• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Names, names and more names!

Deadguy

First Post
Names always seem to be the bane of role-players. It's surprising how many players seem to have really clear ideas of their character's traits, history, appearance and equipment, but when it comes to filling in that box on the character sheet marked 'Name' they go to pieces. That's how we end up with so many 'Bobs'.

Now, specifically, I get to start an Eberron campaign this Thursday (yippee!), so I was wondering if anyone has put in some time and effort coming up with names for the setting divided by race, culture or region? I am particularly interested in names for people from Cyre, since it seems likely the PCs will all start out as refugees from there.

If not, perhaps we could try brainstorming some up?

shilsen

Adventurer
You could try checking the Eberron boards at the WotC website. IIRC, there have been some useful threads on Eberron names there.

Deadguy

First Post
shilsen said:
You could try checking the Eberron boards at the WotC website. IIRC, there have been some useful threads on Eberron names there.
I tried searching but didn't get any joy. If anyone has any pointers that would be helpful.

Andor

First Post
The new 5 nations books has a pile of names by country. I'd give you some, but I just loaned it out. You might flip through it at your FLGS.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Yes, Five Nations has common and popular names for people from those countries. Also, IIRC, the main Eberron Campaign Setting book also has suggested names, at least for the non-human races.

Deadguy

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
Yes, Five Nations has common and popular names for people from those countries. Also, IIRC, the main Eberron Campaign Setting book also has suggested names, at least for the non-human races.
Having now had a chance to look at the Five Nations book, sadly there are no examples of the names used in Cyre. Indeed the Cyre section is decidedly about the Mournlands. Now, of course, this can be defended as logical - the Mournlands are what you adventure in now. But it does mean that characters playing Cyrans lack a similar depth of background as the remaining four Nations. :\

MadMaxim

First Post
Races of Eberron includes suggestions for names all the playable races to make them sound more "Ebberon-ish".

EDIT: Forgot you were looking for Cyre-specific names. Then Races of Eberron can't help you. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Deadguy

First Post
And then he was struck by the thought that Keith Baker has a really rather good book (City of Towers) which includes a fair few Cyran refugees :eek:. A quick trawl, and voilà , a list of names. Good enough to start a campaign at least.

Remove ads