• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Power Source

Camelot

Adventurer
The more I think about the elemental power source, the more I want classes broken up by element.

Earth=defender
Water=leader
Fire=striker
Air=controller

Just break it up like Codex Alera does, and go to town. I never confused their furycrafting with D&D style arcane magic.

That's exactly what I thought of doing at first. Their neato new mechanical trick was going to be auras along the lines of the catastrophic dragons (when hit with their own damage type, their aura activates). But then...

Actually, considering how the Elemental Chaos in 4e is a wild mixture of all elements, I'd expect the power source to be likewise. Pure elements are the exception, not the rule. I was actually surprised pure elementals finally turned up in MM3.

Anyway, at this point I doubt we'll see classes using the elemental power source. If they're doing anything with the power source at all, I suspect it will be to create hybrid source builds for existing classes.

I thought of this (the first part). Why limit elementalists to using one element? So now I'm trying to gather ideas on what such classes would be called, and some fun ideas for elemental mechanics (I'm thinking auras and/or full disciplines with minor actions instead of moves...).

The only class name I can come up with is the elementalist, though. =P

AngryMojo

First Post
I thought of this (the first part). Why limit elementalists to using one element? So now I'm trying to gather ideas on what such classes would be called, and some fun ideas for elemental mechanics (I'm thinking auras and/or full disciplines with minor actions instead of moves...).

The only class name I can come up with is the elementalist, though. =P
I think limiting elementalists to one element may not necessarily be a good idea, although I'd love it and it'd be easy. How about have the classes sit on the divides between the elements, so each one feels different in an instantly recognizable way, but doesn't have the full spectrum of elements to work with?

For Earth/Fire we can have the Cataclysm Knight (Defender). Heavy armor, the ability to channel the strength of the earth into his arms, make any weapon a flaming weapon, and play off the Cataclysmic Dragon's auras, as mentioned upthread. How about this:
Aura of Eruption
Trigger: An enemy marked by you makes an attack that does not include you as a target.
Effect: You gain an Aura 1, or increase your aura by 1. Enemies that move into or end their turn in your aura take 5 poison damage per tier from volcanic ash.
When your aura becomes 3, you make the following attack.
Close Burst 10, targets enemies.
Con+2/+4/+6 vs. Reflex
1d8+Con damage and target is knocked prone
Increase to 2d8+Con at 11th and 3d8+Con at 21st.

For Fire and Air we have the Skyblazer (Striker). Melee focused, but highly, highly mobile. For extra damage, how about something like this:
Skyblaze
Trigger: You hit a creature with a melee attack after moving
Effect: You fly your speed and do not provoke opportunity attacks during this movement. Creatures adjacent to you during the start and end of this movement take Fire damage equal to your Con modifier.

Hit up Air and Water, you get the Storm Magus, a controller that hurls lighting, wind and water in a barely containable torrent.
Whirling Storm
Whenever you use a ranged attack power, it creates a zone one square larger than the attack's area that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that ends it's turn in a square of Storm must make an Athletics or Acrobatics roll against DC (??) or be knocked prone.

I'm not sure what we'd do for water and earth, but I'm sure a leader could be brought through from it.

The more I think about it, that's what I want from an elemental power source. Not harnessing the elements, but channeling the might of the elemental chaos in a barely controlled fashion. Big, flashy powers that can go awry, and are more like a sledgehammer than a scalpel.

Camelot

Adventurer
I didn't mean I was going to limit each class to a number of elements. I meant why should I do that? Each class would be able to use any damage type, but probably the builds will be build around damage types (instead of styles of fighting like other classes).

I also did some quick research for a defender name and came up with Gyre. It is literally "a circle or spiral." I imagine elemental defenders to draw their enemies in like they're the center of a whirlpool, tornado, or hurricane.

Incenjucar

Legend
I've always been a fan of calling elemental powers "Realizations."

I've been a fan of the idea since 2nd Edition, personally, and I see a lot more room for it than most do. Sadly the forum where I post most of my views on the matter is currently down, so I can't just copy-paste my deeper thoughts on it.

Generally, I see Elemental as being the Active Manipulation power source. Most classes tend towards Fire and Forget. Summoners and Conjurers have some active manipulation (Summoned creatures, zones, walls, etc), but it only defines them in very specific builds, and usually this is a controller function. For Elemental classes, however, I see them working primarily through various-scale sustained abilities, with Fire/Forget and such being a side-note for when they need a damage spike.

I see them using sustainable encounter powers, at-wills that stack slightly, using summoned minions for basic effects like marking and healing, not only conjuring walls but moving them around the battlefield, manipulating the battlefield itself more often than opponents (creating Challenging Terrain around a target rather than Slowing them, etc), and generally turning passive abilities into active ones.

As much as I enjoy the classic elements, I'm definitely for mixed elemental Elementalists. I want my acid and storms mixed with my fire and earth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads