• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Campaign World

DamionW

First Post
Hello everyone. Relatively new to the boards here. I wanted to run by the forums my take on a four elements based campaign world I've been kicking around for a long time. I'm sure it's been hashed in many fashions before, but I wanted to post my take and get some critiques. My later post has the handbooks attached, but you can read ahead to get the gist of the setting.

I'm a fairly novice GM, but long time player, so be gentle. It started 8 years or so ago when I was walking through a doorway exiting a courtyard and the wind rushed in after me, almost alive. I imagined a game world where the four elements were not static, other-planar forces to be called on from time to time by mages and druids. Instead they're ever-present, dynamic, living beings battling for real estate and devotion on the Prime Material Plane. They take part in all aspects of civilization in this world, politics, economy, religion, and always the battles of the inner planes spill over onto the mortal world.

So I essentially took a generic DnD world, same racial archetypes, religions, etc, and overlaid a 2nd ed cosmology. In that sense, I assume when a mortal descends in consciousness and self-awareness, they become ethereal, and beyond that they go to the Inner Planes which make up the basic blocks of existence. When one ascend in conciousness, they go Astral where they can springboard to the Outer Planes. In this campaign world, due to some magical or divine accident, the Ethereal Plane was shredded and made so paper-thin that the Elemental Planes punctured through and formed permanent gates with the Prime Material in several places. This led to an influx of elemental beings and powers that mortals had never dealt with and it took centuries to adapt.

The game would be set millenia later after society has acclimated to the new immigrants and powers. All characters in the world belong to one of six groups:

Earth: Includes dwarves, some gnomes, some goblins, stone giants, and other earth-related or subterranean creatures. Heavily into mining and agriculture and drive much of the worlds economy with food and metal. Generally hard-working but proud and greedy.

Air: Includes halflings, the rest of the gnomish populace, aaracokra, djinni, giant eagles, and other wind-related creatures. Mostly modeled after nomadic savannah and desert cultures, i.e. the Dothraki from George R.R. Martin and arabic cultures. Extremely free-spirited and constantly at war with the greedy earth peoples. Masters of archery, airborne combat and raising horses on the open plains.

Water: Includes aquatic elves, merfolf, triton, lizardfolk, and other aquatic/marsh peoples. Most peace-loving and compassionate of the factions, but mighty in battle. Paladin orders were reborn under the water banner not to uphold good and law, but more to champion creation against the destruction of fire and bring water and food to the weak and thirsty.

Fire: Includes orcs, goblins, salamanders, efreeti, azers and other destructive and fire-based cultures. When fire forces first arrived, the orcs quickly flocked to worship their destructive powers and burned their way across the land. The aquatic paladins scattered their plague to the winds, and since then the azers rose to dominance. They "unionized" the flames of the world and any living thing wishing to feel their warmth must pay them tribute.

Wildwood Council: A neutral culture made of druids, rangers, fey, and wood elves. As the elemental forces raged, a group of druids organized to be spokespersons for all living things of the world. They brokered the steady peace that has lasted for as many generations as most can remember, keeping to their wooded forests and arbitrating conflicts between the other factions.

The Enclave: A scattered collective of those who cling to the way things were before the coming of the four forces. Made up of bards keeping the oral heritage alive, arcane spellcasters, and clerics of the old gods in small convocations, they preach the fallacy of embracing the four elements that nearly annhilated the races that dwelt on this world. Their pleas fall on mainly deaf ears, though, and are viewed as heretics by many.

That's the big overview of the campaign world. I was hoping you readers could look at the handbook and map and give me your comments. Specific feedback and source material I'm hoping for is:

1. Balance issues that are glaringly off in my rules. I tweaked the spell lists and classes considerably, and I'm a novice so I may have overstepped myself.
2. Suggestions on the "Quencher of thirst and flame" concept of an aquatic paladin. I like the flavor of it over the typical good v. evil variety, but would appreciate inputs.
3. Suggestions on how to make druids non-elemental, but instead add more fey characteristics and have them more diplomatic and enchanting than just fire-wielding guardians of the forest.
4. I'm looking for rules for Gnomish pilots. I like the idea of some gnomes taking to the skys in small-size air elemental powered machines, but could use some help getting to that state. Anyone seen anything like this out there? Most of what I've seen is the Tinker Gnomes of Dragonlance, but I don't want that exact type, especially not the history, cosmology and heritage of failure they have.
5. NPC ideas for some archetypes for each faction. I have a good plot arc to involve the players in, but not enough NPC ideas to hook them into that plot. Any NPCs that could fit those elemental groups would be appreciate it.

Thanks for reading the long post and I appreciate constructive criticism.

Last edited:

genshou

First Post
Turanil said:
The links were broken when I tried them.
That's because those are links to specific files within the Files section of a Yahoo! Group, which only function once and even then only work if you're logged in, a group member, and have permission in that group to access the Files section.

DamionW, perhaps you should attach the files to your next post? That way we can access them :D

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Even if the links worked, most people here hesitate to download other people's virus collections -- I mean, other people's word docs. You'll get a better response if you simply post the text here -- and the best response if you take the time to format the text for us. :)

Cheers, -- N

DamionW

First Post
Sorry for the trouble. Still a newbie here. Wanted to post a link because the file is pretty big with several chapters and didn't want to make everyone scroll through it just to get the idea. Let me try attaching the handbooks instead, but the map file is too large. In the first part of the handbook you can see most of the rules tweaks I'm proposing. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Elementia_Handbook_Part1.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Elementia_Handbook_Spells.doc
    238.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Elementia_Handbook_Geography.doc
    56 KB · Views: 88

Funeris

First Post
Well, I disregarded the virus risk and downloaded your files anyway. My initial thought (from glancing over Geography and the Spell List and reading the entire Handbook part 1) is that you have a good idea going here.

I am a fan of customized races/classes...changes you've instigated through characters belonging to the six different groups. I think it would be an interesting change of pace.

Now, my major criticism (I'm not going to speak on balance...because I don't consider myself well acquainted with that aspect of design) has to do with the spell lists. I think that the wizards, sorcs, et. al. should be able to cast the spells you've restricted. I realize that they have dozens of other possibilities (from gazillions of 3rd party supplements and even WotC supplements) but here's why I think they should still be able to cast those restricted element spells:

They're considered heretics. You've mentioned that the populace at large thinks that they steal power from the four elements. Why not allow them to cast the spells, thereby solidifying the claim of heresy? Besides, it would make for some great role-playing when they have to explain to the guard that "Yes I did drop the scorching hands...and no, I'm not a supporter of the fire lords." It could open up a wide variety of adventuring hooks.

But that's just a suggestion...more than a criticism. I like it (I love homebrews). It's interesting.

If you could email me the map, I'd appreciate it.

Try: orleans_pi AT yahoo DOT com....obviously replacing AT and DOT with the appropriate symbols.

~Funeris

DamionW

First Post
Funeris said:
Now, my major criticism (I'm not going to speak on balance...because I don't consider myself well acquainted with that aspect of design) has to do with the spell lists. I think that the wizards, sorcs, et. al. should be able to cast the spells you've restricted. I realize that they have dozens of other possibilities (from gazillions of 3rd party supplements and even WotC supplements) but here's why I think they should still be able to cast those restricted element spells:

They're considered heretics. You've mentioned that the populace at large thinks that they steal power from the four elements. Why not allow them to cast the spells, thereby solidifying the claim of heresy? Besides, it would make for some great role-playing when they have to explain to the guard that "Yes I did drop the scorching hands...and no, I'm not a supporter of the fire lords." It could open up a wide variety of adventuring hooks.

But that's just a suggestion...more than a criticism. I like it (I love homebrews). It's interesting.

Thanks for the comments. I tried to leave some elemental spells in (Fireball but not flaming sphere, lightning bolt but not chain lightning, etc.) so that they would still have a few hallmark element related spells, but the majority had been lost from spellbooks as some mages converted to the new ways, but I see the validity in leaving everything in. It could increase the number of hooks. I'll e-mail you the map, but it is a 3MB bitmap file, just to warn you.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
DamionW said:
3. Suggestions on how to make druids non-elemental, but instead add more fey characteristics and have them more diplomatic and enchanting than just fire-wielding guardians of the forest.

The Aspects of Nature rules from the UA (and found in the Hypertext SRD)
give a variant to Wild Shape (including things like Ability Score boosts, flight and plant form) they also have elemental forms (which fits perfectly the intent of your campaign world). I'd allow Druids to use the non-elemental Aspects to replace the exisiting elemental wildshapes.

The Spell list is harder because of the huge amount of 'Weather' spells, but if you can live with weather spells being used by Druids then all I'd do is tell my players the fire based spells in the Druid list are not available. Perhaps replace them with some equivalent 'illusions and enchantments' to get the 'Fey' feel

IMC I have a world where spirits are active and often encountered as NPCs etc (usually done by applying half-celestial/fiend templates to animals) and it puts an interesting and fun spin on the world. To give them even more importance magic items can only be acquired from these spirits (eg a clestial heron might give one of its wing feathers as a feather token).

Last edited:

DamionW

First Post
Tonguez said:
The Aspects of Nature rules from the UA (and found in the Hypertext SRD)
give a variant to Wild Shape (including things like Ability Score boosts, flight and plant form) they also have elemental forms (which fits perfectly the intent of your campaign world). I'd allow Druids to use the non-elemental Aspects to replace the exisiting elemental wildshapes.

The Spell list is harder because of the huge amount of 'Weather' spells, but if you can live with weather spells being used by Druids then all I'd do is tell my players the fire based spells in the Druid list are not available. Perhaps replace them with some equivalent 'illusions and enchantments' to get the 'Fey' feel

IMC I have a world where spirits are active and often encountered as NPCs etc (usually done by applying half-celestial/fiend templates to animals) and it puts an interesting and fun spin on the world. To give them even more importance magic items can only be acquired from these spirits (eg a clestial heron might give one of its wing feathers as a feather token).

I'll have to take a look. I did tweak the spells to include more charms and illusions (Mass suggestions and invisibility instead of weather and fire spells, for example), but I was stuck at just removing elemental wild shapes because I didn't have a replacement, but I added the ability to spontaneously swap cures at -1 spell level. I'll have to take a look at the non elemental wild shapes. Thanks. Cool idea with your animals, too.

Remove ads