Elements of Magic teaser, Move Element list

This isn't quite as pretty as I would have liked, but hopefully you'll settle for a .doc file. If one of you could convert this to .rtf and reupload it, that'd be great.

Please tell me what you think, particularly if you're okay with Fire representing spirit movement.

Attachments

• Move Element.doc
    91 KB · Views: 175

Khorod

First Post
*Move Death: "Except when using the Still or Anchor option, a creature’s base movement cannot be reduced below 10 ft. (unless of course its original base speed is less). "

Not to nitpick, but here's a nit. So... what does Move Death do to something with a speed of 10?

*Move Fire: Great notion linking it to spirit. The spark of a soul, fire-scrying, the celestial bodies of the mythological Astral Plane, all point to fire. If you rotated the symbolism, Life or Death would be the next best. Just out of curiosity, how would one Move Fire in the literal sense? Force?

*Move Life: I get a kick out of that table. If it incremented in 13's it would be even better ;) Does hurling yourself forward at +1000 movement also negate inertia? 'Cause stopping would hurt. (I assume that's a yes, but had to ask)

*In the Move Space Teleport Precision Paragraph, its unclear what the DC's are. Then I saw DC 20. Then I saw the table listing the actual DCs. That's a heart-attack or -burn inducing format.

*Move Time: Maybe the heart attack frequency would be reduced if the introductory Move Time was to Move yourself in Initiative Order? Starting smaller means ending without a universe in flux.

That was probably more specific than you had meant, but I enjoyed myself so you can just... um. Give me more to look at? I didn't get the earlier EoM, but I'll have to get the new one...

Last edited:

Khorod

First Post
That was odd, the attachment manager wouldn't recognize or accept .rtf. Doesn't seem to be on The List.

Here's a zipped RTF.

Attachments

• Move Element.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 109

SpuneDagr

Explorer
Hmm. It seems like this isn't so much Move [element] as it is Move Via [element]. Is there a way to really move elements? How would I take a big pile of rocks and build them into a big tower? How do I empty a lake? How do I create a strong breeze?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this book, it looks AWESOME!

Kannik

Hero
-trying to breathe-

c.v.: Move Time

must... try... to... breathe... too... funny... for... monday... morning... }:>

Kannik

(in all seriousness(?), really looking forward to the revised }:)

SpuneDagr said:
Hmm. It seems like this isn't so much Move [element] as it is Move Via [element]. Is there a way to really move elements? How would I take a big pile of rocks and build them into a big tower? How do I empty a lake? How do I create a strong breeze?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this book, it looks AWESOME!

If you want to move a bunch of rocks around, use Move Force if you just want to shove them around. If you want to levitate the rocks and build a castle, you'd need Move Force and Move Air to float them around. Or you could possibly just use Transform Earth to reshape stone, but that'd be a very high level spell. Basically, it'd either take a long time, moving a few boulders with each spell, or it'd take a very powerful spell.

For draining a lake, you could use move force to push the water out, or maybe Transform Water and Air to just evaporate the water. To create a strong breeze, I suppose you could use Move Force, but there are more precise rules for using Create Air. You can also do it with Evoke Air if you just buy the elemental effect and not any damage.

Actually, I'm wondering if I should change Move Force to give you an effective Strength to move things with.

Oh, and as for Earthquakes, that one is proving a bit tough. Move isn't what you want, but I'm not sure if it should be Transform to reshape the earth, or Evoke to damage the ground. Either one is a rather high-end spell, though.

Khorod

First Post
Giving Strength to Move Force would be useful, particularly for doing things like pushing a boulder out of a Giant's hands.

Hi! I have some suggestions for Move Time. How about:

0 mp- +1 slots in Initative order
3 mp- +4 slots in Initative order
5 mp- Target moves next. (a la Quick from Final Fantasy 5, 6, and maybe 7.)
12 mp- Gain two turns in a round where everyone else only gains one.
17 mp- Time stop (as the 9th level spell in D&D)
18+ mp- This is where you start going back in time, but it shouldn't be too far back. A round, an hour, and a day are all pretty good. A week's pushing it, even for 20 mp.

Also, can I recommend a spell list?
Evoke [Creature]
function: does damage to creature type. Example Evoke [Undead], for those of you who miss the FF1's White Mages' Harm (Dia) spells.
0-1d6 versus creature
1-1d10 + level (max +5)
3- 3d10 +level (max +15)
etc, etc, etc!
Also: No Spellcaster may choose his own type for the spell, i.e. A Lich who is a White Mage (orginal Elements of Magic class) cannot choose to Evoke Undead, Nor an Elven Ranger choose an Evoke spell versus Orcs or Giants, because their humanoids.

Whew, My. First. Post. Ever.
ps. I'm not that much of a Final Fantasy nut, but I bought the orignal EoM and notice just a tiny bit of a connection. Besides that, where did you come up with Green and Grey mages?

lol, thats a big post. I really over did it.

Your idea for Move Time is what Infuse Time does. It lets people take actions faster. And Evoke Creature can work, I suppose, but there's an option available to let your spells affect just specific targets in the area of effect, so 'Evoke Creature' might be a little unnecessary. Thanks for the question, though, and next time, please post longer questions. I need more excuses to stay up online late at night.

Remove ads