OD&D Edition Experience: Did/Do You Play OD&D? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About OD&D

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing it right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
For some reason, I can't add the link to the newest survey to the original post. Until I can figure out how to stop getting the "Oops...server trouble" error, here's the link:

AD&D 2E

atanakar

Hero
Just rolled up 4 classic characters (F,C,M-U,T) using Bleu Holmes Journeyman rules. I intend to run a solitaire game (no DM) with a randomly generated dungeon.

A few changes:
- Ability scores get modern modifiers

- HPs: d10 F, d8 C, d6 T, d4 M-U. Max HPs + Const modifier

- Thief skills start at 50% +5% per ability score bonus. Climb surfaces starts at 60% +5% per ability score bonus.

- M-U 1 spell slot. First level : 4 spells known. Cantrips (at-will) : Read Languages, Detect Magic, Fire Bolt 1d3 dmg range 60' to hit required

- Cleric : Cantrip (at-will) Light, Detect Evil, Sacred Flame 1d3 dmg range 60' to hit required.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I own the 2012(?) re-print of this edition, but I've never played it. If anyone else in my groups could be talked into trying it I'd give it a shot....

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I own the 2012(?) re-print of this edition, but I've never played it. If anyone else in my groups could be talked into trying it I'd give it a shot....
3w0836.jpg

Badvoc

Explorer
By the time I became aware of D&D, the successors to the white box were on the shelves. I've never had an opportunity to play it, but likewise own the reprint and would love to run a one-shot or mini campaign just out of curiosity.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Not surprisingly, this is the edition of the game that the fewest people have played*, and the edition that the most people wish they could have played. I wonder how easily this could be played over FantasyGrounds or Roll20? It seems like this would be a prime time to try a one-shot.

*So far, as of April 18th

GreyLord

Legend
Several years ago (now) I created a document that I put on DMs Guild. It had options in it that basically made it so people could play OD&D, AD&D, or BECMI but using the 5e rules instead of the rules they came with.

If people wanted to play OD&D with the similar modifiers and classes of the time, they could always get the 5e Old School document I made at that time.

I always intended on making a Greyhawk type follow-up (with random dungeon creation similar to 1e DMG) but never got it put up to do that...at least not yet.

However, for those who know 5e but wanted to try OD&D, that's a way to get the game and flavor without having to try to learn a new system.

teitan

Legend
Not surprisingly, this is the edition of the game that the fewest people have played*, and the edition that the most people wish they could have played. I wonder how easily this could be played over FantasyGrounds or Roll20? It seems like this would be a prime time to try a one-shot.

*So far, as of April 18th

people do play it on those systems from what I’ve seen but it is largely a Google Plus thing. The OSR movement largely developed in Google Hangouts when that was still around.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Heading into the last week of these surveys, OD&D is still the leader in a number of categories. I'll compile and post the results next week, but here's a little bit of a spoiler for everyone: OD&D is by far the edition that the fewest people have played, and it's the version that more people wish they could have played.

I guess that's not much of a spoiler; we all knew that already. :)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
OD&D was out of print when I started gaming in the early 80's, pretty much everyone was on AD&D at that point. I'd like to play it but I'm running an OD&D clone and enjoying it right now.

Remove ads