• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Effect of Darkness spell in combat

designbot

Explorer
As a drow, you have darkvision, and you can cast Darkness once a day (after reaching 5th level).

I'm having trouble visualizing exactly how that spell affects combat.

The spell description says:

Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot-radius sphere for the duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.

First of all, bummer that darkvision doesn't work. So much for hiding in the darkness and striking unseen.

The description of vision and light says:

A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition… Darkness creates a heavily obscured area.

The description of the blinded condition says:

• A blinded creature can't see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature's attack rolls have disadvantage.

OK, so based on this, I take it that the sphere of darkness is essentially inky black. Inside it, you can see literally nothing until your eyes break the surface. From outside, you can't see anyone inside or on the other side of the sphere.

That brings us to Unseen Attackers and Targets:

When you attack a target you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn't in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the DM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target's location correctly.
When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it.
If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

OK, so whether you're inside the sphere, your enemy is, or it's just between you & your enemy, the effect is the same. You are both equally affected and can't see each other. Which gives the attacker both advantage (because the target can't see you) and disadvantage (because you can't see the target), canceling each other out.

So the darkness has no effect on any attack rolls for anyone inside or outside of it, except everyone has to guess where their targets are? Is that right? Kind of lame, if so.

I didn't get into the rules for cover, because I interpreted "cover" to mean an obstacle that actually physically blocks attacks, not just the line of sight. If you considered the darkness as providing total cover, then nobody could attack anybody.

I also didn't get into the rules for hiding… I guess that would just affect whether people could accurately target you unseen?

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
So the darkness has no effect on any attack rolls for anyone inside or outside of it, except everyone has to guess where their targets are? Is that right? Kind of lame, if so.
I am not a rules guy, but I think you've got it right.

But in many circumstances, outside of the sphere will be normal light; a drow could cast darkness between himself and his enemy, and scurry away unseen because the sphere of darkness blocks line of sight.

Or hit them with darkness so they can't tell where you're coming from, then drop and attack with advantage.

Or hit them with it and then hit 'em with a bunch of area effect spells. :]

Juriel

First Post
Yes, you read it right, everyone inside darkness attacks normally (because they have both advantage + disadvantage).

It would make more sense for everyone to just have disadvantage, but it could have been done this way intentionally, so it's not just a miss-miss-miss for multiple turns.

Plus, as said, Warlock with Devil's Sight is absolutely ROCKING in Darkness. And because Darkness travels on an item, you can cast it on your pact blade / hat and carry it with you. Or even cover the item, if your partymembers would like to actually see something.

designbot

Explorer
Thanks. Just had an idea—maybe I could raise the darkness a bit off the ground, so the targets' heads would be enveloped, but not their feet. Then I could see the target, but they couldn't see me, granting advantage.

Dausuul

Legend
OK, so whether you're inside the sphere, your enemy is, or it's just between you & your enemy, the effect is the same. You are both equally affected and can't see each other. Which gives the attacker both advantage (because the target can't see you) and disadvantage (because you can't see the target), canceling each other out.

So the darkness has no effect on any attack rolls for anyone inside or outside of it, except everyone has to guess where their targets are? Is that right?
Yes... but the need to guess where your target is makes darkness a killer for ranged attacks. You can cast darkness and then step 5 feet away from where you were, and your odds of being hit drop to essentially nil.

Thanks. Just had an idea—maybe I could raise the darkness a bit off the ground, so the targets' heads would be enveloped, but not their feet. Then I could see the target, but they couldn't see me, granting advantage.
Doesn't work. Darkness has a spherical AoE, not a cylindrical one. There will always be a point right at the edge where feet are visible but the body is hidden; raising the center of the AoE off the ground just moves that point inward.

Last edited:

Yes... but the need to guess where your target is makes darkness a killer for ranged attacks. You can cast darkness and then step 5 feet away from where you were, and your odds of being hit drop to essentially nil.

Doesn't work. Darkness has a spherical AoE, not a cylindrical one. There will always be a point right at the edge where feet are visible but the body is hidden; raising the center of the AoE off the ground just moves that point inward.

The darkness is blocked by wall just like a light. So you could make a device that only blinds your enemies, lets call it anti-flashlight. ;)

So it is entirely possible to make use of darkness in combat. I wish I had read the blinded condition last game day. The players used darkness for their retreat while the halfling held the ground, nearly unhittable by the enemy orcs due to disadvantage...

But yeah, darkness is no real combat spell anymore (maybe against ranged attackers)

designbot

Explorer

I think we're agreeing… you can surround a target's head with darkness (blinding them), but still be able to see part of their body. That should give you advantage when attacking them, right?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
That seems right. One other thing darkness will do is prevent the use of any ability that affect "a creature that you can see" i.e opportunity attack, spirit guardian etc..

Remove ads