• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron Psionic PRC: Lightbringer of Il-Yannah

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I am looking to play an Eberron all-Kalashtar, all-the-time game, and it needs a healer. I like playing healers, but one of the big draws to me about this game was getting to use Psionics. Psionic healers don't seem to come close to the healing even druids can dish out. this is a little dissapointing. I thought a hybrid Cleric/Psion PrC would be a pretty good compromise and the Lightbringer of Il-Yannah is what I came up with. Let me know what you think.

The Lightbringer of Il-Yannah

The Kalashtar that devote themselves wholly to perfecting body and mind through meditation, and then taking that Perfect Clarity of perfection through The Divine Light of Il-Yannah and use it to fight the ravages of the Dreaming Dark are called Lightbringers. Many lightbringers perfect themselves through Psionic powers, just as many perfect themselves in contemplation of the divine aspects of Il-Yannah. A few Kalashtar have managed to blend their meditation of the divine and the psionic and worship all of the facets of the ligh of Il-Yannah.
Hit Die: d6

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Kalashtar
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Autohypnosis 6 ranks.
Feats: Psionic Meditation.
Spells: Able to cast 2nd level divine spells.
Psionics: Able to manifest 2nd level psionic powers.

Class Skills
The Lightbringer of Il-Yannah's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Lightbringer of Il-Yannah.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Lightbringer of Il-Yannah gains no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields.
Perfect Control: A Lightbringer has a strong uderstanding of Il-Yannah's divine light that allows him to expend his Psionic Focus when casting a spell or manifesting a power. Doing so allows him to treat his character level as his caster or manifester level for that single spell.
Power of Il-Yannah: A Lightbringer of Il-Yannah's class level stacks with levels in other classes that grant the Turn/Destroy Undead ability.
Clarity of Faith: At 2nd level, a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah can expend a turning attempt to become psionically focused as a free action. Becoming Psionically Focused in this way requires a Concentration check as normal.
Spells per day/powers known: At levels 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9 a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah gains new spells per day as if he had also attained a level in any one divine spell-casting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He also gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in any one manifesting class he belonged to previously.
Lightbringer: When psionically focused, the pure metaphysical Light of Il-Yannah shines through a Lightbringer. At level 4, any magical or psionic effects with the [darkness] descriptor of spell level less than the Lightbringer's class level are supressed with-in 20 feet of the Lightbringer of Il-Yannah.
Quori Turning: At level 5, if a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah expends his Psionic Focus when Turning/Destroying undead, he can also turn Outsiders of the (Quori) subtype as if they were undead. If such an outsider would be destroyed were it an undead, it is instead banished to Dal Quor and unable to return to the Material Plane for at least 1 day.
Eyes of Il-Yannah: The metaphysical light that shines through a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah when he is at peace becomes physical with practice and meditation. A seventh level or higher Lightbringer of Il-Yannah manifests the power My Light whenever he becomes psionically focused. The manifester level is equal to the Lightbringer's character level.
Channel Il-Yannah: At 10th level, a Lightbringer of Il-Yannah can channel the perfect Light of the mind and body combined in harmony. If a Lightbringer expends his Psionic Focus when turning/destroying undead, any undead with weakness to llight or sunlight effects that would be successfully turned are destroyed instead.

Code:
    BaB Fort Ref  Will   Special                              Spells per Day/Powers Known
1   +0   +0   +0   +2    Perfect Control, Power of Il-Yannah                -
2   +1   +0   +0   +3    Clarity of Faith                      +1 Divine CL/+1 Psionic ML
3   +2   +1   +1   +3    -                                     +1 Divine CL/+1 Psionic ML
4   +3   +1   +1   +4    Lightbringer                                       -
5   +3   +1   +1   +4    Quori Turning                         +1 Divine CL/ +1 Psionic ML
6   +4   +2   +2   +5    -                                     +1 Divine CL / +1 Psionic ML
7   +5   +2   +2   +5    Eyes of Il-Yannah                                  -           
8   +6   +2   +2   +6    -                                     +1 Divine CL/ +1 Psionic ML
9   +6   +3   +3   +6    -                                     +1 Divine CL/+1 Psionic ML
10  +7   +3   +3   +7    Channel Il-Yannah                                  -

I hate flavorless PrC's, and a simple Psion/Divine hybrid PrC seemed a little flavorless to me. How do you like this flavor? Are the abilities too powerful or not powerful enough? Turning Undead and Psionic Focus are two mechanics I (obviously) like very much, and wanted to incorperate being able to use them together. Thoughts? Ideas?

This is a majorly edited version. I normalized the caster progression, toned it down some, and minorly changed some special abilities. What do you think now?

Last edited:

I like the flavor, and the special abilities are interesting.

I would trim back the + caster level/psionic level to be a split equally, perhaps allowing the character to choose each level which one or the other to take, with a max of +5 to either.

Also, you missed HD type.. is this a D6 class.. focused more on the mental sacrificing the physical, or a D8 semi-martial type.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
D6 was up there, just not bolded. I will go back and make it bold.

I am hesitant to make it only +5 to each class, as that (in my opinion) is too much of a sacrifice without a special ability of decent power every level. That said, +1 CL for both classes every level leaves little room for cool special abilities. That, to me, means little flavor to the PrC.

Do you reccomend toning back the caster levels for the sake of evening out the power of the class or for the sake of simplifiing the prgression?

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
My thoughts are this: Mystic Theurge you gain full casting progression in 2 classes. Same with Cerebremancer. The Fochlucan Lyrist gets 2 classes casting, full BAB and increased abilities for a class. The Yathreshenee (sp?) gets really good special abilities and 6/10 progression in two classes.

I think I might rework the PRC to give 6/10 CLs in two classes like the Yathreshenee from PGtF...

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Okay, I changed around the special abilities. Realised that Clarity of Faith was just a mildly suped-up version of the feat Psionic Meditation, and that if I was requiring people to have ranks in concentration to get into the class, I should let them use it: Clarity of Faith will now Focus you as a free action, but you must use a turning attempt AND make the Skill check to become focused.

I like this version much better.. and if I ever get a psionic player in my game, this will be an option out there :)

Hopefully other folks chime in, but I think it works as written now.

Remove ads