• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic - Mythic Earth (post-release proofread complete!)

donm61873

First Post
I have a couple of questions: First, what's the fix for the Craft Permanent Spell/Craft Permanent Item feat issue? I haven't seen any errata for it, and while I think it's pretty obvious, I've got a long streak of being wrong on that :(

Second, I'm actually more interested in using the ME system with Fantasy d20, and so I'm wondering what the XP values would be for the boons for the Mage class (which raises the question why the Fantasy d20 Mage class has CP...). Same issue with Table 2.5: Magic Item Limits...

I have no experience with the d20 Modern system, but the ME system looks great if I could use it with Fantasy d20. Some of my players who were frightened by EoM are way more comfortable with ME, with one skill to a page, as opposed to the "complexity" of EoM.

Sigh.

OR, will the upcoming fixes make ME equally compatible with Fantasy d20?

Please?

Verequus

First Post
donm61873 said:
I have a couple of questions: First, what's the fix for the Craft Permanent Spell/Craft Permanent Item feat issue? I haven't seen any errata for it, and while I think it's pretty obvious, I've got a long streak of being wrong on that :(

Don't you have the revised version? Looking at it, there is only one feat, Craft Permanent Spell, for both applications. If something is unclear, then it is better to formulate out - so it is unclear for me, if i've covered the whole question.

donm61873 said:
Second, I'm actually more interested in using the ME system with Fantasy d20, and so I'm wondering what the XP values would be for the boons for the Mage class (which raises the question why the Fantasy d20 Mage class has CP...). Same issue with Table 2.5: Magic Item Limits...

CP are converted into XP 1:1 - this is cleared in the appendix for the d20 Fantasy conversion.

donm61873 said:
I have no experience with the d20 Modern system, but the ME system looks great if I could use it with Fantasy d20. Some of my players who were frightened by EoM are way more comfortable with ME, with one skill to a page, as opposed to the "complexity" of EoM.

Sigh.

OR, will the upcoming fixes make ME equally compatible with Fantasy d20?

Please?

As I mentioned above, there has been attached at the end an appendix. This appendix explains everything and as this part of the PDF has been mentioned on the first text page several times, I'm wondering, how you could miss it. BTW, there is already the revised version available - if the front and back cover pages are integrated into the PDF, then you've got it already. Otherwise redownload the file.

donm61873

First Post
Well, I'm looking at the revised version - I just THOUGHT I saw a discussion above about how Create Permanent Spell should be broken into two feats, and wondered if that was going to be errata. Guess not :)

And my Fantasy D20 questions are from looking at the appendix. The Mage class in the appendix uses CP for it's boons, and I was trying to figure that out. And yes, the appendix does say 1:1 for XP, in the Action Points discussion.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Verequus

First Post
donm61873 said:
Well, I'm looking at the revised version - I just THOUGHT I saw a discussion above about how Create Permanent Spell should be broken into two feats, and wondered if that was going to be errata. Guess not :)

There was such a discussion, but I don't remember, why RW did choose not to break them apart.

donm61873 said:
And my Fantasy D20 questions are from looking at the appendix. The Mage class in the appendix uses CP for it's boons, and I was trying to figure that out. And yes, the appendix does say 1:1 for XP, in the Action Points discussion.

BTW, why do you need the XP cost for the boons?

donm61873 said:
Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

No problem!

donm61873

First Post
Why do I need the XP cost for the boons?

Because (unless I've really missed something), there are no boons given in the pdf.

If boons are a choice for a Fantasy d20 EoM-ME Mage, I need some way to give my players some choices for boons, yes?

donm61873

First Post
On to other Fantasy d20 issues for ME...

Tradition feats.

I'm thinking about having the following traditions: Bardic Apprentice (learned from an old Bard), Collegiate Bard (learned Bardic stuff at a college of bards), Wizard Apprentice (learned from an old Wizard), Sorcerer (figured it out by yourself), and numerous divine traditions for gods, one of which would cover Druids. Instead of one collegiate Wizard feat, eight traditions for Wizards (because my campaign uses that silly Abjuration, Divination, Transmutation system for its' magical politics).

I don't suppose anyone else is working in this direction... ?

Verequus

First Post
donm61873 said:
Why do I need the XP cost for the boons?

Because (unless I've really missed something), there are no boons given in the pdf.

If boons are a choice for a Fantasy d20 EoM-ME Mage, I need some way to give my players some choices for boons, yes?

I don't have now a copy in front of me, so this is from the the top of my head. IIRC, then you don't need to convert the CP into XP, as the rules for the magic items use already the denotation CP. Furthermore I've got the impression, that everyone can create his personal boons - just create a spell with the wanted effects. So you don't need to create boons, unless you want some examples for your players or you want to restrict the boons to certain ones, but this is against the basic spirit, that everything is possible.

Verequus

First Post
donm61873 said:
On to other Fantasy d20 issues for ME...

Tradition feats.

I'm thinking about having the following traditions: Bardic Apprentice (learned from an old Bard), Collegiate Bard (learned Bardic stuff at a college of bards), Wizard Apprentice (learned from an old Wizard), Sorcerer (figured it out by yourself), and numerous divine traditions for gods, one of which would cover Druids. Instead of one collegiate Wizard feat, eight traditions for Wizards (because my campaign uses that silly Abjuration, Divination, Transmutation system for its' magical politics).

I don't suppose anyone else is working in this direction... ?

What is the difference by being tutored by an old bard and by a bardic college? And while I can understand, that you want to split Wizard Apprentice and Sorcerer, what would be the actual difference? The same goes for the divine and the arcane traditions. The latter have also the problem, that the core schools don't map into the EoM-ME skills 1:1. Elements of Magic Revised includes list of a few core spells, which are in different schools, but in the same spell list. Maybe you need to redefine your own setting, if you don't overcome this problem with appropriate and sufficiently different tradition feats.

donm61873

First Post
In my campaign, the various arcane specialty colleges are quite different, so the traditions work for them. The difference between a bard who learned from a mentor and a bard who learned at a university is also obvious in the setting (the mentored bard is a sneaky loner, and the university bard tends to snobbish effeteness...)

And I want Sorcery as a tradition, to represent the "it's all inside me" idea. Think of it as a freeform tradition - you can't learn from anyone, but you the player work with me to decide your benefit.

And as far as boons, I want some examples of what would be available for my players. Sure, the sky's the limit, but some solid examples would be helpful to them :)

So, I think I'm going to build some sample boons first, then work on traditions. The other good reason for building sample boons is that I can use them for NPCs.

The biggest problem with any free-form spell system is putting together the NPCs.

donm61873

First Post
I thought it might be easier to understand what I'm thinking of with tradition feats if I posted some ideas. I'm working with Greyhawk deities so that it's easier to understand what the God should imply.

INITIATE OF BEORY [TRADITION]
Your faith in Beory, Fountain of Life, governs your magical power.
Benefit: All magical skills are class skills to you, but you may not use death, mental or sonic Attack spells, do not gain telepathic or mind reading Charm spells, and may only use obedient Summon spells.
Mishaps: You take damage equal to the spell level, and suffer a -1 penalty on all Spellcasting checks for the remainder of the day.

STUDENT OF BOCCOB [TRADITION]
Your steps walk in the footprints of Boccob the Uncaring, Master of Arcane Knowledge.
Benefit: All magical skills are class skills to you.
Mishaps: You suffer a cumulative -4 penalty to spellcasting checks for the rest of the day.

SERVANT OF INCABULOS [TRADITION]
Your willing service to Incabulos, master of evil sendings, grants you magical power.
Benefit: You gain the magical skills Attack, Charm, Cure, Defend, and Illusion as class skills. Your Attack spells deal death or mental damage. You gain a +2 bonus on Attack death spellcasting checks.
Mishaps: Choose a non-lethal affliction from the Attack spell of approximately the same level as the spell, such as blindness, fatigue, or some combination of effects. The affliction lasts for the remainder of the day, cannot be healed magically, and allows no saving throw, to teach you respect for your master.

MYSTERY OF ISTUS [TRADITION]
You have learned your magical powers from the service of Istus, Mistress of Fate.
Benefit: You gain the magical skills Charm, Cure, Defend, Divine, and Summon. You also gain Concentration as a class skill.
Mishaps: You lose your sense of where or when you are, perceiving another place or time for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level. During this time, you are considered blind and deaf. This effect can be dispelled, restoring you to normal.

CULTIST OF NERULL [TRADITION]
Your task is to gather souls to Nerull, Lord of the Dark and Prince of Death.
Benefit: You gain the magical skills Attack, Cure, Defend, Divine and Transform as class skills. Your Attack spells deal death damage.
If you have a sharp weapon handy, you can choose to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless sentient creature, gaining a +4 blood bonus to your skill check, if you begin casting your spell immediately after killing the creature. You can choose simply to deal 1d6 points of damage to such a creature instead, gaining only a +1 blood bonus to the magical skill check for that spell.
Mishaps: You take 2 points of Constitution damage, and also take damage equal to the spell's level. If you cast the spell using a blood bonus from a coup de grace, your spell simply fails, and you suffer no damage.

Some beginning ideas for campaign-specific fantasy religious tradition feats. I'd love to know if I'm close to the right track, or way off base...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads