• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Defender Prestige Class(a few changes)

Merlion

First Post
Ok heres a first draft of a prestige class for a spellcaster focusing on defense. I did it up pretty quickly, and the order of some of the abilities may need to be changed a bit, and of course general trimming and pruning.
Tell me what you think

Eldritch Defender

Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
Feats: Combat Casting, Extend Spell
Spells: Must be able to cast 4th level Arcane spells, including at least 5 that add a bonus to AC or saving throws.

BAB, BSB, Skills as Wizard

Spellcasting Progression: Full, accept levels 4 and 8

1st level: Effective Defense: at 1st level, whenever an Eldritch Defender casts a spell that grants a bonus to armor class or saving throws, the bonus increases by +1. at 5th level, it is +2, and at 9th,+3.

Protective Magic: at 2nd level, the Eldritch Defender gains access to the Eldritch defender spell list. He may learn and cast any spell on the list. Additionally, casters who prepare spells (Wizards etc) are able to prepare one extra spell per spell level per day from the list, and casters who do not prepare spells (Sorcerers etc) gain an additional known spell at each spell level from the list.

3rd level: Bolstered Defense: at 3rd level the Eldritch Defender’s protective spells become very hard to dispel. Any spell the Eldritch Defender casts from the Eldritch Defender spell list gains a +4 competence bonus to the DC of the caster level check to dispel it. This increases to +6 at 6th level.

4th level: Impart defense: at 4th level the Eldritch Defender treats any spell on the Eldritch Defender spell list with a range of 0 or a Target of You as though it had a range of Touch. At 8th level, he may treat such spells as though they had a range of Close.

5th level: Extended Defense: at 5th level, once per day the Eldritch Defender may cast a single spell from the Eldritch Defender spell list as though under the effects of the Extend Spell feat, without changing the spell slot used or casting time. He may use this ability twice per day at 9th level.

7th level: Mass Defense: once per day at 7th level the Eldritch Defender may cast a single spell normaly subject to Impart Defense as an area effect spell with a radius of 30 feet around the caster, that affects one creature per 3 caster levels.

9th level: Defensive Aura: at 9th level, the Eldritch Defender gains a +2 competence bonus on Armor Class, and all saving throws.

10th level: Ultimate Ward: at 10th level, once per day, the Eldritch Defender may create a barrier around himself and others with a radius of up to 50 feet, extending even beneath the ground he stands on. This barrier completely blocks all spells and forms of attack, and all objects and creatures, from passing through it in either direction. The barrier lasts only as long as the Eldritch Defender concentrates, or until it has blocked a maximum of 15 points of damage per caster level. Each time the barrier takes damage, the Eldritch Defender takes 1d4 points of non lethal damage for every 10 points dealt to the barrier. The Eldritch Defender cannot take actions apart from speech while maintaining the barrier. If the barrier is brought down, the Eldritch Defender is stunned for 1 round and takes 15d6 points of non lethal damage. He may attempt a fortitude save for half damage. A Mordenkainen’s Dysjunction spell will remove the barrier.

Eldritch Defender Spell List

0th: Resistance

1st: Mage Armor, Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Sanctuary, Shield

2nd: Resistance, Greater*,Resist Energy, Shield Other

3rd: Eldritch Aura*, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle Against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Protection from Energy

4th: Force Shield*, Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin

5th: Eldritch Barrier*, Spell Resistance, Wall of Force

6th: Antimagic Field, Forbiddance, Force Field*, Globe of Invulnerability, Glyph of Warding, Greater, Repulsion

7th: Spell Immunity, Greater, Spell Turning

8th: Cloak of Chaos, Holy Aura, Mind Blank, Prismatic Wall, Protection from Spells, Shield of Law, Unholy Aura

9th: Prismatic Sphere

Last edited:

SlimeGuru42

Explorer
I really like the flavor of this class as a super specialized abjurer. There aren't enough classes that deal with abjurations! I think that the abilities fit it very well. The only thing I see that might be a problem is the +3 AC per spell. With shield, mage armor, and protection from evil, thats an extra +9 AC. I don't know if thats a balance problem or not, but you might want to run it through some field tests to see if it needs limiting to +2.

Other than that it looks really nice! I think the two caster levels is more than a fair trade for being able to cast shield on a friend, and the Ultimate Ward is a nice situational ability that probobly won't be used every day, but would help immensely against a foe like a dragon. Really nice indeed for a first draft :)

~Derrick

Merlion

First Post
The +3 is quite a bit, but they dont really get it untill high level...and the usefulness of AC bonuses is much less at very high level since most things attack bonuses are so high, their going to hit you regardless.

Remove ads