• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effective Imprisoning of PC's, how can you do it?

Wotansman

First Post
Ok, so my group has noticed that for Clerics, Warlocks, and Wizards, their powers are based on Implements, however you don't need any of those said implements to cast any of the powers.

:1: So here is the question, how can you effectively "capture" your PC's?

:2: what limits them from using their powers once they are left "alone" in a prison dungeon.

:3: What about the Wizard who wants to Magic Missile his interrogator, he needs no somatic or verbal, so his hands can be tied and he can be gagged, and he still can attack- by the rules (I don't think I'd let my players get away with that though) (Sub note: For Eladrin, they can teleport while bound or grappled PHB 286)?

:4: Note: For Weapon attacks; Improvised weapons can be utilized for powers, so even a rock in a cell can allow them to use their powers, or punches can be weapons, or even a broken bed frame. (I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, I actually like this part).

One possible solution is making a ritual that deadens priestly powers and another for arcane (anti-magic field).

Another solution is not letting the PC's a 5 min. rest. which wouldn't give them encounter powers back, but At Wills would still be a problem.

That's all I got, I hope I've made my question clear.

jackston2

First Post
Cool, I can just imagine the prison wardens whispering in fear at the tiefling they have chained down with anti-magic wards glowing red in the depths of the asylum.

And the surly dwarf who reportedly cleaved through two cell mates with his fist.

thc1967

Explorer
I captured my PCs last night. They essentially had two choices: allow themselves to be captured or fight the guards. They assessed the guards and their situation (one of not wanting to be on the wrong side of the law) and decided to play nice.

They were captured, interrogated, tried, and ultimately acquitted.

The most likely outcome of them not playing nice with the guards during the arrest was TPK, which actually would have been subdual, capture, and imprisonment.

So how do you capture your PCs?

Make sure the people playing them understand there are consequences to every action they take. Regardless how closely the ruleset resembles it, your world doesn't have to be WoW. Your characters can't pillage and plunder at will with no repercussions.

So to answer a couple of your questions based on my scenario last night...

What limits them from using their powers once they are left "alone" in a prison dungeon.

Nothing at all. The guards told them to strip off armor and weapons, but they weren't really restrained. They had to make a choice - use their powers or obey the law.

What about the Wizard who wants to Magic Missile his interrogator...

Yep, they could have done that. However, the party as a whole was unarmed and unarmored and surrounded by several guards that were clearly superior to them in training. The Magic Missile would not have killed the interrogator, but the guards would have quickly subdued the wizard for casting it.

For Eladrin, they can teleport while bound or grappled PHB 286

Yes, my Eladrin could have done that. Once. Then she'd have had to take a 5 minute breather before doing it again. During the arrest, the guards would have worked with other guards to corner and capture her. Once in custody, the facilities were designed to prevent it. There were no windows to any of the rooms they were in (Eladrin need LOS to teleport). She could have zapped to a different place in the holding cell. No big deal.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Honestly, I'd say make it so, at least for the magic using classes, they need something to channel their energy. Take away the cleric's holy symbol and they can't shoot lasers anymore. Take away the wizard's spellbook and he's magic-less. Find, uh, SOMETHING to take away from the warlock.

Wotansman

First Post
thc1967 said:
I captured my PCs last night. They essentially had two choices: allow themselves to be captured or fight the guards. They assessed the guards and their situation (one of not wanting to be on the wrong side of the law) and decided to play nice.

They were captured, interrogated, tried, and ultimately acquitted.

The most likely outcome of them not playing nice with the guards during the arrest was TPK, which actually would have been subdual, capture, and imprisonment.

So how do you capture your PCs?

Make sure the people playing them understand there are consequences to every action they take. Regardless how closely the ruleset resembles it, your world doesn't have to be WoW. Your characters can't pillage and plunder at will with no repercussions.

So to answer a couple of your questions based on my scenario last night...

What limits them from using their powers once they are left "alone" in a prison dungeon.

Nothing at all. The guards told them to strip off armor and weapons, but they weren't really restrained. They had to make a choice - use their powers or obey the law.

What about the Wizard who wants to Magic Missile his interrogator...

Yep, they could have done that. However, the party as a whole was unarmed and unarmored and surrounded by several guards that were clearly superior to them in training. The Magic Missile would not have killed the interrogator, but the guards would have quickly subdued the wizard for casting it.

For Eladrin, they can teleport while bound or grappled PHB 286

Yes, my Eladrin could have done that. Once. Then she'd have had to take a 5 minute breather before doing it again. During the arrest, the guards would have worked with other guards to corner and capture her. Once in custody, the facilities were designed to prevent it. There were no windows to any of the rooms they were in (Eladrin need LOS to teleport). She could have zapped to a different place in the holding cell. No big deal.

I was more referring to the "evil" capture, or the "goodly" if the pc's are of an evil bent. What if they are in the drow dungeon, or the mind flayer layer as slaves, or hobgoblin jail?

Higher level guards work for a time, and even as characters level they might be imprisoned by angels (very high level guards). But there are times when it may not fit the game... still very effective. I'd just want to avoid the whole "every commoner has a 18 str." syndrome.

Spatula

Explorer
I noticed that as well. Relying on blindfolds works, to an extent. A close burst power doesn't need any sort of targetting, so it's pretty much impossible from stopping a caster from using them 1/5 min (or 1/day, as the case may be). Personally I say that divine and arcane powers require the freedom to speak and/or move your hands around, although that is pure house rules.

AndrewRogue

First Post
Being unarmed and unarmored is a big problem. Resisting arrest, especially as a powerful individual, is a big deal.

The simplest answer might just be the simplest. If the guards are incapable of dealing with a prisoner, they don't go soft. The problem is, extraordinary people need extraordinary prisons. When that isn't possible, the answer is obvious. You make it so you CAN deal with it.

Extraordinary prisoners (i.e. the PCs) will be carefully taken care of. Multiple guards, tied, bound and gagged. If the wizard does something stupid, like, say, Magic Missile the interrogator, he is clearly a threat. He'll be summarilly beaten, chained, manacled and blindfolded. Hell, he could well be maimed or killed on the spot.

So... how do you manage effective imprisoning of the PCs? If you can't come up with a way for the prison to function, you make the PCs abide by the system. Misbehaving brings swift and drastic punishment that ensures the PCs don't do it again.

Edit: Seriously. Think of the PCs like epic heroes or, if you must, super heroes. A world with these sort of things is going to come up with some sort of system to deal with them, so having "PC Prisons" isn't that unreasonable. Hell, maybe you just need to consider that, after a certain point, imprisonment as we see it (throw 'em in a cell) just isn't suited for the PCs anymore.

Then you start chucking them in pocket planes or something.

Wotansman

First Post
AndrewRogue said:
Being unarmed and unarmored is a big problem. Resisting arrest, especially as a powerful individual, is a big deal.

The simplest answer might just be the simplest. If the guards are incapable of dealing with a prisoner, they don't go soft. The problem is, extraordinary people need extraordinary prisons. When that isn't possible, the answer is obvious. You make it so you CAN deal with it.

Extraordinary prisoners (i.e. the PCs) will be carefully taken care of. Multiple guards, tied, bound and gagged. If the wizard does something stupid, like, say, Magic Missile the interrogator, he is clearly a threat. He'll be summarilly beaten, chained, manacled and blindfolded. Hell, he could well be maimed or killed on the spot.

So... how do you manage effective imprisoning of the PCs? If you can't come up with a way for the prison to function, you make the PCs abide by the system. Misbehaving brings swift and drastic punishment that ensures the PCs don't do it again.

Edit: Seriously. Think of the PCs like epic heroes or, if you must, super heroes. A world with these sort of things is going to come up with some sort of system to deal with them, so having "PC Prisons" isn't that unreasonable. Hell, maybe you just need to consider that, after a certain point, imprisonment as we see it (throw 'em in a cell) just isn't suited for the PCs anymore.

Then you start chucking them in pocket planes or something.

Another valid point. I think, again, that a new edition requires a new thought process. Nice thread by the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads