• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elanor in Orithea

Tizbiz

Explorer
My players have already abducted Isobel Travers in Orithea by teleporting into Elanor Yanette´s Room while she was asleep.

I had recounted the last session in greater detail at: "Elanor in Trekholm"

Elanor was left unconscious having been repeatedly hit with a blunt ends of Mr. Carlyle´s weapons (one of the player characters) and Mr. Mapple agreed to take the blame. Isobel Travers was spirited away and cools her heels inside a antimagic cell under Flints RHC Headquarters.

The train left Orithrea without Elanor Yanette. Elanor is absolutely broke and still unconscious because one npc RHC Constable posed as a doctor and gave her some additional knock out drugs.

I think that Elanor is an experienced traveller and knows the Avery Coast well. She will pull some strings and use some of her magic to contact her customers in Nalaam. They are going to arrange for her to teleport to catch up with the train and will give her enough money to look for Isobel.

The first question is: Will Elanor or some hired mage be able to scry or divine Isobel inside the antimagic cells under the RHC HQ?

Elanor will seek revenge on Mr. Mapple. But she either needs to get Isobel back or abduct Auryn (the female eladin player character) as replacement. I was wondering where Elanor will teleport to? Trekholm would be an option to get herself reacquainted to Auryn and prepare to invite her to the arena. Or would she teleport to Nalaam where her customers will provide her with goons and where she has more time to prepare a trap?

The last question: How can i abduct Auryn in Nalaam without cheating? The party members have incredibly keen perception skills + equally superb sense motive skills and the dice seem to always favor them. And Mr Carlyle is an alchemist and knows about drugs and even has the scent ability.

I would be very happy to hear your opinion or your experience in a similar event.

Hm. What game is this? 4e, 5e, PF? That alters what divinations are well-known.

Scrying on her is a no-go. But some sort of divination to identify where she went and who helped her is perfectly feasible, especially for rich scoundrels. They probably won't go after the RHC headquarters, but they'll sure as hell out the PCs as RHC agents, which should ruin their mission.

How to work this depends on what you think your players will accept. The party honestly f***ed up by not killing her. She has the allies and the vindictive personality needed to spend a lot of money figuring out who 'stole' Isobel, and she could probably get the three buyers to show up in person and bring a whole goon squad of city authorities to arrest the PCs. Jurisdiction wouldn't really matter; there are rich guys who are pissed off at the party, so the party could get arrested and thrown into cells under the arena. Then Kulp could come to them, let them know that he runs the games, and is supposed to send them out to be executed by monsters, but he's Vekeshi and so will help them get out of the arena to attack Elanor and her mages.

Alternately, the authorities could just show up and arrest Auryn, since Elanor would have documentation saying that she is 'caretaker' of an eladrin woman (the documents might be slightly modified to match the description). They grab Auryn on threat of extreme violence if the PCs resist. Make sure Elanor mentions that she won't be in the city long, since she'll be making quite a tidy profit off this woman's sale tonight. This then gives the party a short clock to do some (honestly fairly easy) investigating to figure out where the sale is, then crash the party.

Tizbiz

Explorer
Play Pathfinder and my players are level 10.

As far as i know most divinination work in PF by asking Questions that will be answered with yes or no.

I dont see how the opposition could find a clue about the party being RHC with this kind of answers. And Mr. Mapple has made an effort to appear as the abductor.

Finding out that Isobel is in Flint might be possible but i dont see a way that divinations can yield the RHC as her protector.

Greys of Shade

First Post
I fear that Elanor wouldn't have much luck divining on Isobel in an antimagic zone.

I don't know where you want to limit Elanor's spell or spellcaster access, but I guess level 5 would be a good rule of thumb. Which means spells from a 9th or 10th level caster.

Locate creature would simply fail, if not for the antimagic, then for the running water between Flint and Nalaam/Trekhom/Orithea. Divination might offer her cryptic advice on a possible plan to regain Isobel (or abduct your PC). Contact other plane works with the yes/no/maybe/irrelevant answers you already mentioned, and so does commune. Contact is pretty risky on the caster though (a good chance of taking Charisma damage) or it might produce false answers. Commune might be harder to get as it is a divine spell. What would definitely work is discern location, but this is an 8th level spell.

Now, a commune/contact spell might lead to some really funny situations or conclusions depending on the questions Elanor would ask. It might even seem like Mr. Mapple is an RHC agent if all other evidence points at him or something similarly strange if the spell produces utterly wrong answers.

Also, whether or not Elanor can link the abuction of Isobel to your party via divination might depend on the nature of their cover identity. Did they use their real names? Did they use magical disguises? Is the doctor a real doctor and is his identity linked to the other PCs? you get the idea.

From a GM's perspective, I like the idea of changing Elanor's documents to match your Auryn. Your players seem to have put some effort into hiding Isobel and cracking the RHC wards might feel like cheating. It might be more engaging to let them face the consequences themselves.

Tizbiz

Explorer
Thank you all for your input. :cool: My party had really prepared well and their cover identities are very good. The RHC npc doctor is a real doctor and a cleric. She might be suspisious for drugging Elanor and i will think this over.

I think that Elanor will blame Mr. Mapple for the missing Isobel and will get frustrated because she can´t scry Isobel. She is going to punish Mr. Mapple.

As her merchandise (Isobel Travers)is not available, she desperately needs to kidnap Auryn!

If she was present in Trekholm, she might learn about the RHC constables martial prowess during the attack on the train.

But she will most likely teleport to Nalaam to prepare for the kidnaping. She would underestimate the power of my players during this stage.

Because of this i probably will choose the option of her presenting false evidence of Auryn being her possession and have Nalaams security or Arena mages secure "her Eladrin slave". Yet i have one problem, that all her evidence of possesing Isobel Travers was stolen by the players. I will probably have to bombard my party with dominate person spells to subdue them.

I wonder, if i can lure my party of two players somewhere and tell them that the need to leave their weapons because of security restictions. This would be the place where Elanor sends her goons to collect Auryn. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Remove ads