Edition Defining Adventures

phindar

First Post
I can't think of any for 3e. I think my group just moved away from module-based campaigns. In OD&D, it was Keep on the Borderlands, the first module I ever owned (or maybe that was Castle Caldwell, but I never played in that one. I got it because the lizardman on the cover looked like Slithe from the Thundercats cartoon.) In 2e, it was Undermountain, Night Below and Dragon Mountain. Boxed sets were big. Each one of those dominated about a year of table time.

But in 3e, the closest thing we came to something like that was the AoW AP, and the group got to about 7th level before we got bored and went on to other things. (Not a knock of the AP, it just wasn't a good fit for our group.) Maybe Paizo's Rise of the Runelords will be an edition-defining adventure (although we really need to hurry if we're going to define this edition while its still in print.)

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Basic D+D:
B2: Keep of the Borderlands
B4: The Lost City
X1: Isle of Dread
X2: Castle Amber

For 1E:
Top?
S1: Tomb of Horros
S2: White Plume Mountain
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
GDQ: Giants/Drow/Queen
T1-4: Temple of Elemental Evil
A1-4: Against the Pharoahs
I1-3: Desert of Desolation
I6: Ravenloft
(Though there's TONS of 1E modules that I remember fondly.)

For 2E:
(The "Iconic" stuff)
Rod of Seven Parts
Axe of the Dwarvish Lords
Return to the Tomb of Horrors
The Great Modron March / Dead Gods (A lot of the Planescape modules are memorable and awesome, but these two deserve to be on the "Top" list for 2E.)

For 3E:
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (I'm not personally a fan, but it's still a "defining adventure")
Age of Worms
Shackled City
Rappan Athuk
Freeport Trilogy

Remove ads