Elemental Princes of Evil / Archomentals

The Serge

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Another D&D nerd question:

1. Assuming you use the Blood War and essentially the "ancient" history of the D&D multiverse, how old does that make the war between Law and Chaos? My temptation is to say "several thousand years" (probably tens of thousands), but then we've also got dinosaurs, and my temptation there is to imagine that the "world" of D&D (Oerth, for my purposes) is thus millions of years old, just like Earth. How do you guys square the apparent contradiction? Or has the Blood War been going on for millions of years? Are folks like Orcus and Demogorgon millions of years old? Really? Isn't that a bit lame?
Not at all.

If one's dealing with immortal creatures that not only live forever (unless killed through special circumstances) but represent a fundamental ideal that defines existence, it stands to reason that such struggles would exist in perpetuity. I don't think we should be expected to grasp such a concept, but I do think it's plausible.

Also, who's to say that all worlds in the material plane were brought into existence at the same time. Some may be only ten thousand years old, others may be millions of years old, and others still may be extinct, cold husks flowing through space (or across a turtles shell). So, for your campaign setting, elements related to the Blood War may have only a 9000 reality if your world is 10000 years old.

In my campaign, this is the second world (third in some cases). Humanoids (starting with the dwarves) have been recording history for a little over 13,000 years. Although the Bloood War has no direct impact on my world, those aware of it would initially recognize it as having been affecting Midlorr for about 13000 years. However, at Dicefreaks, the attitude is that the Blood War has been raging for as long as most beings (and all gods) can remember... effectively an eternity and, as a result, millions, if not billions, of years. The likes of Demogorgon, "Asmodeus," and other primal planar lords have been around for a longer time frame than the war. We have no problem incorporating this breadth into our various campaign settings as folks sort of pick when their world would have been affected.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The Serge said:
BTW: When will we see another installment of the Demonomicon in DRAGON? I don't think we've seen anything since Pazuzu.

The July issue, #333, is supposed to have a Demonomicon article on Fraz-Urb'luu in it.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
The Serge said:
BTW: When will we see another installment of the Demonomicon in DRAGON? I don't think we've seen anything since Pazuzu.

Dragon #333, which hits subscribers as early as this week, contains a mighty long article on Fraz-Urb'luu.

We've got another scheduled for #337.

--Erik Mona

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:

This is barely more than a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing it's either Zuggtmoy or Malcanthet, because those two are mentioned as examples (along with Demogorgon and Pazuzu) for Fraz-Urb'luu's deception power.

Zuggtmoy hasn't been seen since the original Temple of Elemental Evil (not counting some blurbs here and there, or when she was finally allowed back to the Abyss in RttToEE).

Malcanthet is a succubus demon lord, called the Mother of Succubi, among other titles. She's never been mentioned (that I've seen) except in the "Maure Castle" adventures in Dungeon #112 and #124.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alzrius said:
This is barely more than a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing it's either Zuggtmoy or Malcanthet, because those two are mentioned as examples (along with Demogorgon and Pazuzu) for Fraz-Urb'luu's deception power.

Zuggtmoy hasn't been seen since the original Temple of Elemental Evil (not counting some blurbs here and there, or when she was finally allowed back to the Abyss in RttToEE).

Malcanthet is a succubus demon lord, called the Mother of Succubi, among other titles. She's never been mentioned (that I've seen) except in the "Maure Castle" adventures in Dungeon #112 and #124.

Have I mentioned how much I absolutely love this feature? It absolutely oozes coolness and assaults my every synapse with its tingly fantasticness. :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Alzrius said:

it would be tres cool to see Zuggs again. though she's been mentioned here and there (a few times in Planescape, i might add), she hasn't gotten any real attention in about 20 years - much like Fraz'urb'luu for that matter. :)

Remove ads