• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eight is Enough: How Many Classes?

JohnSnow

Hero
Scholar & Brutalman said:
Actually, Logan's statement was:

There are 8 classes in PH1, but more will come out later in other books and the magazines.

I really can't parse that as "8 or more in PH1." That's "8 now, more later."

Is it?

Let's say there are, in fact, 9 or 10 classes in the PHB. Does that mean there aren't 8? No. It means there are 8 (but not only 8).

It's also certainly possible that there's been a change since he said that.

JohnSnow said:
Is it?

Let's say there are, in fact, 9 or 10 classes in the PHB. Does that mean there aren't 8? No. It means there are 8 (but not only 8).

"There are 8 classes in PH1, but more will come out later..." is what puts a limit of 8 classes in the statement.

JohnSnow

Hero
Scholar & Brutalman said:
"There are 8 classes in PH1, but more will come out later..." is what puts a limit of 8 classes in the statement.

Well, it can certainly be read that way. I'm just saying I don't think it HAS to be read that way, and if one were trying to be deliberately misleading, in order to preserve some form of surprise, one could say that without it being a flat-out lie. On the other hand, they may just have changed something since Logan made that comment.

More to the point, are you honestly saying you'd rather have Logan's statement be RIGHT than potentially get another class in PHB1?

'Cuz that's the key point here. How many classes are they planning to put in PHB1 (at this point in time)? According to what Mike Mearls said YESTERDAY, there may be more than 8. That's potentially a very Good Thing (TM).

Gloombunny

First Post
JohnSnow said:
Well, it can certainly be read that way. I'm just saying I don't think it HAS to be read that way, and if one were trying to be deliberately misleading, in order to preserve some form of surprise, one could say that without it being a flat-out lie. On the other hand, they may just have changed something since Logan made that comment.
Twisting words that far is no different from a flat-out lie. "Things have changed" is by far the most reasonable conclusion.

More to the point, are you honestly saying you'd rather have Logan's statement be RIGHT than potentially get another class in PHB1?
Where did this come from? "He said there were 8 classes in the PHB" does not equate to "I want 8 classes in the PHB".

JohnSnow said:

More to the point, are you honestly saying you'd rather have Logan's statement be RIGHT than potentially get another class in PHB1?.

No, I'm honestly saying that I would rather that Logan's statement be a mistake, or something that was true at the time but has since changed, rather than a flat-out lie.

I'm saying that if Logan made that statement knowing that there were more than 8 classes in the PH1 at the time then the only way I can interpret it is as a deliberate lie. And I don't think that's what happened.

Cadfan said:
I'm sure he thought there'd be 8, and later they decided maybe not. This is no big deal.

Well it does tell us that the PHB is still in a fair bit of flux, and that anything that was stated earlier on (like at Gencon) may no longer be operative. I'm thinking of Dave Noonan's You-tube video that discussed the roles of classes for example.

Beckett

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
Is it?

Kind of like how many months have 28 days- they all do, just most have more.

I'm betting they were working with 8 at the time of Logan's statement- 2 per role- and they've adjusted things since then; I seem to recall reading that the Warlock wasn't originally going to make it in the first book, but is now there.

Just goes to show why they don't want to say much- they say something, it's gospel, and there's a segment of the internet crowd which is looking to nail them if things change.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads