• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eden's Fields of Blood

bolen

First Post
Since AEG's War got panned so badly, anyone know when fields of blood is comming out?

Are there any more D20 mass combat rules out there?

mattcolville

Adventurer
The Liber is on deck waiting to print (timely as ever!) and the Taverns book, Waysides is off my plate so now I'm back to Fields of Blood.

We've got a realm management system and a mass combat system, but I'm retooling them. We had population explosion problems. Once I get those worked out, I'll have v.2 ready to playtest. As to when it'll come out? When it's done.

Matthew Colville
Game Design Dude

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well I'm glad to hear that there is some deep testing going on here. Perhaps if War had such a thing with some honest playtesters it would've been received better.

Crothian

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Well I'm glad to hear that there is some deep testing going on here. Perhaps if War had such a thing with some honest playtesters it would've been received better.

I thought it was ill recieved becase people thought it was something other then it turned out to be? People were expecting it to all me on mass combat, but only a portion was. And that part wasn't very good. Otherwise, War is a great book.

But it is good to hear the item is being delayed to make it better. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
My biggest disappointment with the book had nothing to do with wanting a mass combat system.

I wanted some very basic information that War failed to provide. Take military ranks for example. Are there any mentioned in War? Nope.

How about how much it costs to start a mercenary company? Something that would be very interesting for a Mercenary Captain to do eh? Nope.

Lack of details in many areas all but crippled this book's usefulness to me outside of the cruncy bits. And please don't get me started on the names of the PrCs...

I'm hoping that Eden's book can provide details on how much money it costs to start an army, train an army, and field soldiers. What the different military ranks are, not only from an European time frame, but Asian and Middle Eastern and any other country they can squeeze in there.

There are other things I'm hoping for like a better text to page ratio and improved editing that have nothing to do with D20 standards as well.

Damn. I hate it when I rant. Takes me way off topic.

In short, War okay for cruncy bits but not enjoyed for other parts. Previous Eden d20 books good and experience should enable new book to be great.

mattcolville

Adventurer
My biggest disappointment with the book had nothing to do with wanting a mass combat system.

I wanted some very basic information that War failed to provide. Take military ranks for example. Are there any mentioned in War? Nope.

I'd thought about including this in Fields of Blood, not for any game mechanic reason but because as a leader of your own Realm (our term for 'the place you're in charge of') you should get to pick what the titles of the officers in your army is going to be. Ditto noble titles. Think there's a perfectly servicable group of charts in the original AD&D GM's Guide.

How about how much it costs to start a mercenary company? Something that would be very interesting for a Mercenary Captain to do eh? Nope.

Hmmm...mental note. Probably make it a funtion of a Mercenary Captain prestige class.

I'm hoping that Eden's book can provide details on how much money it costs to start an army, train an army, and field soldiers. What the different military ranks are, not only from an European time frame, but Asian and Middle Eastern and any other country they can squeeze in there.

This latter, yes. But our book is, basically, a rules plug-in a la the Psionicists Handbook. It covers running realms and waging war. We presume the two things are connected. If your Fighter wants to gather 20 people together and sack a keep, go to it. The rules are in the PHB and DMG. If, however, a local regent gifts you with a County and suddenly you're thrust into the geopolitics of your GM's world, ours in the book for you. You can tax and spend, raise armies, make allies, trade, defend, conquer. Right down to pulling out a warboard decorating it with trees and hills, and using your Warmaster minis to tactically fight the battle using rules that should seem *exrtremely* familiar to any d20 player.

Should be good.

Ranger REG

Explorer
mattcolville said:
I'd thought about including [military ranks] in Fields of Blood, not for any game mechanic reason but because as a leader of your own Realm (our term for 'the place you're in charge of') you should get to pick what the titles of the officers in your army is going to be. Ditto noble titles. Think there's a perfectly servicable group of charts in the original AD&D GM's Guide.
True, but not everyone has the original AD&D DMG (or 2nd edition).

It would be nice to have author's suggestions on military rank titles. Perhaps you could include the material as a web enhancement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads