• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Warforged Origins - SPOILERS!

Jürgen Hubert said:
Didn't that rumor specify that those warforged were independent from those produced by House Cannith?

Yes, but so are most warforged. House Cannith doesn't make their warforged loyal to Cannith. They're not supposed to attack Cannith noncombatants, but this might have been an order, rather than "programming" or indoctrination.

MarkB

Legend
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Yes, but so are most warforged. House Cannith doesn't make their warforged loyal to Cannith. They're not supposed to attack Cannith noncombatants, but this might have been an order, rather than "programming" or indoctrination.
I think he meant "produced independently".

MadMaxim

First Post
I just got the book yesterday, and it got me thinking whether the Lord of Blades is working on behalf of the quori (most likely unknowingly), if all the quori need to do is flip a switch through their monolith network to get all warforged back on their side? Or is the Lord of Blades truly a renegade warforged that's about to throw a monkey wrench in the quori plans for world domination?

So many questions, so many possibilities...

MarkB said:
I think he meant "produced independently".

Oh, ok. At least some of the Mournland-dwelling warforged (including those in the city) were made by the Lord of Blades' forge. I kind of doubt they all would have been, however. They do recruit warforged outside the Mournland.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Oh, ok. At least some of the Mournland-dwelling warforged (including those in the city) were made by the Lord of Blades' forge. I kind of doubt they all would have been, however. They do recruit warforged outside the Mournland.

I guess the Lord of Blades could create all sorts of mischief if he can capture an intact Creation Forge in Xen'drik. Even if he doesn't figure out how to create intelligent warforged with it, his cause can always use more cannon fodder...

vulcan_idic

Explorer
MadMaxim said:
I just got the book yesterday, and it got me thinking whether the Lord of Blades is working on behalf of the quori (most likely unknowingly), if all the quori need to do is flip a switch through their monolith network to get all warforged back on their side? Or is the Lord of Blades truly a renegade warforged that's about to throw a monkey wrench in the quori plans for world domination?

So many questions, so many possibilities...

And quite possibly both possibilities apply to the Lord of Blades - those you manipulate into unknowingly working for you have a rather annoying habit of zigging just when you want them to zag only at the worst possible moment.

MadMaxim

First Post
vulcan_idic said:
And quite possibly both possibilities apply to the Lord of Blades - those you manipulate into unknowingly working for you have a rather annoying habit of zigging just when you want them to zag only at the worst possible moment.
Just like my group (and plenty of other groups for that matter) ;)

Anti-Sean

First Post
MadMaxim said:
Or is the Lord of Blades truly a renegade warforged that's about to throw a monkey wrench in the quori plans for world domination?
Ooooooh, me likey! "Congratulations, adventurers! After many long struggles, you have finally defeated your nemesis, the Lord of Blades. Unfortunately, he was all that was standing between Khorvaire and the Quori. Enjoy your lifetime ofservitude beneath your new Inspired overlords!"

fnork de sporg

First Post
Now, don't forget the Psi-Forged as well. If ever there was a perfect quori host they would be it. There's even a pretty obvious quori attack described in their fluff.

Here's my theory.

The original warforged were most likely not designed as hosts, since I don't think the quori needed hosts until after their war with the giants. Perhaps they were designed to replace the flesh and blood creatures after the war was won.

Unless of course the Quori predicted how the war would end. Which would seem unlikely at first since they failed to prevent it, but perhaps it was a unpopular theory at first followed only by a few who would no doubt later gain great staus for their prescience.

The original idea is that you take the creation forge and download a quori spirit in to a newly crafted superior and unaging physical body quickly spewing out a new army. But for whatever reason the process doesn't work, or else we'd already be seeing quori warforged armies running rampant.

Ooo, maybe the warforged were designed to be hosts, since immortal quori might be unhappy about throwing their lives away in physical combat, and it was only after the end of the war that the concept gained much greater importance and was adpated in to the Inspired.

So you have creation forges tuned to transmit souls from Dal Quor but they can no longer reach that plane. This might also explain the mindless warforged from SoX. Then house cannith takes the idea of the forge and redirects it to draw not from Dal Quor but another plane, probably Kythri the plane of chaos. It might be irian as well, but Kythri makes more sense since it's orbit is impossible to predict. A bunch of open creation forges drawing primal chaos-stuff to make souls would be fine up until Kythri becomes coterminous at which point you get the decidedly Kythri-esque day of mourning.

The fact that the warforged never sleep and thus are immune to quori possession is probably just delicious irony. The psi-forged were probably warforged retrofitted by quori agents to reverse this, making warforged that they could possess. Good thing for eberron that they've proved too cunning, and maybe rare, for that plan.

So, there that's my big theory. What do you think?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads