• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

eidolon

eurytion

First Post
Im a little confused on how eidolons work. Do you just choose between serpentine, quadruped, and biped or do you have to pick an animal that falls into one of those categories. And do you have to tell it to attack when in combat or does it move/attack on its own

SteelDraco

First Post
You get to describe the eidolon however you want, as long as it fits the mechanics given. You don't have to pick a particular animal it's based on, just a starting body shape which is modified by evolutions.

eurytion

First Post
does it have its own initiative or does it share mine? Do i roll to hit or does the gm? And the chart in the book says you have 3 evolution points at level 1 and 4 at level 2. Does this mean 4 additional or 4 including the three you got at level 1?

GlassEye

Adventurer
does it have its own initiative or does it share mine? Do i roll to hit or does the gm? And the chart in the book says you have 3 evolution points at level 1 and 4 at level 2. Does this mean 4 additional or 4 including the three you got at level 1?

The eidolon has its own initiative (and the mental capacity to act on its own) so it should act on its own initiative separate from the summoner. The summoner can give it orders, of course, verbally or through their mental link.

Players control animal companions, familiars and the like so the player should control the eidolon and make any attack rolls (and the GM has enough on his plate that he doesn't need to take that on as well).

Evolution points listed on the chart are the total and not cumulative. So at level 2 you have a total of four evolution points, not seven. You are allowed to reallocate all of your points every time you level up, though. This allows you to change things up and buy a two point evolution if you want.

SteelDraco

First Post
For the record, I've always had all "pets", be they animal companions, cohorts, familiars, or eidolons, act on the initiative of the PC. Just makes my life easier.

doubleplusgood

First Post
For the record, I've always had all "pets", be they animal companions, cohorts, familiars, or eidolons, act on the initiative of the PC. Just makes my life easier.

But what if the pet has improved initiative (eidolons get feats) or a higher dex than the player? Seems a waste of a good initiative score....

Derfmancher

First Post
It totally depends on the GM. I ran a summoner as my second character ever. Our GM ran mine as a separate initiative. However a good friend of mine argued to run one as a the same in the campaign directly after that. It is one of those: "Its RAW this way, but ask your GM just in case." moments.

Remove ads