• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eladrin Sword Wizardry Question

qotile

First Post
Help me to see if I understand this correctly,

If I make an Eladrin Wizard and give him Wand mastery, then give him Eladrin Sword wizardry, a longsword will count as a wand. If I take Implement expertise: wand, that will still give it's bonus, even when using a sword to cast spells.

Bonuses to hit with a sword will not count, I'd assume?

Let's say I take wizard of the spiral tower paragon path, and second implement orb feats at lvl 11. Now, my longsword counts as both an orb and a wand, correct? So If i have Implement expertise: wand, and Implement expertise: orb, do those both stack?

And can I cast a spell, give myself +whatever to hit with the wand mastery, then give the monstert -whatever to saves on that spell with the orb mastery, all while only wielding a sword?

LittleFuzzy

First Post

If I make an Eladrin Wizard and give him Wand mastery, then give him Eladrin Sword wizardry, a longsword will count as a wand.

Yes.

If I take Implement expertise: wand, that will still give it's bonus, even when using a sword to cast spells.

Yes/

[Bonuses to hit with a sword will not count, I'd assume?

Correct.

Let's say I take wizard of the spiral tower paragon path, and second implement orb feats at lvl 11. Now, my longsword counts as both an orb and a wand, correct?

Yes.

So If i have Implement expertise: wand, and Implement expertise: orb, do those both stack?

No. The errata for the PHB2 clarifies that bonuses from multiple Expertise feats do not stack. Similar to the above, you can't take weapon expertise in axes and polearms and have them stack when using a halberd.

And can I cast a spell, give myself +whatever to hit with the wand mastery, then give the monstert -whatever to saves on that spell with the orb mastery, all while only wielding a sword?

Once an encounter for each, yes.

DracoSuave

First Post

If I make an Eladrin Wizard and give him Wand mastery, then give him Eladrin Sword wizardry, a longsword will count as a wand. If I take Implement expertise: wand, that will still give it's bonus, even when using a sword to cast spells.

ESW specificly says that you get benefits from feats that you'd get if it were a wand. So, yes, this does.

Bonuses to hit with a sword will not count, I'd assume?

Proficiency bonuses do not. Any other bonus to hit with a specific sword do, unless it says weapon powers or weapon attacks. Enhancement bonuses do, for example.

Let's say I take wizard of the spiral tower paragon path, and second implement orb feats at lvl 11. Now, my longsword counts as both an orb and a wand, correct? So If i have Implement expertise: wand, and Implement expertise: orb, do those both stack?

Expertise feats do not stack, even if two different ones would apply to the same attack. This is from the errata.

You get all the benefits of a wand from class features (So Wand of Accuracy counts) and your sword counts as an orb (So Orb of Imposition works) therefore you can do both.

And ew.

Remove ads