• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron "Side Trek" (OOC); Roll Call

D20Dazza

Explorer
Taran's brother Sue Wer could join up

Note: Taran is Bront's sewer dwelling halfling shaman in the Metropolis game

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Just a small gripe, but Salina's mount should not be able to intimidate and move more than a single move action since Intimidating takes a standard action in combat at the least.

SRD link to Intimidate here.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Ferrix said:
Just a small gripe, but Salina's mount should not be able to intimidate and move more than a single move action since Intimidating takes a standard action in combat at the least.

SRD link to Intimidate here.

Thank you, I'll take that into consideration in the future.

Bront

The man with the probe
D20Dazza said:
Taran's brother Sue Wer could join up

Note: Taran is Bront's sewer dwelling halfling shaman in the Metropolis game
I should have raced him on Twitchy (His Dire Rat mount)

D20Dazza

Explorer
You have a slavering, smelly, roaring lizard pound down on your horse butt and see if you ain't intimidated ;)

Personally, I don't think it's such a stretch to use intimidate on the low intelligence animals as a free action - the old fight or flee hormones kick in - and they scarper ;)

Ferrix

Explorer
D20Dazza said:
You have a slavering, smelly, roaring lizard pound down on your horse butt and see if you ain't intimidated ;)

Personally, I don't think it's such a stretch to use intimidate on the low intelligence animals as a free action - the old fight or flee hormones kick in - and they scarper ;)

I'd be just as scared with a kicking, snorting warhorse pounding down the track as a "big" lizard. You also have to remember that a horse is a Large creature, while the lizard is a medium one.

Additionally, they are battle trained mounts which have been trained to negate the so-called "fight or flight" syndrome.

It should be by the rules else you create a whole new precedent and a house rule.

I'd say the rider gets either a ride check or a handle animal check to keep the animal under their control rather than frightened anyways.

So my result, play by the rules as written or call it a house rule and run it by all the players to see if they think it is fair.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Ferrix said:
I'd be just as scared with a kicking, snorting warhorse pounding down the track as a "big" lizard. You also have to remember that a horse is a Large creature, while the lizard is a medium one.

Additionally, they are battle trained mounts which have been trained to negate the so-called "fight or flight" syndrome.

It should be by the rules else you create a whole new precedent and a house rule.

I'd say the rider gets either a ride check or a handle animal check to keep the animal under their control rather than frightened anyways.

So my result, play by the rules as written or call it a house rule and run it by all the players to see if they think it is fair.

1. I was giving the mounts HD+Wis Bonus+Fear Save Bonus vs. The Clawfoot's Intimidate roll, which I believe is the 'rules as written'. I decided to apply a single round -2 circumstance penalty to any checks (or attacks) of the rider if the mount failed it's checks. I missed the detail that intimidate counts as a standard action.

2. There is nothing in 'rules as written' that says that Warhorses gets a bonus on their saves vs. fear.

3. That being said, if you removed the penalty from all of the times it has happened so far, it would not make any difference. All of the times I have appied it the character was more than 2 over the target DC, or they were already under the target DC.

4. I already decided (because of the 'standard action' issue) that for the rest of the race I will only include it if they were stopped at a checkpoint.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads