• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Electronic Character Sheet for laptop use

cougent

First Post
Here is my rather strange situation: I have an old laptop that I have started using in games. The resolution maxes out at 1024x768 and most of the sharacter sheet forms / programs / utilities that I have found either scroll off the bottom of the page while leaving unused space to the side, or fill the whole screen and still have more that scrolls off the bottom. So far all of these have also been Portrait format, which is part of the scrolling problem.

I am looking for a Landscape character sheet form that will fit a whole page in the 1024x768 resolution. Is there any such beastie out there in the wild ethernet?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Not that I've seen, they're almost always designed to fit the standard 8.5x11 paper sheet. Well then there are the compressed versions for notecards.

Redrobes

First Post
My suggestion would be similar to the one I mailed over at WotC...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=982116

1024x768 is not a great deal of pixels to get a lot of text out of. Therefore you might have to have a system that can either page up bits of the sheet or else navigate to them easily. If you go for a graphical solution then your font will need more pixels to keep sharp than a custom or native screen res font.

It definitely can be done but it might need a more flexible approach than you were intending.

Also, how old / what kind of CPU / graphics and RAM laptop are we talking here. Win98 with Pentium II or a bit better - 256 Mb ?. You may find that putting Ubuntu on it would make it faster tho I would not necessarily recommend that if your not experienced with setting that up.

Thanee

First Post
You want to look at the sheet and use it from the laptop during play?

Just make one yourself... with Word, Excel or whatever you have. :)

Bye
Thanee

cougent

First Post
Redrobes said:
My suggestion would be similar to the one I mailed over at WotC...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=982116

1024x768 is not a great deal of pixels to get a lot of text out of. Therefore you might have to have a system that can either page up bits of the sheet or else navigate to them easily. If you go for a graphical solution then your font will need more pixels to keep sharp than a custom or native screen res font.

It definitely can be done but it might need a more flexible approach than you were intending.

Also, how old / what kind of CPU / graphics and RAM laptop are we talking here. Win98 with Pentium II or a bit better - 256 Mb ?. You may find that putting Ubuntu on it would make it faster tho I would not necessarily recommend that if your not experienced with setting that up.
It is a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (circa 2000) PIII 850 MHz 512MB RAM and a 120GB HD. The video is only 8MB though. Currently has WinXP but could / might be swapped to Linux.

Thanee said:
You want to look at the sheet and use it from the laptop during play?

Just make one yourself... with Word, Excel or whatever you have. :)

Bye
Thanee
That is Plan B, just thought I would check and see if there was something already out there to use first. I already made a landscape print version once, but can't find it now.

Thanks for the ideas, time to just sit down and do it myself I guess. [grumble, grumble]

RiTz21

Explorer
cougent said:
I am looking for a Landscape character sheet form that will fit a whole page in the 1024x768 resolution. Is there any such beastie out there in the wild ethernet?

YES: The LapTop worksheet, part of The Only Sheet Plus, was specifically designed to FIT a laptop screen... It basically is a résumé of your character on a screenful !! (I added a sample below, reduced to be visible)

Since TOS+ is a Dynamic Character Sheet, it means you can activate effects on the fly. For example, if you add "Haste" on the LapTop worksheet, your character will automatically be updated with ALL the effects of Haste... This video shows what I mean (you'll need to wait a bit before it starts, as it is not streaming)

If you have any questions, I invite you to check the community forum for The Sheet!

Cheers!

RiTz21

TOSPLUS_Laptop.jpg

cougent

First Post
Thanks RiTz21! that looks like just what I need.

Nylanfs, I may take a whack at that, but we could both be old before I finish it.
(ok, you may be old and I would be ancient)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads