Eleanore's Request (Fantasy MnM 3E, Recruiting)

Shayuri

First Post
Well, changing the array away from Dynamic means you free up 1pp per slot switched.

Also, I think you can reduce the number of slots required for the array, which either saves you more points, or frees up points to expand the value of the array.

Either way, you win.

As for 1...let me repost for a second so I can dissect...

I'm not really using senses with counter concealment to say I can see concealed spirit, I'm describing that there are invisible spirits everywhere talking to Quevadyn and so say you are standing behind a wall, she's not really seeing thru walls but there is a spirit telling her you are standing there. The point is not to see spirits, but to see everything using spirits. Is that possible? Would that be visual instead of mental, it's mental from the spirits to her, and I don't imagine spirits really use eyes.

Okay...yes it is possible, but you have to think in terms of what the mechanical effect is, not the flavor text.

So basically, you want to be able to detect things through walls, for example. Since she's hearing things that tell her where objects are, I'd say pattern this sense off of Hearing. If she's deaf, it won't work. This makes the power work kind of like Sonar, only instead of hearing 'pings,' she's hearing a spirit go, "He's over here."

Now you can buy stuff for it off of that.

A few wrinkles to consider.

Since the sense is hearing, powers like illusions and concealment only block it if they work on hearing. So you probably don't need Counters Concealment/Illusions. Penetrates Concealment would still be appropriate to 'hear' things through walls.

How do the spirits find things? This might be a kind of weird "hybrid" thing, where spirits have to SEE the target, then tell you. In which case I would call the sense Visionm since the most important part is the part where the spirits have to see the target. The whispering can be considered uninterruptible...making it essentially just a piece of flavor text for a sense that acts exactly like super vision, even if you experience it as whispering.

In that case, you wouldn't need it to be Accurate, because Vision is already that. You should consider what conditions block the spirit's sight though. Can they see in the dark? Can they see invisible things? Can they see things made invisible?

You can say yes to those things, but it will be very expensive. Perhaps over time, she learns to interpret the whispers better, or can harness the whispers of more powerful, less limited spirits.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I'd suggest getting Selective on your various Environmental Effects, DoM. Like it is now you can dynamically apply any combination of them at a time, sure, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) they each affect the *entire* 900' radius area, without discriminating between allies and enemies.

However this means that it IS an official part of the character, and becomes an option for character or plot advancement. How's that sound to people/GM?
Works for me. :) What about the "royalty" bit then (people are never satisfied, are they ;))? I guess he could be from another clutch entirely, if you want? Or how about making him a Minor/Petty Noble (perhaps from a different mother/father?) to reflect his use of HP's to get those advantages? (Only people who aren't aware of his real status treat him like *true* royalty?)

PS: BF, that actually looks a lot like the NPC Guardian I'm using over in my Jemals Anniversary thread - except my Guardian has dark hair and a bigger sword... and maybe a couple fewer spikes. :p
*And* he has a giant "I" burned into his face?! Wow, small world. ;)

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
OH I see the "I" now. I originally just saw it as just a standard 'big scar across the eye'

As to the royalty - Well you'll have to wait for the background & Complications, but I've got an idea I like. :D

Jemal

Adventurer
Ah my favourite responses to 'there's no I in team:
"There's no U either."
"There's an M and an E and that spells ME".
:)

Binder Fred

Decided to go with Penetrating 3 on the Dungeon Smasher power. Also gave him a "Running out of Quills"/ammo Complication. (here)

- Running Out of Quills : The Thorn king can usually regrow all of Baclava's forearm quills in an hour or two. In range-combat-heavy encounters (or in circumstances negatively affecting faeries or natural healing/growth), this is often not enough.

Still thinking on the Growth 2... What if I didn't want the 2 point str enhancement on it, [MENTION=6690219]SuperZero[/MENTION] (which doesn't make much sense for a medieval armor SFX)? Would that be a -1 per rank Flaw? A two point Quirk?

How about just buying a +1 mass Quirk on the Protection (i.e having Quirk Bulky Flat(-1 to Mv rate), Quirk Heavy Flat(+1 Mass), Removable on it)? Would that be acceptable? Or maybe Quirk Heavy Flat(+1 Mass, -1 Stealth)?

EDIT= By the way, I'll be AFK on friday (business meeting out of town).

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Impervious Bubble: Immunity X (Physical Effects. Sustained, Area: Cloud+1, Limit: Immobile-1, Two-way (blocks physical crossing from both sides, so caster cannot send stuff out) -1:
Cool idea, [MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION], but looking at it what you seem to have built here is a power that grants everybody within 15' the Immunity X power, i.e. Immunity doesn't create any physical barriers as far as I know, it just auto-nullifies certain attack types. At range this makes little difference (except that fire attacks, for example, could still set the grass around you on fire (unless you buy the Affect Objects Extra to give immunity to it as well)), but at close range nothing in the power is actualy stoping enemies from coming into the spell's area of effect (and, as designed, they too would automatically gain Immunity to X once they entered!). (You would also need to add the Affect Others Extra, as Immunity is a personnal power at base.). Instead, I'd suggest starting with a Limited Create Object base and linking an Immunity, Affect Only Others +0, Reach 3 (15'), Affect Objects Only +0, Limited (Affects only object created by main power) to it?

Shayuri

First Post
Or you could save yourself effort and just buy a Create Object limited to creating a dome. It wouldn't make people completely immune to damage, but it would make people harder to hurt. Make it selective, and we can shoot back out of it. :)

Jemal

Adventurer
I wanted to avoid multiple limited create objects because that's one of the biggest exploits available with variable is using the same power but each time with a different limit tailored to circumstance.
EX: Perception damage rank 6 (Limit: only on Humans, Limit: Only on females, Limit: only on people with red hair) costing 3 points to only affect red headed female humans. VERY big limit in a fantasy campaign.. unless you happen to be facing a red headed female human and used 3 pts from your variable pool to create it.
Or to use the create example, each time you create it you limit it to a very specific shape - the one you want to make - and basically cut the cost in half. You haven't lost any utility because if you need a new shape you just switch your variable to creating THAT shape, which means that the 'limit' Isn't... limiting.

Now I know you're not suggesting I do THAT per se, it's just my reasoning behind why I don't want to start. It can be a slippery slope.

That having been said, I've already done it with Wall of Force because I was having trouble coming up with another way to do it. HOWEVER, thanks to your guys' ideas I now have an idea to combine the two.

Remove ads