• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects of Amnesia

Crust

First Post
Hey, all. Some of you might already know that I'm taking my PCs to Hell eventually, and I plan on them traveling the River Styx.

The Fiendish Codex 2 talks about the Styx, how if you fail a fortitude save, you suffer amnesia for 3d6 days. Now, knowing my players, unless I have a clear-cut explanation as to what that means exactly, the game will degenerate into an endless debate about how PCs can convince spellcasters that they can use spells, how fighters can use power attack, how clerics once worshipped gods, and if they pray, they can cast spells. That annoys me, so I want to have all my ducks in a row before this happens.

Is there a definable list of effects that come with amnesia? Is it simply a feeblemind? Of course, feebleminded spellcasters are relatively useless, but feebleminded brawlers could care less in combat unless one of them has combat expertise, etc. Does amnesia give them the mentality of a level 1 commoner, with HD and saves equivalent to their original build, but the mindset that they're an average Joe who won't attack unless defending himself from immediate danger, can't cast spells at all, can't use spell-like abilities at all, can't use feats at all...

Please help. :confused:

Last edited:

krupintupple

First Post
i'd personally say they lose anything class dependant and keep anything race dependant, asides from hit points, saving throws and str and dex-based skill checks, as i see these latter two being more 'hardwired' than something like knowledge, which is learned.

kinda like how you always know how to ride a bike?

although, NPCs makes a lot of sense - you could keep them safe and confused, and it'd really dash any hopes at them attempting to metagame and convince their fellows otherwise.

Transit

First Post
You could have your players swap the characters they're playing for the duration of the amnesia. This would simulate the PCs being unfamiliar with their own abilities. Once the amnesia ends, everyone gets their own character back.

Remove ads