• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Edition wars ban extension?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh, it's hardly arbitrary. The main result of threads that argue editions seems to be making people so truly pissed off that they sink to insults. I'd be shocked if anyone has ever actually read an edition wars thread and said, "By golly, they're right! My preferred game is nowhere near as good as this other game! Good thing they had a chip on their shoulder and wanted to proselytize!"

Heh. Or perhaps I exaggerate, because there have been some interesting and useful conversations. But those threads have traditionally been hotbeds of reported posts, and justifiably so. I understand why you prefer them, and I appreciate that you're offering your opinion. I just don't happen to agree with you on this subject.

I'm not sure it's quite appropriate in this thread to ask, but since it's related I'm going to...

So, does this mean in another month, this ban will be extended to stifle free flowing discussion on various editions again? C'mon.

I'm curious to know how it is that this ban is "stifling free flowing discussion". Here's what the sticky says:

So for the next month, to allow people to get used to trying things out, no edition wars threads please. No threads where you justify what you hate about 3e/4e and why 4e/3e is so much better. Especially no threads about "I think that the people (who don't think like me) think (this straw man) and I want to talk to them about it". No advocacy threads where you try to convince "the other side".

That still leaves plenty of room to talk about particular features or rules that you personally like or dislike, and why you like or dislike them. Plenty of room for asking questions about stuff. Plenty of room for reasoned discussion of the differences between any of the versions.

It seems to me that any "discussion" that someone wants to engage in is actually possible.

I've seen others saying that the edition wars ban is "stifling discussion" and I'm honestly puzzled by this. The ban is pretty explicit. You're supposed to avoid preaching. Actual discussion of mechanics and how they compare, where something might (or does) break down... all that kind of stuff is allowed.

The 3E houserules forum for example has had a perfectly civil discussion about how something like Skill Challenges can be implemented into 3.x.

Now, I happen to notice that you tag yourself as "Professional 4E Hater".

I'm wondering what kind of discussion it is you're looking to have that would be classed as part of the edition war? With a title like you've got, it's hard for me to see how any kind of discussion could be had; instead it'd just be people talking past each other about how one person is right, the other person is wrong, and some folks inevitably reacting badly after someone makes a comment that's insulting (intentional or otherwise).

What is it I'm missing?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, does this mean in another month, this ban will be extended to stifle free flowing discussion on various editions again?

The only reason we extend the ban is that the jerks are stifling the conversation before we ever get to the threads, so it isn't like you're losing anything.

We understand the difference between discussion and warring. If the former comes up, we leave it alone.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm somewhat disappointed this has been extended, in that a large part of the reason I'm here at all is to learn about aspects and editons of the game I've never really bothered with, compare and discuss them, and purloin any good ideas that might rear their heads.

Ah, well...the upside is a reduced reading load for another month... : )

Lanefan

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm somewhat disappointed this has been extended, in that a large part of the reason I'm here at all is to learn about aspects and editons of the game I've never really bothered with, compare and discuss them, and purloin any good ideas that might rear their heads.

Ah, well...the upside is a reduced reading load for another month... : )

Lanefan

So what part of this (emphasis mine) doesn't work for you?

The Edition Wars Ban Notice said:
That still leaves plenty of room to talk about particular features or rules that you personally like or dislike, and why you like or dislike them. Plenty of room for asking questions about stuff. Plenty of room for reasoned discussion of the differences between any of the versions.

Graf

Explorer
It'd be nice if there were some clear-cut exemptions, like allowing a guy to ask what the differences are between the editions.

Cheers, -- N
Some excessively large proportion of the population either
1. can't really draw a clear difference between a distinction/criticism and well, complaining
2. don't really want to -- they want to have sides, with a winner and a loser, and they want to be the winner

I haven't gone to the forums (except PbP) for weeks because I was sick of every thread turning into a warz thread.
Maybe I'll go have a look now that I know there's a ban. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads