• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic - Mythic Earth (post-release proofread complete!)

wizofice

First Post
Question. Does a Transform spell changing the target into a creature of a different size (that is, using the Creature Form enhancement) also require cosmetic changes (such as the +6 for changing to a size larger or smaller)?

rugiii

First Post
EoM Community?

Well, I finally found a board that deals with EoM (which I recently bought)...and I see that there's been 1 person in the last couple months who has even posted.

wizofice, I do not know the answer to your question. I have been looking for some place to ask my own questions...and mine are pretty basic questions.

genshou

First Post
rugiii said:
Well, I finally found a board that deals with EoM (which I recently bought)...and I see that there's been 1 person in the last couple months who has even posted.

wizofice, I do not know the answer to your question. I have been looking for some place to ask my own questions...and mine are pretty basic questions.
There hasn't been much discussion going on around here recently, that is true. But keep in mind that most of us have lives. Or at least spend too much time gaming to watch these boards like hawks. Feel free to ask your questions. I can answer a lot of them. :)

genshou

First Post
wizofice said:
Question. Does a Transform spell changing the target into a creature of a different size (that is, using the Creature Form enhancement) also require cosmetic changes (such as the +6 for changing to a size larger or smaller)?
Hiya wizofice! Since there aren't any example spells given for Transform, it's hard to make an official ruling, but given that creature size is already a part of its Challenge Rating, I'm inclined to say that the Cosmetic Changes enhancement is not required in order to change size categories when using the Creature Form enhancement--the size change in Cosmetic Changes is for when you are attempting to adjust your height as part of a disguise, just like the similar spells in D&D.

In EoM Revised I ended up using both... you had to pay for the shape of the critter *and* for the size change...mainly because changing into a Dire Bear was too cheap for the results.

This meant you could Transform into a Medium Bear.. if you wanted to be Large it would cost more.

And as to the community... besides Ranger Wicket being soaked up in the "War of the Burning Sky" project and not having time, there are a handful of us who have been posting since EoM was published here and can give reasonable responses.
- In short, don't run away just because it takes a couple of days for a response :)

genshou

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
In EoM Revised I ended up using both... you had to pay for the shape of the critter *and* for the size change...mainly because changing into a Dire Bear was too cheap for the results.

This meant you could Transform into a Medium Bear.. if you wanted to be Large it would cost more.
I did the same thing in Revised, but the Cosmetic Changes enhancement is more in line with alter self in its effects, so the size change detail in there about changing a single size category wouldn't be appropriate for the Creature Form enhancement, since that would make it impossible for a human to turn into a cat (or anything larger than an ogre).

wizofice

First Post
genshou said:
Hiya wizofice! Since there aren't any example spells given for Transform, it's hard to make an official ruling, but given that creature size is already a part of its Challenge Rating, I'm inclined to say that the Cosmetic Changes enhancement is not required in order to change size categories when using the Creature Form enhancement--the size change in Cosmetic Changes is for when you are attempting to adjust your height as part of a disguise, just like the similar spells in D&D.

Thanks, Genshou. That's essentially how the GM ruled it, but I feel cheap getting freebies. Good to know we're on the right track.

(BTW, we're using it for an Iron Heroes game set in Waterdeep FR).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am chugging away, trying to fit EoM:ME into Spycraft 2.0.

Problems involve the damage save for NPCs and the different armor system. Has anyone else tried to Spycraft this?

One other problem I am having is trying to balance new traditions against the old - one of my settings is an 1880s Steampunkish espionage game, and I would find an integrated system for creating traditions very handy. (I am putting the Order of Golden Dawn and Theosophist Society into the game.)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* As an aside - I have no idea which PDF shop I bought this from, though I think that it may have been the old E.N. World shop. Have there been any changes made to the system since October 17, 2005?

Last edited:

I'm not familiar with Spycraft, however honestly, there was no precision in creating the traditions. I just winged it with all of them, trying to create a tension between options and drawbacks. With the benefit of extra playtesting, I've realized the system starts to get overpowered around 6th level, at least vs. other d20 Modern classes. In D&D it wouldn't be too strong. Not sure about Spycraft.

And I think there was one revision in late October that year. Don't recall.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads