lyrandar nor Phiarlan/Thuranni, but a lost house, or possibly a house yet to come. Quite a confusing situation, but there you have it. It was Kayleigh who gave me a brief rundown of the druidic orders.

The eclipse drew near to the Ring of Siberys. I might have made more observations, but we were attacked by enemies hidden in the forest. One of the druids turned into a bear and went on a rampage through the woods. The rest of the druids created walls of thorns and continued their observation unhindered by the battle. The four of us did what we could to fight; Gerron and Fel squared off against a floating undead eyeball that was very difficult to bring down. There was another caster out there, but I was unable to catch sight of him at any point. I used several sunrods in this attempt. He cast arcane bolts at Maeve and me, but my Shield of the Eldritch Forge was able to turn them aside easily. I used several more charges off of my wand; it is now nearing its halfway mark, and I will need to make sure I have the money to replace it when the time comes.

Once the attack had subsided, we returned to observation. At the totality, one of the druids keeled over and bled profusely from eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. His blood pooled on the stones and formed words in Draconic. I used my scroll of Translation to read the words; I only managed to catch two lines of the six before the words faded back into a meaningless puddle. Another of the druids copied down more of the words, but he would not tell me what he had read – I’m not entirely sure that he was able to read that dialect of Draconic.

The brazen ones shall approach from across the years
The labyrinthine key arises from the depths

I talked to Kayleigh after the attack. She admitted that they knew someone was likely to die, but didn’t see fit to tell any of us that because we didn’t ask. I am very angry about this – we most certainly did ask her what else we might need to know. I guess in the future I’ll have to ask people if they’re deliberately being evasive in the hopes that it will get us killed. She indicated that the necromancer who attacked was probably part of a Cult of the Dragon Below. Some things in the prophecy that we gained match up with the draconic Prophecy, though that needs a lot of clarification. We wanted to stay the night at the circle and travel in the morning, but then all of the druids left and we thought better of it. We headed back to the Ghallanda camp wounded, low on spells, and overwhelmed with new questions.

Some questions that remain:
Well, the obvious one – how does the prophecy relate to everything and everyone else? Will the druid who got all of the other lines actually send me any of them? Did we do something (aside from, obviously, helping to defend them from attack) that caused the druids to dislike or distrust us? How does this relate to the axe, if at all? Was Kayleigh hoping that one of us would be the one to die? Who killed Derwin? Is there any way to avenge that death now? Why does the Cult of the Dragon below want to stop anyone else from learning about this prophecy? Or is their hatred for druids general, and this incident simply an attack of opportunity? Who are the brazen ones? Could the axe be “the labyrinthine key” that has risen from the depths? Both the old fortune-teller and Brother Jared called it a key, and it is hardly a stretch to say that it rose from the depths. Across the years – actual time travel, which is not possible according to the magic theory lessons that I have had, or waking from a long slumber, or simply coming back into a coterminous position (as with the planes) after a long time of being in a remote position?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
We’re now on our way back to Sharn. We slept late yesterday morning, then spent some time debating a course of action. We eventually settled on going back to the observatory to speak with some of the druids. The walk was uninterrupted, with Fel scouting ahead just a bit. And to think that I had written that the Eldeen Reaches didn’t agree with me before this…

The horror was revealed as soon as Fel could see into the clearing. An aberration of Khyber, kin to a beholder or perhaps one in truth, led a group of lesser aberrations that Gerron called dolgaunts and dolgrims – creatures made out of goblins and hobgoblins. I wove a Cloak of Transparency around Fel so that he could get closer and examine the murdered druids that lay in the clearing. Apparently something caused my spell to fail intermittently and reveal Fel’s presence. I am uncertain whether it was a trait of the area that I had not previously noticed, or if it was some action on the part of the creatures. He fled after pocketing what he could from one of the druids, leading the lesser creatures on a merry chase back to us. We made good our escape once the Cloak became a little more reliable and the creatures could no longer find Fel. The pouches he had taken off the druid contained magical and alchemical components of considerable value.

We fled back to the village and warned the residents. We helped them pack up all of their possessions and leave for Greenheart, but we could not accompany them, as we had to meet up with our contact in House Vadalis if we ever wanted to get home. It’s seriously inconvenient to have an itinerary one simply can’t break when one discovers that abominations from Khyber have taken up residence and caused property values to bottom out. Darien d’Ghallanda indicated the road that the Vadalis would use, and we set off to meet him halfway. We made camp a few paces off of the road so that I could sleep and prepare more spells – Maeve had used almost none, and was not so concerned with resting. So Gerron, Maeve, and Fel kept the vigil for the rider from Vadalis.

Something else showed up first, though. I’m still not exactly sure what they were, but they were not unlike centipedes animated in the manner of zombies. Two of these creatures attacked us, and were on top of me before I was even awake. I was considerably wounded by their attacks. I got enough breathing room to cast a few spells, and we eventually pounded them into dust. I tried to sleep again, but the Vadalis rider showed up not long thereafter and we headed for Varna, where we boarded a skyship for Sharn.

Now that we’ve seen another powerful agent in this mess, WHAT THE FLAMING HELL IS GOING ON? Intelligent aberrations are most likely working to release their masters in Khyber. Is that all part of the Dhakaani plan? Or did we stumble onto a completely different evil plan that we can’t possibly do anything about because the conspirators are completely out of our league? Did any druids survive? Did they come up with any more useful information on that prophecy? Were these same creatures behind the attack that came during the eclipse? It’s awfully strange if the druids suffered two unrelated attacks, but why would this second group be so overwhelmingly successful while the first failed utterly? We didn’t play that big a part. Maybe the zombie eyes were just testing their defenses?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Our journey home by skyship definitely qualifies as another significant brush with death. It has been awhile since I’ve had one of those – a week or two at least – and I have to say that I am sorry to see such a thing again. On the first day of the journey from Varna south to Sharn, lookouts spotted black dots in the distance. As these dots drew closer, they proved to be raiders. Some of them were men riding gryphons, while others rode a flying carpet. We prepared ourselves for battle as best we could, and killed a few of the warriors with arrows and arcane bolts from my wand before they drew close enough to threaten us. A number of the sailors stood with us, while others fought in the aft of the ship (at least, I think that’s what the back end of a ship is called – do the names change when the ship is fully capable of flight?). My Scorching Rays were remarkably effective, more so than normal as our foes did not immediately engage Gerron and Fel in melee. The arcane bolts that I cast were reasonably effective as well, and I depleted much of my wand’s capacity.

That is about the full extent of the good news from this battle. A dozen or more sailors were killed. The leaders, an arcane caster of some stripe and a priestly necromancer, ended the fight by sparing Gerron’s life. The necromancer was devastatingly effective in the battle, though the gryphons were maddened by bloodlust and pain once their riders were killed and he had to defend himself against them just as we did. We nearly lost Gerron again; I had flashbacks to our first venture, to the Undercity. Their demands were rather confusing – I think they wanted us to come with them, but they gave up this demand when Gerron proved to be able to heal himself repeatedly. I am also a bit confused as to the necromancer’s chosen faith; if I recall correctly, he expressed devotion to both the Keeper and the Dragon Below. I suppose there is no practical reason that he should not look for offers of power from both sources, but I have not heard of such a thing before. First time for everything.

The four of us survived, well-nigh-miraculously. We were received as something like unto heroes in Sharn. I drank more than my fill for several nights, and I have not one copper coin less now than I did when I began. I also sold off the sword, buckler, chain shirt, and gems we found on the one gryphon-rider whose body we recovered. I’m a little worried that the merchant knew something I didn’t, because he offered a price for the lot that was substantially more than fair. Maybe I simply underestimated the value of the gems. Unless it was truly egregious, I have a hard time worrying about it, as the sale of the spectacles of arcane sight finally went through.

My dear cousin Manarix sent me a letter offering eight thousand, and I have accepted this offer. It is, to be honest, more than I had expected, even calling in the favor or two that Manarix owed me. I suspect that he’s also getting a decent cut that he’s not telling me about, but if so, more power to him. Two thousand for each of us will really make a difference. At the risk of counting my chickens before they have hatched, I hope to scribe several new spells into my grimoire with this money. I am putting the finishing touches on my knowledge of Aiysha’s Fleetfoot; a number of the other spells I have been studying are – pardon the image – percolating rather nicely. I cannot help but wonder how much of a difference it might have made if I had been able to cast Aiysha’s Fleetfoot before the battle against the raiders.

We also met with Dean Harrison, who has asked for a formal report of our observations. He remains vague about what he hopes to learn from this. He dodged a number of very pointed questions from Gerron as to the nature of our mission and the remarkable expenditure of resources that went into it. Gerron did get him to say that the whole ordeal was a test of sorts, though he still wouldn’t say what his long-term expectation was. He also avoided any discussion of recompense to us, as if the thirty charges I have spent from my wand of arcane bolts came without cost to me. While the wand is hardly devastating, it is reliable, and I will have to replace it before too much longer. I wish we had brought down the mage that fought with the raiders – he had a more powerful wand of arcane bolts that I coveted highly. I wonder if we’ll see the two of them again.

What is it going to take to get the Dean to realize that he needs to provide a budget for more than just traveling expenses? What will the Dean be able to learn from my report, and will he tell us anything of the conclusions he draws? Now that the druids are dead, is there any way to get the other four lines of that blood-scrawl? Who were the raiders working for? Why would they want to capture us? Could they have just wanted a few more lives to sacrifice to the Keeper or Khyber?

----------------------

We finally had another session after missing two semi-weekly sessions. It felt good to get back to this game, and we finally hit fifth level! We'll be playing again tomorrow, making the first time we've played two weeks in a row. The DM wants to get caught up a bit for the weeks we missed, then go back to our old schedule. We'll see if that happens according to plan.

The encounter with the raiders was really super-heinous, by the way. There were something like four griffons (please excuse Teagen's pretentious spelling!), each of which had a rider - probably a Ftr2 or War3 - and then the mage and cleric were high enough level to take a few hits of their own. At the time I-as-player was very frustrated that most of the fighters were carried off by their griffons once they were slain, so we didn't get their masterwork gear, and the mage and cleric always had more tricks up their sleeve to let them get away. Low treasure distribution has been a frequent gripe of mine in this campaign, as is probably clear from Teagen's journal entry.

Shieldhaven

Shieldhaven

Explorer
And once again, we’re off for a journey into gods-know-what. Five days after we got back to Sharn, the Dean called us into his office to send us far, far away. This time it’s Xen’drik. If we are successful, his story will at least confirm its own veracity.

We had been in town for less than a day when I got in touch with Manarix to finish the deal. He paid with a note for eight thousand, notarized by Sivis and drawn against Kundarak. He stayed for a few minutes of banter. “When are you giving up this gallivanting?” for example. “Why don’t you join the family business full-time?” To which I can’t say much more than, “Not yet. Someday.” He also gave a slightly-better-than-neutral response to the idea of selling such “recovered” goods again in the future. In theory I’m learning magic that will make my service to House Cannith really worth something. In practice I’m trying to keep my skin intact long enough for it to be cured, rather like a ham, until it is useful to House Cannith. I settled on finishing up my research on Shockwave, figuring that it would be particularly useful while we were in Sharn. Maeve and I wrote our report to the Dean in record time.

Then I started spending money at a prodigious rate. I’ve learned to bind magic to weapons and armor, much the same way that ink binds magic to paper. First one of Fel’s swords, then Gerron’s axe. The first tier of enhancement isn’t really impressing anyone, but Xen’drik just might be the kind of place where we really need magic-touched weaponry. I also bought some spell scrolls, Unweaving and Wind Dancing, to scribe into a dragonshard that I bought – not a cheap process, but also not vulnerable to fire or water. Suffice to say, as soon as we got a serious influx of money, we began hemorrhaging it. I’ve been trying to keep track of who owes what to whom, since I’m still holding onto the note and simply drawing money against it as necessary. Maeve gave me a bit of her share so I could get a new wand of arcane bolts from House Cannith.

While I was working with the weapons, Maeve was socializing with scholars and lurking in the library. She learned that modern scholarship does not accept the existence of a 14th moon, as our current theories would necessitate. There may or may not be a Draconic Prophecy. Fragments of this thing surface from time to time, and even those scholars who accept its existence do not know what it meant for Siberys, Eberron, and Khyber.

I do not know what Gerron and Fel were doing while I was enchanting their gear. I assume it was productive at least in their own views, but I find imbuing magic into metal to be one of the most taxing things I have ever done, and I saw them only to pick up or drop off their weapons. It is, on the other hand, intensely satisfying to think that I might be making something that will last for centuries, maintained by the magic I have woven into it, and something that might be improved as my own powers become more significant.

I was halfway through with Gerron’s axe when the Dean called us to his office and told us that he was sending us to Xen’drik in two days’ time. An expedition team of students has gone missing down there, and he wants us to go find them. It seems to me like a rescue team should at least outnumber the original team, but the Dean clearly does not see it that way. On the good side, I will be able to take my horse Tiassa with me on the ship. Dean Harrison gave us names and descriptions of the five research assistants. A native guide named Xilonen will also be meeting us, with a glyphbook. The students were following up research on a giant city in the desert.

Well, we know basically nothing about the students or what kind of trouble they got into. The question still remains, despite all of our asking: “What is the Dean really after?” Is there any way at all for Xen’drik to shed light on the problems that actually seem to matter – the axe and the prophecy? What is going on with the moons?

-----------------------

No combat this time. The session was all about planning and gathering information. Frustratingly, I know OOC a whole lot about what's going on, because it involves a lot of Eberron history. I still have no idea what the Dean's really after, though.

I assume everyone can work out my "code" of spell names. I just felt like giving some of the super-common low-level spells a more poetic name.

Shieldhaven

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Xen’drik is a lovely place, if you don’t mind rainstorms that you could set a water clock by, mosquitoes enough to choke a dragon, and ambushes from native tribes of lizardmen who hate anything not covered in scales. At least the elves have been friendly thus far.

We arrived a few days ago in New Wroat and met Xilonen. I confess to being a little scandalized by the various states of undress in which the natives carry out their daily labors. That’s not to say that it doesn’t make good sense in this climate. Apparently Xen’drik is the birthplace of the elves, and the dark elves (or “drow” as Xilonen calls them) were the ones who did not go to Aerenal.

It was Xilonen that informed the Dean of the students’ disappearance, as they failed to check in with him at the appointed time. He traveled with the caravans of the giants in the deserts. Yuan-ti and lizardfolk are great dangers in these jungles. (How strange it is to write these things and have them be real. It all sounds like a great fey-spun tale to a Brelander like me.) Gerron and I made contact with our family members in New Wroat. I’m not exactly sure how I am related to Joshua d’Cannith, but he has gone well-nigh native. His house is packed with oddities that he has used for his crafting, for want of the normal components. He asked that we find some broadleaf, an herb that grows in the wilds. Gerron’s contact instructed him to keep an eye out for Siberys dragonshards.

We equipped ourselves with a great deal of mosquito netting and such, at Xilonen’s instruction. He did not, on the other hand, bother to mention that we would need hammocks, even though we asked him directly what we would need. I’m really quite amazed at how often that happens – we ask someone for information on a topic, and they overlook the most important aspect. The druids of the Eldeen Reaches were the worst about this by far, but it’s a recurring pattern. I suspect that it will only get worse as we go.

As we traveled, it rained. We saw a curious bright light, possibly fire, on the side of a cliff in the distance. I didn’t catch the name of the first drow village that we came to, but the chief’s name was Mixtli – just my best guess on spelling. We had not been in the village for more than half an hour when the chief’s hut went up in flames. Once the fire was extinguished, we asked them all the questions that we could think to ask. They knew nothing of the fire’s cause and seemed ready to pretend nothing had happened, even though such burnings had been going on for some time.

Gerron, Maeve, and I supported the idea of going to the fire in the hills to see if it was the cause; Fel thought it a waste of time and an unnecessary risk. He’s not exactly wrong, but it is a chance to help people and perhaps improve Morgrave University’s reputation in a small way. Of course, with our luck, it will be an elaborate plot by another group of wicked Khyber cultists seeking to sacrifice all that lives and breathes to their dark god, or something. I mean, we can’t even go to an observatory without getting jumped by hordes of undead and a beholder. The family business would probably even find a way to be a constant threat to life and limb, at this point.

That night, we learned the use and necessity of hammocks. The guide didn’t mention them because he can sleep up in a tree. Lot of good that does me. I should learn Rope Trick, but I didn’t have time to learn the spells that I could afford, much less those I couldn’t. I hate the feeling of bumbling from one disaster to the next.

This morning, we were ambushed by a group of lizardmen. They hurled down javelins from the treetops. I sent Gerron into the trees after them, with the aid of a Wind Dancing spell. A Shockwave took out one of them. I’m kicking myself afterward, of course, as there were much more efficient ways to deal with that one, instead of wasting one of my most powerful spells for the day on it. On the bright side, the spell knocked it unconscious rather than killing it, and it survived the fall to the ground. I questioned it briefly in Draconic before ending its life. It said, “The Burning Sun will seek its vengeance.” This vengeance comes because we are not scaled. Bleeding great.

I write this while sitting near a ravine, waiting for Gerron and Fel to finish examining the long-neglected rope bridge that spans it. I plan to use my Feline Grace spell to make it a little easier for me to cross, but there’s nothing I can do to help the others. There’s also my lone cantrip of repair, which will be better than nothing. The limitations on our resources frustrate me once again – my instructors taught their classes on spellcasting and such with a base assumption of nigh-unlimited resources, which is even funnier when you consider that I was trained at Morgrave, home of one curiously tight-fisted dean.

What else has Xilonen forgotten to mention? What is the source of the fire on the hillside? How many more things will try to kill us between here and there? Is that fire the Burning Sun that the lizardman was talking about, or is there something more that will come out and eat us?

-------------------

This update comes after one session with no entry, as there was no combat and little in the way of conflict. The events of that session were folded into this entry. The most recent session ran past the end of this entry, but things began happening very quickly and there was no point at which Teagan might have sat down to write in his journal.

I hope other people are enjoying reading this. The pageviews count creeps upward, so there's more than just me.

Pure Puppet

First Post
I, for one, am loving this. I do have a few questions, however.

What are the races/classes of your fellow party members? The 'Floating undead eyeball', what was that?

The 'Shockwave' spell you mentioned, is that the one mentioned in the Sharn sourcebook?

And, finally, I think I recognize the 'Burning Sun' thing; if I'm not mistaken, I have that adventure saved on my hardrive.

I'm really looking forward to future installments.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
The party, as of current writing:

Teagen Allister d'Cannith, human male Wiz (Transmuter) 5
Gerron d'Tharashk, human male Brb3(?)/Rng2(?) or maybe 4/1, not sure
Maeve ir'Bacct, human female Cleric (Cloistered, from UA) 5, of the Sovereign Host
Fel, changeling 'male' (better than 50% of the time) Rog 5

The DM is not in the habit of telling us the stats of the creatures we're fighting. There is a whole lot that we do not know about the world and the enemies we have killed, or not, along the way. This is occasionally a source of frustration. I don't know exactly what the floating undead eyeball was - as far as Teagen is concerned, it was a zombified beholder, not that he has a great grasp on what a beholder actually is. He doesn't study necromancy (barred school), so he doesn't grasp the fact that zombification should probably cause it to lose all of its eye-rays. It only ever used one or maybe two.

Shockwave is, in fact, the spell from Sharn: City of Handrails Mandated by OSHA. It's one of the few spell names I didn't bother changing.

The Burning Sun thing... well, I don't have the adventure saved on my hard drive, so I don't know if it's the same one, and don't really want to know. The DM does use heavily modified modules from time to time, so I would not be surprised. Earlier tonight (I usually post the afternoon of game night, because I procrastinate) we played through the latter half of it, I think. We left before an encounter that we thought would probably (literally) eat us for lunch, on which more later.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Ah, the joys of fleeing for one’s life from what is probably a dragon, size unknown. Moreover, we’re likely to bring down a lot of wrath on the nice drow villagers we were trying to help, but any other course of action would have made our efforts for naught.

I should pick up where I left off. We crossed the bridge, nearly losing everyone but me in the process. Moments later we were beset by a pack (herd?) of monitor lizards. It was not a hard fight, but I had to cast a few more arcane bolts out of my wand as well as Armor of the Eldritch Forge. I had already turned Fel invisible, and he was making his way up the hill to a pair of pyramids as we fought. There was a great golden device on top of one pyramid, with huge crystal lenses to direct and focus the light of the sun. Fel apparently tried to stab one of the shaman-type lizardmen up there and killed another one. Then all hell broke loose, as the first shaman escaped and alerted his horde of followers and their monitor lizards. The four of us made haste to bail Fel out. Gerron and Fel devastated the battlefield as they fought their way toward each other. I mostly tried to keep the lizards off of Maeve and Xilonen with my wand and my rapidly-dwindling spells. We ended the battle quickly.

Maeve magically searched the bases of the pyramids for secret doors while Fel and I argued about the dismantling of the device, which was marked “Eye of the Sun” in Giant. Several Siberys dragonshards were built into it as well. He apparently wanted to be able to rebuild in back in Sharn, while I had no higher ambitions than making sure it stayed inoperative – and maybe a few parts would remain saleable. It was, in any case, not easy to take apart or carry away.

Maeve had by this time discovered a door in the side of the pyramid, and we managed to get it open. We left it ajar as we passed into a downward-sloping corridor. Bas-relief on the walls showed a meeting between a group of giants and a dragon that had descended from the sun. The giants and their human-sized servants brought the dragon gifts, and in return it gave them a piece of the sun. The giants put this eye on a low pyramid on a low hill. Something came out of the eye to burn some sort of insect-like creature. Fel discovered and (variously) dealt with a number of traps, all of which blur together in a general haze of danger in my mind. As he pressed a little farther, he suddenly turned and ran all the way back to the main entrance without explaining anything. We found this… not a little worrisome. Then I did the same thing. I usually have solid, comprehensible reasons when I flee in terror. This was not one of those times.

By the time I had calmed down and rejoined Gerron and Maeve, neither of whom fled in unreasoning terror, I had come to the conclusion that a dragon was in the immediate vicinity. This theory was well-supported when I began to hear a voice in Draconic questioning us. We persuaded it to switch to Elven, and Fel conversed with it at some length, as he is the best at the art of deceit. We eventually got the idea that it would be very cross upon discovering the destruction of the Eye of the Sun, so we made some polite excuses and departed. Which brings me to the current moment: we’re running.

How old is this dragon? Is it the original inhabitant of the pyramid who gave the Eye of the Sun to the giants? That seems unlikely, if only because such a massive and ancient dragon would probably have been mentioned in rumors before now – also, Gerron and Maeve did manage to resist its dragonfear. If it’s not all that old, do we stand a chance of actually defeating it? Will the drow villagers kill us for stirring up this trouble?

First post after a very long hiatus of game. Conflicting schedules, and all that. Looking forward to playing tonight.

Remove ads