• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ecology of the Hengeyokai (+ New Race Option!)

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Overall I thought they were pretty boring. I wish their hybrid form had some mechanics associated with them to make them unique instead of being a different skin. Maybe they'll release a Utility power for each like the Dead Rat Deserter's Hybrid Bite power. If not, that's gives me another idea for a Dragon article proposal...

(Edit: [MENTION=94481]captainspud[/MENTION], I think Changeling Trick is pretty boring but the open-ended Changeling Disguise? That's pure creative gold to me!)

captainspud

First Post
(Edit: @captainspud , I think Changeling Trick is pretty boring but the open-ended Changeling Disguise? That's pure creative gold to me!)
Again, though-- mechanically boring. Both the Changeling and the Werecarp have absolutely wonderful flavor and potential for awesome roleplay, but on a purely CharOp level, they're both utterly devoid of useful mechanics. There is absolutely no reason for a mechanically-minded player to ever play this new race. Its abilities do absolutely nothing in a fight.

Siberys

Adventurer
Just collecting my thoughts;

The reflex bonus is boring and not mechanically necessary.
Nature's Mask is confusing; do you only get the benefits in animal form? What about hybrid?
There needs to be some other racial trait - something mechanical. Preferably another racial power.

EDIT: So, it says stats don't change in Hybrid form. gotcha. This further increases the need for a racial encounter power. :/

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Don't forget: this is a playtest article. Feel free to forward your thoughts and requests to WotC, so the hengeyokai can benefit from them!

Very good point!

Again, though-- mechanically boring. Both the Changeling and the Werecarp have absolutely wonderful flavor and potential for awesome roleplay, but on a purely CharOp level, they're both utterly devoid of useful mechanics.

I think we have different ideas of what mechanically means but I see what you're saying.

I can't see how Changeling is boring, even though there aren't mechanics for when you assume the form of people enemies know, it can be very powerful in the right hands.

As for the Hengeyokai the animal form ability is useful for positioning that takes more than a round to do. I don't know where there would be cases where that happens too often, but it could put them in a better position at the start of a fight. A Ranger or Seeker or any other ranged type Hengeyokai could go easily go to a high, hard to reach place, and attack without much in the way of retaliation from some enemies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads