• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ebon Eyes vs. Darkvision

Bad Paper

First Post
Can someone please explain the difference between Ebon Eyes and Darkvision? Better yet, I understand Darkvision, but what the heck is Ebon Eyes saying?

SRD said:
Darkvision
The subject gains the ability to see 60 feet even in total darkness. Darkvision is black and white only but otherwise like normal sight. Darkvision does not grant one the ability to see in magical darkness.
Spell Compendium said:
Ebon Eyes
The subject of this spell gains the ability to see normally in natural and magical darkness, although it does not otherwise improve the subject's ability to see in natural dark or shadowy conditions. The subject ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness.

Cabral

First Post
Basicly, treat the light level as average (daylight?) despite whatever light is actual present. If the subject is an elf, he sees twice as far as a human in normal light. A dragons would see twice as far. A dwarf could choose to use darkvision...

Basicly it strips off any penalties for lighting. Normally such effects (Such as darkvision) don't work in magic darkness, but this spell works fine even then...

I haven't read the spell, it's 2 am, and I could be completely off my rocker so ... :D

entr0py

First Post
I came upon this old thread and wonder if it was ever clarified.

I think the Ebon Eyes spell is worded poorly, but i interpret the spell to do two things:
1) Negates the effect of magical darkness on vision.
and
2) Negates the miss chance while in shadowy illumination.

Thus the subject can "see normally..." -- i read that "see as he normally would..." -- However, "it does not otherwise improve the subject's ability to see in natural dark..."

So a human subject of the Ebon Eyes spell, still requires a light source to see while in the dark.

Last edited:

Bad Paper

First Post
Yeah, that's how I take it. Strips away the "shadowy" part of shadowy illumination. I assume this essentially negates the effects of the darkness spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads