• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental questions...

Runestar

First Post
Was it ever stated anywhere that you had to wear rings on your fingers? I was under the impression that you were simply limited to 2 per player.

Amazing Mumford

First Post
I tend to agree, Runestar-- I don't ever remember an exact statement that rings had to be worn on fingers. What if you had a tentacle, or a claw? Rings do re-size... I think regular limit to "2 per individual" is really the only rule, unless you had a feat or magic item that allowed use of another one. Doesn't matter how many limbs you have-- a thri-kreen couldn't normally use 4 rings, and an awakened octopus sure couldn't use 8!

Frankthedm-- I think the 8 point bonus sounds reasonable... as for the air elemental, if it's in it's natural environment hiding why wouldn't it get +8? Same as a fire elemental hiding in fire, right? An air elemental just plain *looks* like air... hmmm, would a fire elemental hiding in a large fire also get total concealment? It would, in effect, be submerged-- right?? Or am I going too far with that one?? Unless one would rule that an air elemental can't "hide in plain sight" or something... if it just *looks* like air though... What the frik does an air elemental look like????

You know, I really wish the MM would go into greater detail on the physical nature and properties of elementals. I definitely house-rule them as fairly amorphous-- even earth elementals, who are really made of earth, not solid rock. Does anyone out there agree, or does this give them too much power for their CR?

So we've pretty much figured out (thank-you very much, the_orc_within) that up to a large water or air elemental can fit in the largest-size bag of holding, or up to a large water, air, or fire elemental (or up to a medium earth elemental) can probably fit in a portable hole. I would rule that the fire elemental probably would damage a bag of holding, so that wouldn't be possible. Does anyone else want to weigh in on the magic item issue? How far-fetched is it that a water elemental would have a brooch of shielding floating around in it??

Runestar

First Post
For the air elemental at least, one can argue that since it doesn't get any miss chances while fighting, this suggests that the players have no problem spotting the air elemental when it is a puff of air (or whatever an air elemental is supposed to look like). So I am not sure if it can "hide" in plain air or something.

This might work for a water, earth or fire elemental though. I can imagine the fire elemental hiding in a wall of fire or something.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Slightly off topic:

Oddly, by RAW, I don't think there's anything preventing a huge fire elemental from "hiding" (ie, getting total concealment) in the dark!

*8)

Amazing Mumford

First Post
But the presence of the fire elemental would mean that it was no longer dark-- it would be a light source! Kinda like trying to hide in the dark if you're surrounded with faerie fire...

Dross

Explorer
Yes but hiding behind "air"....:)
To wear a ring you need fingers, are elementals fingered, some pictures seems to show they have.

Actually you only need to have an appropriate limb*. Having a greater number of appropriate limbs does not help as stated earlier.

The WoTC rules of the game articles on animal cohorts etc wearing/using magic items notes that birds could use rings on their talons, but I don't think horses could use a hoof.

I would, however ask about the fun factor? There is not a "plainly that can't be done by RAW" so as long as it does not completely screw the players over, allowing elementals to use rings seems a great way to surprise them.

* what is an appropriate limb I'll leave the reader to figure out.

Remove ads