• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effect of 4th Edition on DDO

LostInTheMists

First Post
Does anyone know if the nice folks at WotC have commented yet on the effect of 4th Edition on the D&D Online game? I can't imagine they'll be able to convert the entire game system very easily. Thoughts on whether they're going to try and rebuild DDO, or wait for a DDO2 to implement 4th Edition online (or just give up on the concept of a MMORPG completely)?

Delta

First Post
Haven't heard anything from WOTC on the subject. To begin with, they're not directly affiliated with DDO in any way... it's an entirely separate company that runs that.

Secondly, as a former computer game engineer, I can confidently say that that kind of mechanics switchover is beyond the extent that anyone would attempt to retrofit in an MMO. It would definitely take a brand-new game to see 4E rules appear.

Timmer

First Post
On a side note: marketshare? Who cares... what matters is: are you making a profit? :)

Obviously, they couldn't retrofit 4ed on top of DDO as 1. that would piss off a bunch of players who are playing and 2. that's the same as developing a new game on top of the existing engine and art assets already there.

I.E., It would have to be a whole new game.

That said, I would love a 4ed DDO as 4ed has removed some of the things that made DDO unfun for me and my friends ("I'm a Wizard! Oh, I'm out of spells, now I'll whack on things but, I can't do damage so I'll die or just run out"). Also, a 4ed DDO could take advantage of positioning and tactics much more although, I really think it would help if they went to a turn-based or at least semi-turn-based combat vs the wannabe real time combat they have in now to take advantage of the improved 4ed tactics.

But I would love it if they did all that: make an open world ala Lord of the Rings Online (their other game built on the same engine) with some nice instanced dungeons/quests too for the best of both worlds with some tactical combat instead of blind button mashing and 4ed rules and I'd resubscribe!

IanB

First Post
Mirtek said:
With their impressive 0.06% market share I don't think they will try a new D&D MMO anytime soon

Market share numbers are fairly irrelevant in the MMO world, and they're skewed by the runaway success of WoW. What matters in an MMO is whether or not you are making a profit and what your prospects are for continuing to make a profit, and DDO appears to at least be doing that since development continues.

The biggest mistake that MMO developers - and MMO industry-watchers- are making is looking at WoW and thinking "if we can't produce those numbers, our product is a failure."

Maltrok

First Post
IanB said:
Market share numbers are fairly irrelevant in the MMO world, and they're skewed by the runaway success of WoW. What matters in an MMO is whether or not you are making a profit and what your prospects are for continuing to make a profit, and DDO appears to at least be doing that since development continues.

The biggest mistake that MMO developers - and MMO industry-watchers- are making is looking at WoW and thinking "if we can't produce those numbers, our product is a failure."

0.06% market share = 20,000 subscribers. That's not a success under any category.

The Little Raven

First Post
IanB said:

Nah, the biggest mistake is that they're simply looking to try and grab numbers from WoW or one of the smaller competitors, instead of trying to recreate what made WoW such a success: bringing entirely new people into the industry, instead of trying to cannibalize from it. Instead of fighting over current market share, they should be trying to grow the market as a whole.

I get into a discussion about this with one of our lead developers at work at least twice a month.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Mourn said:
Nah, the biggest mistake is that they're simply looking to try and grab numbers from WoW or one of the smaller competitors, instead of trying to recreate what made WoW such a success: bringing entirely new people into the industry, instead of trying to cannibalize from it. Instead of fighting over current market share, they should be trying to grow the market as a whole.

I get into a discussion about this with one of our lead developers at work at least twice a month.

The whole problem I, and many others have, is paying the subscription. I like to buy once and play. Maybe buying upgrades to explore new areas once I tire. I'd rather pay €40 up front and have no time limit to what I get to do. OR have the 10 levels for €40, either would suit me.

Remove ads