• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects - do they require a successful hit to work?

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
As the title suggests, do powers that have an additional effect automatically work, even if you miss with your attack?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Jhaelen

First Post
It depends. If the Effect is indented under the Hit line, then yes, it must hit.
I believe indentation is entirely optional and doesn't affect the effect line. Effects always apply.

The order of the different lines in the power block also shouldn't matter. Normally, they're ordered in a way that makes it easiest to figure out how they work. But each line should have a sufficiently precise description that neither order nor indentation matters.

Bagpuss

Legend
You could have phrased your original post better.

Effects - do they require a successful hit to work?

To which the Answer is NO.

As the title suggests, do powers that have an additional effect automatically work, even if you miss with your attack?

To which the Answer is YES.

In future don't ask the same question twice but turn it around so the answer is the opposite.

Otherwise RigaMortus2 answer doesn't help at all because you don't know which question he is answering.

CapnZapp

Legend
I believe the answer most directly targeted against the OPs confusion would be:

If you by "effects" mean things listed under Effect: headers, yes they always apply. This header is specifically an alternative to headers such as Hit: or Miss:, where by definition Effects: always apply.

This header could perhaps have been renamed Hit or Miss: for maximum clarity.

After all, they all specify what we casually call "effects" of the power, they only differ in the conditions for which they apply. :)

Nail

First Post
It depends. If the Effect is indented under the Hit line, then yes, it must hit.

If not the effect occurs regardless.
Like Hypersmurf, I'm curious: Do you have an example of a power in which the Effect line is indented under the Hit line?

(Unlike Hypersmurf, I don't have the answer beforehand. :))

Remove ads