Ebooks on the way out?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is one problem with ebooks

If it is a map section, or a cast of characters, you can simply bookmark the pages, and you're good to go. It *is* less easy to flip through the book to find a particular unmarked page, yes. This is one of the reasons why I don't like ebooks for RPG materials.

frogimus

First Post
If it is a map section, or a cast of characters, you can simply bookmark the pages, and you're good to go. It *is* less easy to flip through the book to find a particular unmarked page, yes. This is one of the reasons why I don't like ebooks for RPG materials.

That depends a bit on the format. There is a WWII wargaming rulebook called "I Ain't Been Shot, Mum" that uses an interactive/bookmarked PDF to get you through quite nicely. Of course it works better on my tablet than my reader...

Janx

Hero

This gives me an idea for a patentable eBook mechanism...

I think the concept you're referring to is where somebody wants to look up a Feat. So I pick up the PH, and I kind of know roughly where it is in the book, so I open the book to so far in. then I thumb a few pages forward and back and there it is, the Feats section.

This is something that works because we know the book well, and can jump to so many inches into the book quite readily. And then make small or large jumps forward or back to where we want to get to

eBook readers don't quite offer that. I can go forward/back a page, or jump to a page#, but I can't readily jump intuitively to the part in the book where I'm sure the thing I need is roughly at.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This gives me an idea for a patentable eBook mechanism...

I think the concept you're referring to is where somebody wants to look up a Feat. So I pick up the PH, and I kind of know roughly where it is in the book, so I open the book to so far in. then I thumb a few pages forward and back and there it is, the Feats section.

Yep. The thing is, the physical object seems to be part of this mechanism*. The human mind uses some of the same functionality you use to have a mental map of the way to grocery to build a mental map of a physical book. You map out landmarks like artwork, and the graphic layout of pages, and how far they are into the book, to have a map of the internal contents of the book. The mnemonic thus created generally enhances memory and retention of the contents.

The human mind apparently doesn't do this nearly as well with stuff presented on a screen. If you can find a way to engage that same circuitry more strongly in an electronic format, you might have something noteworthy.

*see "The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: Why Paper Still Beats Screens" in the November 2013 issue of Scientific American.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
As an aside, now that you've told us about your idea, Janx, you can't patent it. Public disclosure, and all.

But, ebooks and paper books (and newspapers, and magazines) each definitely has their niche, and each has advantages and disadvantages.

I can have a book in my car (for days when the coffee shop didn't get, or ran out of the 'Times), and not worry about lugging around my iPad. And another by the bedside for night time reading.

I can leave a paper newspaper, or magazine, for someone else to read when I'm done.

But, with a eReader, I can easily carry around game references in a fraction of the space of the books. (Although, sharing the references at the game table still requires that I hand-over my ipad, which is a problem if I'm taking notes on it. With physical books, I can browse one book and hand off another. So slightly finer ability to share content.)

And, I can adjust font sizes and brightness to accommodate my aging, weakening, eyes.

I do think eBooks have a ways to go until the technology delivers all of its potential.

Bookmarking and indexing seem to be rather poorly implemented, and wildly different across devices, both in terms of how much functionality is there, and how the function works.

Licensing issues (a lack of a unified market; inability to share between devices) and pricing issues (price fixing and other monopoly behavior) seem to be rather in the public's face, and hindering the technology.

AdWare, in some cases, also is a huge hindrance. I cannot read the newspapers on the iPad because the ads are too intrusive. There is often a huge red banner ad quite visibly present, and jarring me out of the quiet black and white of the articles. This is a problem for the public domain ebook database and reader application that I use on the iPad. As well, the limitations built into the Newsstand application on the iPad are a case of extreme overreach, and a weakness of eBook technology, that is, that it is hostage to the technology providers.

A failure to adapt to the new technology is also a problem: We haven't quite gotten to the point of updating material to take advantage of the new format. As an example of one case where content is updated is a Go Book application, which imbeds games as playbacks in the text. The playback widget allows you to play through game sequences while reading text, something you can only do in print with a sequence of diagrams.

Thx!

TomB

GSHamster

Adventurer
I think that ebooks offer a slightly worse reading experience than paper books. But the experience is "good enough". And paper cannot match the space savings of an e-reader.

At any given time, I have 5-10 books on my reader, which fits inside my jacket pocket. If I finish one book, I can move on to the next one. I can put enough books for an entire vacation on the e-reader and it takes up the same space as one book.

In my opinion, ebooks are not strictly better than paper books. But the ebook advantage is significant enough that it outweighs the disadvantages.

Janx

Hero
As an aside, now that you've told us about your idea, Janx, you can't patent it. Public disclosure, and all.

Actually, where exactly do you think I disclosed my idea in my post :)

I didn't. I said it gives me an idea. And then I described how real books work and Umbran confirmed my understanding of how real books work (with regards to jumping to a section you know where it is in the book).

What I didn't do is describe my idea or how to do a similar effect in an eBook.

Not that my idea perfectly simulates how real books work either, but I have devised a means to get to the section you want in a manner better and different than what is currently offered in eBook products.

Now the conundrum I actually have is that I am not really in a position to leverage my idea. In general, one needs a eBook reading product that one owns the code to, to make the improvement and then release to market.

I doubt my idea is world changing or perfect, but it is an interesting solution to the problem of jumping to the page you want in a book when you kind of know roughly where it is.

I'm actually more inclined to "give it away" so all eBooks could implemented it if it was a good idea.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
No argument there. But turning pages generally requires two hands. If I'm using two hands on my book when the subway lurches, there's a problem. What's more important to me, the ritual or not falling over on the train?

I read during lunch at work. I use one hand to turn pages and have for seven years or more. It's not that bad. :p

Most games, as a player I only need one book. As GM, I'm almost always running in my own home. So, the lugging around isn't an issue, for me.

Even as a player I like to have access to as many books as possible. It helps me with character advancement and, most importantly, rule issues. I used to carry four or more books with me when I gamed. Maybe I'm just nuts! :D

On my Nook Tablet, I have access to the Boston Public Library and Minuteman Library Network ebook collections any time I have access to wireless. Free books! Admittedly, they won't always have exactly what I want, but they always have something I'd like.

Confession: I really like collecting books. Libraries won't cut it for me cuz I have to keep the book. I take meticulous care of them to keep them as 'as new' as possible and I rarely lend them out since most people brutalize books ... heathens. But yeah, I can see the appeal there for people without my particular issues.

Ebooks are superior to paperback novels in every way.

Is that so? Ok, I have a challenge for you: I will take my new copy of Chuck Palahniuk's Doomed (I own every book he's written except one so you could call me a fan), place it on the floor and then simulate accidentally stepping on it. Will you do that with your reader? If not, why not? ;)

Janx

Hero
Is that so? Ok, I have a challenge for you: I will take my new copy of Chuck Palahniuk's Doomed (I own every book he's written except one so you could call me a fan), place it on the floor and then simulate accidentally stepping on it. Will you do that with your reader? If not, why not? ;)

I smell a problem with your logic.

If the paper book is on the floor and somebody accidentally steps on it, being the book lover that you are, you are a bit miffed by the scuffing and disrespect your book just recieved. The Stepper meanwhile, sees no harm, no foul.

If it's an eBook on the floor and it gets stepped on, real damage happens real obviously. You now have just cause to beat the stuffing out of him or make him buy you a new eBook. Owner's Choice. It's in the Warranty.

So, some would consider this clarity of damage to be a superior methodology :)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I smell a problem with your logic.

If the paper book is on the floor and somebody accidentally steps on it, being the book lover that you are, you are a bit miffed by the scuffing and disrespect your book just recieved. The Stepper meanwhile, sees no harm, no foul.

If it's an eBook on the floor and it gets stepped on, real damage happens real obviously. You now have just cause to beat the stuffing out of him or make him buy you a new eBook. Owner's Choice. It's in the Warranty.

So, some would consider this clarity of damage to be a superior methodology :)

The simple point there is that my book will not be destroyed, I won't have to wait to finish it, I won't have to spend a lot of money to replace it if I want an unscuffed copy and all of that makes it superior to an ebook. It's a challenge to the statement that ebooks are 'superior in every way'.

And I'm pretty sure paper books come with the same 'make them replace it or beat the hell out of them (or both)' clause. :)

Remove ads