• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: The Chaos Effect Complete once more Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

sleepystyle

First Post
I'm switching over to a new spell set after resting. I neglected to mention it earlier so I just went with it, but my current spell set was the starting, non-violent city set.

New style after rest:
Lvl 0 - Create Water, Detect Magic x2, Light, Read Magic
Lvl 1 - Comprehend Lang*, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Protection from Evil, Cure Light
Lvl 2 - Zone of Truth*, Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Cure Mod
Lvl 3 - Fly* Summon Monster III, Dispel Magic

btw mega- are you open to spells from complete divine, warrior, etc?

SUMMONING: If, as a standard, summoned creatures will be confused or surprised when they appear in this game, I'll go ahead and state now that as a general rule, they will be both behind their target, and at range maybe 10 or 15 feet.

FEATS: I realized that I had missed the prereq for the Augmented Summoning feat, so I dropped Research in favor of Spell Focus: Conjuration. So all of my Summonings have +4 Str, +4 Con.

CHAR DEVELOPMENT: I'm considering going into mystic theurge at some point since we don't have an arcane caster. It fits well within my character's goals of focusing on gate opening, summoning and transportation. I won't be all that skilled at turning undead if that happens, but I'll have a wild selection of spells. Thoughts, comments? I probably wouldn't take a 1st level of Wizard until we returned to the city for explanation purposes, unless some other sufficient rationale presented itself along the way.

BTW - Our IC thread has pretty much devolved into a 2nd OOC thread. Anyone agree? It's just getting messy and not very story-like over there.
-d

Bront

The man with the probe
Combat can degenerate a thread at times. It should get better as we go.

I think the Mystic Theurge is a good idea, but don't stretch yourself too far. Also, keep in mind that Clang and potentialy Kerrick might be leaving and we could have 2 others joining us, so we may gain an Arcanist of some kind.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
sleepystyle said:
INew style after rest:
Lvl 1 - Cure Light
Lvl 2 - Cure Mod
You're preparing cure spells?
sleepystyle said:
All Complete and all Eberron books are allowed. See the first post of this thread. ;)
sleepystyle said:
CHAR DEVELOPMENT: I'm considering going into mystic theurge at some point since we don't have an arcane caster. It fits well within my character's goals of focusing on gate opening, summoning and transportation. I won't be all that skilled at turning undead if that happens, but I'll have a wild selection of spells. Thoughts, comments? I probably wouldn't take a 1st level of Wizard until we returned to the city for explanation purposes, unless some other sufficient rationale presented itself along the way.
If we had an arcane caster, would you still want to go Mystic Theurge?
sleepystyle said:
BTW - Our IC thread has pretty much devolved into a 2nd OOC thread. Anyone agree? It's just getting messy and not very story-like over there.
I agree with Bront on this point. During combats, there are always in-game mechanics that have to be worked out. We'll see how it works out after the battle.

sleepystyle

First Post
I agree with Bront on this point. During combats, there are always in-game mechanics that have to be worked out. We'll see how it works out after the battle.

I guess what I mean is that I'd like to see both a descriptive and a mechanics side to combat. It seems much more like a life and death struggle when each player's action is visually described. Makes it more like a movie or book rather than a series of dice rolls at the table. The three round mechanics summary is fine, but maybe after each 3 round block we could post cinematically how we envision what happened.

You're preparing cure spells?

Well granted, I've never played a cleric before, but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. It's pretty certain that I'm going to have to burn several per day and at least I have the 1st couple dedicated so that I'm not immediately chosing what to cut. Note I did not do that with my higher level spells and probably will not ever.

If we had an arcane caster, would you still want to go Mystic Theurge?
Maybe. I'm not sure. I would probably stay straight cleric several levels. Maybe through 10th? I don't really know. I assume Cedious is going rogue as he stated, and if we pick up someone else who goes arcane then it will definitely push that to the back burner. I do like the idea of Rashleigh eventually becoming some kind of power hungry dark heretic priest and mixing the arcane into that would work. We'll see. Just talking right now. I'll have plenty of time to see whether we need an arcane presence between now and then.

Cheers all! Here's to getting ripped apart by wolves in your pj's!

Bront

The man with the probe
BTW, anyone can sleep in light armor with no penalties, or medium armor if they have endurance. If you choose not to, that's your deal. I actualy have a spare set of armor for sleeping.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
sleepystyle said:
I guess what I mean is that I'd like to see both a descriptive and a mechanics side to combat. It seems much more like a life and death struggle when each player's action is visually described. Makes it more like a movie or book rather than a series of dice rolls at the table. The three round mechanics summary is fine, but maybe after each 3 round block we could post cinematically how we envision what happened.
This might be easier for the GM to do than the players. My last Eberron PbP game did this well, I think.
sleepystyle said:
Well granted, I've never played a cleric before, but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. It's pretty certain that I'm going to have to burn several per day and at least I have the 1st couple dedicated so that I'm not immediately chosing what to cut. Note I did not do that with my higher level spells and probably will not ever.
Well, the idea is that you chose other spells just so you can have the flexibility. Just don't be attached to them and expect to burn them for cure spells. I mean, there's not reason not to prepare an extra of another spell.
sleepystyle said:
Maybe. I'm not sure. I would probably stay straight cleric several levels. Maybe through 10th? I don't really know. I assume Cedious is going rogue as he stated, and if we pick up someone else who goes arcane then it will definitely push that to the back burner. I do like the idea of Rashleigh eventually becoming some kind of power hungry dark heretic priest and mixing the arcane into that would work. We'll see. Just talking right now. I'll have plenty of time to see whether we need an arcane presence between now and then.
Well, if you want to go Mystic Theurge, that's fine. I have a friend who wants to play and was thinking of making a Changeling Wizard or some sort of arcane caster. She also has ideas for Sor/Pal and Artificer, though. I guess my point is that you shouldn't do Mystic Theurge just because there's a hole to fill. Besides which, it's not bad having both a Mystic Theurge and a Wizard.

MadMaxim

First Post
Bront said:
Combat can degenerate a thread at times. It should get better as we go.

I think the Mystic Theurge is a good idea, but don't stretch yourself too far. Also, keep in mind that Clang and potentialy Kerrick might be leaving and we could have 2 others joining us, so we may gain an Arcanist of some kind.
Is everybody abandoning ship here? I thought we were doing fine :(

sleepystyle said:
I'm switching over to a new spell set after resting. I neglected to mention it earlier so I just went with it, but my current spell set was the starting, non-violent city set.

New style after rest:
Lvl 0 - Create Water, Detect Magic x2, Light, Read Magic
Lvl 1 - Comprehend Lang*, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Protection from Evil, Cure Light
Lvl 2 - Zone of Truth*, Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Cure Mod
Lvl 3 - Fly* Summon Monster III, Dispel Magic

YES

SUMMONING: If, as a standard, summoned creatures will be confused or surprised when they appear in this game, I'll go ahead and state now that as a general rule, they will be both behind their target, and at range maybe 10 or 15 feet.

I'll try to remember this and sorry for my assumption of location

FEATS: I realized that I had missed the prereq for the Augmented Summoning feat, so I dropped Research in favor of Spell Focus: Conjuration. So all of my Summonings have +4 Str, +4 Con.

Nice- again I'll try to remember this. I should print this list and add it to your character sheet

-d

Sorry- part of that is my fault. Generally my only free time for doing this is at 1am after a 12-16 hour day. I get sloppy sometimes. I'll do what I can to avoid that and if everyone could also that would be good. I'll do XP here from now on also.

sleepystyle said:

!

Would folks prefer the PbP section be strictly the story and talk the talk be both rules straightening and "this is what is happening- give 3 rds of possible actions"?

Remove ads