• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Edge of the Empire a year on - opinions?

Chimpy

First Post
Having played Edge of the Empire quite a lot since its release, I wondered how people felt about it that have also had a lot of experience of it now that the newness has worn off?

Initially I was delighted with it. However with each play I find the dice mechanics more and more like hard work. The novelty of interpreting the dice pool and the player and GM deciding on suitable advantage or threat was fun at the start but my group and I have just got fed up with it.

We also found space & vehicle combat rules very confusing and hard to work with.

It's a shame since the overall quality of the books, the feel of the setting, the presentation, and wealth of character options are all great. I think it really sparks the imagination, but I feel let down by the practical side of actually playing it.

fjw70

Adventurer
I played it a few times when EotE first came out and have recently started looking at it again. The dice mechanic is very interesting but when I did play the advantage and threats seemed to be a little much.

Crothian

First Post
We stopped playing. Once the difference of the dice wears off it just becomes cumbersome. Mechanically characters rarely seem that different. The books seem expensive for the content. There just is not a lot of useful material in them.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I love it. The dice provide a wide variety of narrative possibilities.
It is my favorite version of Star Wars, and one of my favorite systems to date.

I bought the game about a year ago and are now finally having the time to read it properly. I actually like what I read and the dice thing does not bother me much. Don't know how it will work in play yet. In any case as someone who burned out on Star wars in the past I really love the new angle of the game and recently decided to get age of rebellion as well.

To be honest, I kinda got bored with it - and sold on my book. Never really played it. Liked the dice app though.

I already have Traveller, and although the dice mechanic and approach is a bit different, it largely caters for my space opera needs already. Edge of Empire was covering the same ground for me - just with a more iconic setting and expensive production standards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads