Eclipse Phase (I have it)

weem

First Post
There are over 70 skills to chose from and a decent number of Backgrounds, Morphs, Talents, and Psi powers. It should not be hard to make a unique character.

Thanks Alikar, much appreciated ;)

Sir Robilar

First Post
Could you please expand a little on the "changing your body at will" part? How does it work mechanically? What are the limits? And how can it possibly not be broken?

Andor

First Post
Could you please expand a little on the "changing your body at will" part? How does it work mechanically? What are the limits? And how can it possibly not be broken?

In a Transhuman setting like this, the idea is that your mind and even soul are considered to be software. Storable, copyable, transmissable and possibly editable. Your body is a hunk of hardware. If you don't like it you can buy a new model and download your conciousness into it. If you need to be in two places at the same time boot up your spare body and download a copy of yourself into it. Going on a suicide run? Make sure to leave a current backup copy of your mind with your friends.

It's not broken because anyone can do it. You thought supervillains were hard to kill? They have nothing on a transhuman badguy.

If you want some sample literature try 'Kiln People' by David Brin. Or some of John Varleys' stuff set in the 'Opiphiuchi Hotline' world.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm hoping to play a low-quality, pirated version of a celebrity, distributed by teenagers for their amusement. Sort of: if you could download a copy of Alyson Hannigan, what would you do with it? (Note: she has the same personality, so you probably couldn't do what you're thinking of doing, but then again, certain hackers could "remix" her...But is that ethical? It's brainwashing, but certainly she's still out there being herself regardless of what you do to this copy...my idea is to play up the "best friend of a very lonely kid" angle, but maybe she'll meet other celebrities in less pristine condition?)

"Transhumanism" is a very interesting idea. :)

Pbartender

First Post
In a Transhuman setting like this, the idea is that your mind and even soul are considered to be software. Storable, copyable, transmissable and possibly editable. Your body is a hunk of hardware. If you don't like it you can buy a new model and download your conciousness into it. If you need to be in two places at the same time boot up your spare body and download a copy of yourself into it. Going on a suicide run? Make sure to leave a current backup copy of your mind with your friends.

It's not broken because anyone can do it. You thought supervillains were hard to kill? They have nothing on a transhuman badguy.

If you want some sample literature try 'Kiln People' by David Brin. Or some of John Varleys' stuff set in the 'Opiphiuchi Hotline' world.

Actually, read Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan. The exact same idea is the basis of that book...

Essentially, he used it as a way to get around faster than light travel.

Instead of building FTL ships, people have electronic "stacks" imbedded in their spinal columns that contain the entirety of their personality (think of a heavy-duty flash drive). The personality can be copied and transmitted FTL to another planet, where it downloaded and "sleeved" into a new body. The stacks can be stored indefinitely (often as a sentence for criminals), and are exceptionally durable -- the body can die but the stack can survive to be resleeved in a new body.

Doodles

First Post
I'm hoping to play a low-quality, pirated version of a celebrity, distributed by teenagers for their amusement. Sort of: if you could download a copy of Alyson Hannigan, what would you do with it? (Note: she has the same personality, so you probably couldn't do what you're thinking of doing, but then again, certain hackers could "remix" her...But is that ethical? It's brainwashing, but certainly she's still out there being herself regardless of what you do to this copy...my idea is to play up the "best friend of a very lonely kid" angle, but maybe she'll meet other celebrities in less pristine condition?)

"Transhumanism" is a very interesting idea. :)
This is a brilliant idea. Immense potential of character variations right there.

Remove ads