• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Timeline Advancement?

What era would you like for Eberron in DDN?

• 998 YK - the date used in 3.5 and 4E

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • Jump ahead a few years

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Jump ahead a few decades or more

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Focus on an earlier period of history.

Votes: 10 10.5%

Keldryn

Adventurer
I absolutely love the Eberron setting, although I have yet to be able to actually run a substantial campaign with it.

I strongly dislike the idea of advancing the timeline if a 5e version of the setting is published.

Every campaign setting that I can think of which has had an official timeline advancement has suffered for it, in my opinion.

The Forgotten Realms is the poster child here, and so much has been said about it that I don't really need to go into too many details. The original "grey box" set was pretty great, as were the first several books in its original supplement series (FR1 Waterdeep and the North through about FR5 The Savage Frontier). As soon as the Time of Troubles became an official part of the setting in order to justify the rules changes in 2nd Edition and the events of novels were incorporated into the advancing timeline, the setting lost a great deal of its appeal to me.

Dragonlance isn't pointed out as often, but it's a worse offender in my eyes. The original setting of Ansalon in and around the Chronicles and Legends books was a good setting with its own flavor. The setting was somewhat small and limited in scope, but usable even without running the original War of the Lance. The continent of Taladas as detailed in Time of the Dragon was awesome and thankfully mostly untouched. The official timeline of the Dragonlance world now goes something like this:

• The Cataclysm: the gods are angry and throw a mountain at the world, radically reshaping it. Then they leave.
  • 350 years later: the gods return!
  • 33 years after that: Chaos returns and there's another cataclysm! The gods leave again! Now it's the Age of Mortals.
  • 39 years after that: Wow, that was short. The gods are back!
The setting really feels like a joke after all of this. It's like Ross Perot's presidential campaign all over again.

The Mystara setting was always one of my favorites, back from when it was simply The Known World. It's not a terribly coherent setting, but it always feels like home to me. Wrath of the Immortals advanced the timeline and dramatically altered the world, including the destruction of entire nations. I didn't like the changes, and unfortunately I had sold my old Gazetteers (stupid, stupid, stupid), so I was stuck with the 2e boxed sets.

The Dark Sun revised setting incorporated events from the novels which completely undermined the nature of the setting. The original boxed set had set up the world in a perfect state of oppression, ripe for the PCs to rebel against.

Greyhawk probably suffered the least from the official timeline advancements meddling with the setting, although I know many old-schoolers will disagree.

Post-ROTJ Star Wars is now a universe with conveniently force-resistant aliens possessing Geiger-esque biotech, a dozen superweapons even more powerful than the Death Star (it can blow up an whole solar system!), and Jedi turning to the dark side and then back to the light as a semi-regular occurrence. No, no, no. Just no.

D&D 4th Edition didn't turn out to be the right game system for me, but the Eberron and Dark Sun settings were perfect examples of how to update a setting for a new edition. Don't advance the timeline. Go back to the core definition of the setting, but keep the best ideas from the last edition's supplements. Be flexible and re-imagine parts of the setting in order to incorporate the new rules (Dark Sun did more of this than did Eberron). Don't include in-universe justifications for why things are different. I don't know what the ratio is of gamers who convert a campaign to a new edition versus those who start a new campaign when a new edition comes out, but given the hassle of converting, I suspect there would be more of the latter.

So that's an emphatic NO to advancing the timeline. I like the idea of outlining possible future timelines and how PCs can drive the campaign forward. Advancing the timeline seems to primarily happen in order to give people who own previous versions of the books a reason to buy the new one. I'd buy the new one just to avoid referencing multiple books.

If you want to make significant enough changes to get people to re-buy the books, perhaps truly fixing the map scale of Khorvaire would be a good place to start? Or including a couple of different detailed starting locations other than Sharn. I'd buy an Eberron boxed set on day one, especially if it included special Dungeon Tiles for building Sharn towers & bridges and some lightning rail and airship battlemaps. And a cloth map of Khorvaire.

Mercutio01

First Post
If you want to make significant enough changes to get people to re-buy the books, perhaps truly fixing the map scale of Khorvaire would be a good place to start? Or including a couple of different detailed starting locations other than Sharn. I'd buy an Eberron boxed set on day one, especially if it included special Dungeon Tiles for building Sharn towers & bridges and some lightning rail and airship battlemaps. And a cloth map of Khorvaire.

Yes. If that happened, I would absolutely scrimp and scrape together enough nickels to purchase it.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I'm with [MENTION=11999]Keldryn[/MENTION]. Advancing a setting timeline has been done before, and it has always hurt the setting, especially if major changes have happened. And if major changes have not happened, why bother advancing the timeline?

I don't think we've ever seen a timeline advance that has been an unqualified success, and we seen several which have been outright disasters. I think Eberron should heed the lessons of the past, and stay as is.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Every campaign setting that I can think of which has had an official timeline advancement has suffered for it, in my opinion.
I am inclined to agree.

All of these seem like concrete suggestions to me, and I'd love to hear other ideas like this. If we focused on an area other than Sharn, what might people like to see? Stormreach is obviously a logical choice thanks to DDO, but like Sharn, it's also had a sourcebook already.

Mercutio01

First Post
Speaking just for me, I'd like to see more for some of the lesser explored areas, like the Lhazaar Principalities, Demon Wastes, Shadow Marches, and Droaam. Reading the novels which had some more of that was fairly key for running campaigns that weren't set in Sharn or Stormreach. Some of my favorite bits about Eberron were the places where monsters not only ruled, but actually had recognizable civilizations. There seemed to be a lot more focus on making monsters actual creatures with real drives than the other settings (at least until Forgotten Realms had the orc uprising in the area around Mithril Hall).

That was my real takeaway. Yes, the noirish/pulpy stuff was awesome, but I most appreciated the way monstrous races seemed less like obstacles and more like real creatures.

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I voted for 998 YK though I wouldn't terribly mind if they jumped ahead a few years or even a few decades as long as they don't radically change the setting. I don't want anything like the Forgotten Realms Spellplague to happen to Eberron! As long as the timeline isn't advanced, the setting is safe from such butchery.

thewok

First Post
I don't really play Eberron, myself. I just steal ideas from it for my homebrew campaign. So, you can take my thoughts or leave them at your whim.

I would think that it would make sense to keep the setting the same. That way, whether you like 3E, 4E or Next, all Eberron material has at least some use to you.

The advance in time for Forgotten Realms was a huge turn-off for a lot of people. I would actually like to see FR return somewhat to its 3E status quo (with the addition of the new races, of course, and a resurrection of Mystra). I imagine Eberron players would feel much the same way as the FR players if it were to happen to them.

jadrax

Adventurer
The advance in time for Forgotten Realms was a huge turn-off for a lot of people. I would actually like to see FR return somewhat to its 3E status quo (with the addition of the new races, of course, and a resurrection of Mystra).

1E status quo here please. ;o)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Or, as psionics are supposed to be in the 5e PHB, you could massively flesh out Sarlona and make that a core "setting" in the way Neverwinter was done.

If we focused on an area other than Sharn, what might people like to see?
Of all the ideas mentioned so far, I really like Kaodi's idea of doing a Sarlona-based psionics setting, and making that D&D Next's first view of Eberron. Supported, of course by some D&D Insider support for Khorvaire-flavored crunch and the Eberron 3.5/4e back-catalog available individually as eBooks, or maybe en masse via DDI.

On the timeline, I voted for advancing a few years, but mostly because I'm curious to see what the design team thinks the near future has in store for the setting. A "Visions of Eberron" adventure involving some exploration of possible future timelines might be a better way of presenting some of those ideas, rather than advancing the timeline in D&D Next releases.

Elf Witch

First Post
I really dislike time jumps. I have not really seen them work well. One of my favorite settings is Kingdoms of Kalamar with its static timeline. Basically the DM and players write the future.

I love Eberron there is so much going on that it gives each group the opportunity to make it their Eberron. In one of my favorite campaigns in Eberron we played a group of Cyrean avengers whose sole purpose was to over throw the government of Breland and make it the new seat of power for Cyre.

I think it would be cool to have supplements on playing during the war or before the war.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads