• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eight essential rogue skills?

star

First Post
I agree with umbran and darkbard, there aren't only eight essential skills and the ones you take should depend on the type of rogue you want to be and how you need to fit into your party.

I tend to go with the less subtle route, so I rarely get hide and move silently. I prefer search, spot, listen, open locks, disable device, bluff, intimidate and tumble.

And I agree with Hairro concerning feats. I wouldn't take a skill boosting feat, to me they don't seem worth it. Again though, this depends on the type of rogue you want to be. I would go with dodge, building towards spring attack - but I'm usually in combat heavy games. If your game concentrates on roleplaying then go with the skills. And if you're playing in the Forgotten Realms compromise with the "Thug" feat, +2 to initiative and intimidate.

Star

JayOmega

First Post
Technik4 said:
Re: Jay Omega's Usefulness
Generally, minimal. :D

I think youre right on many accounts, but not all. Listen OR Spot is very very important to a rogue. If you are surprised you still retain your dex, etc, however since the enemy is acting BEFORE you, there is no chance of getting a round 1 sneak attack, which is a pretty signature rogue thing to do. Thus, you may as well not bother with improved initiative.
I feel rogues are active, not reactive. If you are alone, you need to out-Hide your target. If he doesn't see you, you just pass each other in the night. At a minimum, you should be able to avoid a surprise round, and make use of your Improved Initiative in the normal 1st round of combat. Alternately, if you're with your party, the foe spots and ambushes them, and then you step in for the flanking sneak attack.* Either way, good Hide and Move Silently trump good Spot and Listen. And you need Dex, while Wis is a roguish dump stat, so you're a few points ahead on those grounds already.

* - the party I'm currently DMing is 3 rogues, a fairly-sneaky monk, and a fighter/paladin. (One of the rogues has a low-level cleric follower for extra healing.) The plate-mailed-guy-as-bait technique is a fine science with them.

While gather information and diplomacy can be roleplayed, in most 3e modules there are certain DCs that must be beat for info. Also, you appear to count on a paladin or bard, neither of which have been common in my games (which doesn't mean squat, just that it seems weird to me).
I haven't played modules since 1st edition, so there's part of my weirdness. And any module that requires a certain Gather Information roll to succeed is a darn poorly-written module... since I've played in groups without rogues, before, too. :) DCs for these skills aren't generally high, and they can be used untrained. For diplomacy, let the Cleric try. For Gather Info, set the whole party loose for an evening; chances are someone will roll high.

Again, while useful, these skills just aren't top-8. They're "nice to have", not life-or-death necessary or often-used.

I also think you under-rate Escape Artist, imo, it almost makes the top 8 (right after Use Magic Device, on the power route) as a rogue getting grappled or tied up is usually a dead or hand-less rogue thereafter.
Again, action, not reaction. High dex, defensive fighting, tumble, hide, move silently. Don't get caught, don't get grappled. If you get grappled, you fight with light weapons anyway, just stab the guy. If his grappling ability is that good, he'll just grapple you again after you escape, anyway. And, a grapple check is only a few points worse than an escape artist check if you really need to try to escape.

If you're imprisoned, the escape artist check isn't likely to help. You're still in a cell with no equipment. You need to work harder ahead of this; hide, bluff. And any DM that cuts hands off characters (remember, he doesn't have ranks in Pick Pockets :) ) is a pretty poor DM. It's harder to regrow a hand than it is to be raised from the dead. So, either it's equivalent to a fine--you just pay the cleric rather than the magistrate--or it's the same as a death sentence, since a character of any class is useless without hands.

I do agree with you to a certain extent; I'd probably put this skill 10th on the list, or say that after gaining a few ranks in Swim (enough that one can Take 10 and still swim with a full load of equipment), one should start taking ranks of Escape Artist. But the original poster wanted just 8 skills, so I'm playing by his rules.

For the record, 9th would be Open Locks. Just for the situations when you don't have the ability to bash open the locked door. (Badly-written modules with solid-Unobtanium doors leading to teleport-shielded rooms with no ventilation, which contain something critical to the quest.) I wouldn't split Open Locks with Swim, because you need a lot of ranks to be worthwhile. (That super-door doesn't likely have a mere DC20 lock on it.)

You left jump out completely, but I imagine you'd say "see climb". While this is mostly true, jumping can be invaluable (and very inexpensive at low levels, see Ring of Jumping) and provides good synergy with tumble.
Got it in one. Movement skills are better served by magic, or by letting strong people do the work for you. And if you do have a +30 ring of Jumping, the 4 or 5 extra points from ranks just don't seem like much help.

Sense Motive is also a good skill that doesnt get a lot of play. You can't just whip out a scroll of detect thoughts when a noble is interrogtating you (or vice versa) and you certainly can get expected to have a detect magic cast in your area if the noble is important. In either case, sense motive reveals their true nature non-magically.
Again, it's useful, but not nearly top 8. Probably 11th, though. It's an opposed roll, so if you're dealing with someone as powerful as you (high level noble), you're likely to fail (admittedly, the save on Detect Thoughts is also likely to cause you to fail.) The combination of being able to role-play the interaction, plus the fact that the skill is seldom used compared to the others, and that you need to keep it maxed for it to be useful against equal-level "threats", keeps it well out of the top 8, IMHO. You're better served by using Detect Thoughts at the time, or clerical Divination magic after the fact.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, Spot and Listen are 12th and 13th on the important skill list, so now this post covers what you "need" for an 18-Int human rogue, if you just want to keep skills maxed out.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
cool thread!

Personally I always give my rogues Improved Initiative. Earliuer move means more likely to catch the PCs flat footed.

Tumble is important for the flanking moves as well...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Olive said:
Personally I always give my rogues Improved Initiative. Earliuer move means more likely to catch the PCs flat footed.

Which brings up the point - what makes a potent PC and a potent NPC are not the same thing. The NPC, in a sense, doesn't have to worry much about long-term effectiveness, and can be optimized for their encounter with the PCs.

Personally, I'd rather not give every NPC rogue this feat. NPC feats should be chosen like PC feats - with an eye to the character's history and purpose in life. To say that every single NPC rogue is interested enough in melee to spend the feat on it seems artifical to me. If you dont want your players being "munchkin", then as a DM, you must set an example, and not choose feats solely for their use against the party.

mmu1

First Post
Re: JayOmega's Rogue Skills

I think you're wrong about several of them. Your campaign description (three rogues, a fold-up cleric for healing, heavy-armor guy as bait) makes it seem that you cater to the rogues and that in this case, the rest of the party is just there to support the three of them. You also make a lot of assumptions about what sort of magic they'll have available to bypass the skills they didn't take.

For example... It's a party-based game, which is why most groups (where the majority of PCs don't have Uncanny Dodge) probably wouldn't appreciate the rogue not taking Listen and Spot just because he doesn't have to worry about ambushes. Yeah, the guy running the rogue can be as selfish as you describe, but in my experience, most people don't play that way.

Last edited:

Goobermunch

Explorer
Generally:

Hide
Move Silently
Spot
Listen
Search
UMD
Tumble
Disable Device

I never, ever take open locks. I buy "lockpicks--" wands of knock. I'll use UMD to open the lock. It's faster and it doesn't fail.

After those 8, I'll fill in with social skills: gather information, sense motive, and diplomacy. They don't need to be maxed.

--G

Rashak Mani

First Post
ESSENTIAL essential ?

Only:

Move Silent
Hide in Shadows
Tumble
Bluff (combat and non combat necessary)
Search (traps and other stuff to find)

Pumping either Listen or Spot helps too....

The rest is "optional". With search you can find traps... Dis.Dev is nice but not "Necessary". Trap heavy campaign... then Dis Device comes into its own.

The rest of the skills are useful and important... but that varies by DM and campaign. If your human with 14 int... its not 8 but now 11 per level skills too. :)

As for the Feats... to spend a FEAT for +4 total in skills for a Rogue is the worst thing you can do. NEVER EVER spend feats with skills with a rogue.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Goobermunch said:
I never, ever take open locks. I buy "lockpicks--" wands of knock. I'll use UMD to open the lock. It's faster and it doesn't fail.

...unless you fail your UMD roll, that is - and like Jay said, you need a pretty good bonus in UMD before it's worthwhile. What do you do for the first 5 or so levels?

(And how much faster do you need it to be? An open lock attempt takes 1 round according to the SRD. Is the MEA you save with the wand really worth it?)

Then there's this:

wand of knock: 4500 gp, 50 uses
magic lockpicks (+10 to open locks): 2000 gp, infinite uses

Really, though, you can make the 'rely on magic' argument for any of the rogue skills. Why put points into Hide? Use an elven cloak, shadow armor, or invisibility. Move Silently? Boots of elvenkind. (Cheaper and longer-lasting than the wand of knock!) Search? Just use various detect spells.

If you rely on UMD for everything, you are going to a) spend a lot of money and b) be hosed if you are ever caught without your equipment.

"OK, the guard is gone, let's get out of this cell! Pick the lock."

"I can't. They took all my stuff."

"Here, I stole this fork from dinner. You can bend it into a makeshift lockpick."

"Oh, I didn't take Open Locks. I just use a wand of knock."

(later)

"OK, now all we have to do is get over this wall. Here's the rope we made from the bedsheets - climb up the wall and tie it to something so the rest of us can get up."

"Er..."

"What now?"

"I didn't take Climb. I always use scrolls of levitate."

J

Rashak Mani

First Post
hahaha... funny "criticism" :) Very true too.

Thou people with 8+Int skills usually have loads of points to use.... and the last time our Rogue tried to use a cure light wand with UMD he fumbled.... so UMD hasnt had too much "prestige" with our group.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Good points all. However, I was given 8 skills to choose from. I value UMD above open locks for the reasons stated. There's one other reason-- I can always make the mage use the wand.

As far as the cloak of elven kind, elven boots, and the like are concerned, I like to augment those skills. I use them and max the skills. But I tend to play sneaky rogues.

The three detection skills are, to my mind, the most important ones. I take them all and keep them maxed.

Tumble is extremely useful because it allows the rogue to both maximize his/her damage dealt and evade damage at the same time. It's the one combat oriented skill I take.

Finally, disable device is unique among rogue skills because it does something that casters cannot do-- it allows the rogue to deal with traps. While lateral thinking can allow a wizard to bypass many traps, I haven't seen any spells that allow outright neutralization.

The point is . . . I prefer to allow arcane magic to take care of the lock issue because it's easier. When my character has a high enough Int, I may add that skill in as a backup.

--G

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads