• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elephant in the room: rogue and fighter dailies.

Hussar

Legend
I don't need to play them simultaneously to know that when I do a trip attack for a second time in an encounter and succeed to know that would have been impossible had we been using a different system that limited me to one trip per fight.

So what?

There's a bajillion things I can do in one system that I cannot do in another, simply because they are different systems.

No one is arguing that disassociated mechanics are the same as direct mechanics. Of course they are different. They achieve different goals. But, being different doesn't make it bad. Just different.

You're arguing two different things here. From the point of view of the results within the game world, you cannot distinguish between the two systems. And, since that's the point of view that apparently matters, I'm kinda failing to see the problem here.

"We want things to make sense within the game world" is a fair enough point of view. But, disassociated mechanics DO make sense within the game world. There's no way to distinguish them from within the game world.

nnms

First Post
No one is arguing that disassociated mechanics are the same as direct mechanics. Of course they are different. They achieve different goals. But, being different doesn't make it bad. Just different.

Absolutely. What goals certain mechanics achieve are only good or bad in how they line up with your goals for the game experience.

You're arguing two different things here. From the point of view of the results within the game world, you cannot distinguish between the two systems. And, since that's the point of view that apparently matters, I'm kinda failing to see the problem here.

You just stated that they achieve different goals. Why are you "kinda failing to see the problem here"? Do you not know what the different goals are? If so, on what basis did you state them to be different?

"We want things to make sense within the game world" is a fair enough point of view. But, disassociated mechanics DO make sense within the game world. There's no way to distinguish them from within the game world.

You still don't understand the position others are holding. Hopefully this question will help:

*Why* do they want things to make sense within the game world?

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Quite frankly nnms, I don't care. I've so sick and tired of being told I'm not roleplaying when I do something that is outside of other people's limited vocabulary regarding roleplaying that I no longer really care what the "I hate disassociated mechanics" crowd wants.

Apparently, from what I understand, they want as close to a 1:1 correlation with the character sheet with the game world.

Ok, fine. But, as soon as anyone brings up the fact that this correlation has never actually existed in D&D (HP's being a prime example), that gets blown off.

But, this:

Absolutely. What goals certain mechanics achieve are only good or bad in how they line up with your goals for the game experience.

I totally disagree with. I don't judge mechanics based on my personal preferences. The tendency to conflate personal preference with quality is not something I share. I can absolutely loathe a system, yet still see that the mechanics are good. Why do we have disassociated mechanics? Well, it's a pretty decent tool for balancing the non-caster with caster classes. Grant the non-caster player some authorial control over the world and now he's no longer playing second fiddle to the casters.

Does it work? Yup. It absolutely does. Is it the only way? Nope. Like I said, it's one tool. And a pretty effective tool for doing what it's supposed to do.

Now, do you like it? Apparently not. Fair enough. Doesn't make it bad, just means it's not to your taste. My not wanting to play AD&D doesn't make AD&D bad, just not to my taste.

But, you're trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone else. I mean, it's pretty easy to avoid the disassociated mechanics in 4e - simply take choices that aren't disassociated. There's already numerous options for that and have been for quite some time.

But, OTOH, please stop trying to take that option away from me.

nnms

First Post
Quite frankly nnms, I don't care. I've so sick and tired of being told I'm not roleplaying when I do something that is outside of other people's limited vocabulary regarding roleplaying that I no longer really care what the "I hate disassociated mechanics" crowd wants.

I had a feeling it was personal. You've been offended and are responding out of that rather than having a discussion.

I totally disagree with. I don't judge mechanics based on my personal preferences.

You do every time you pick a game to play over another one. My entire point was that good and bad for mechanics is relative to what you want out of the game, not absolute.

But, you're trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone else.

WTF? Again and again I've been saying that the solution to this is modularity.

But, OTOH, please stop trying to take that option away from me.

In a recent post I just mentioned how I want to see 5E have a completely restored 4e AEDU setup through modularity.

You are right not to care at this point, because your emotions are clouding your ability to even read what people have posted. Here's what I wrote:

It should be a modular aspect (so should the complete restoration of AEDU to 5E). When it comes to fantasy party/troupe based gaming, I like the earliest modes of play. The kind that gave birth to Runequest and Rolemaster and were a very common approach to OD&D.

And that bolding was in the original post, not just added here for emphasis.

Last edited:

avin

First Post
I'm curious, for guys who playtested early versions, before Monte left, daily powers were in?

A matter of choice, like dissociated mechanics or not. I dislike. Most of my friends dislike. It turns D&D into a gamist arena which a lot of people are not willing to step. Martial daily powers for Fighters are a HUGE letdown to me.

While I had fun with 4E, if DDN it's going to be 4.5 I'm probably give it some shots and don't bother.

A matter of preference, and that's it. 4E is a good game.

THAT SAID, I don't see this specific "power" for Fighters as something like a martial maneuver you can try once in a day... as long as it doesn't open a door for Daily/Encounter powers it's ok... but if that door is open I gotta ask myself: why bother, Wotc? You won't bring 3.5 players with that. Stay in 4E, which is a fine system, it just not appeal to everybody.

Last edited:

nnms

First Post
I'm curious, for guys who playtested early versions, before Monte left, daily powers were in?

There aren't even very many daily powers now. Just the extra fighter attacks, the rogue knack and the halfling being lucky.

Martial daily powers for Fighters are a HUGE letdown to me.

The only one we have seen so far is basically taking another turn a few times a day. It's certainly a sign that "you can do this only a few times a day" is definitely in for D&DN, but how prevalent it will be or how modular it will be remains to be seen.

but if that door is open I gotta ask myself: why bother, Wotc? You won't bring 3.5 players with that. Stay in 4E, which is a fine system, it just not appeal to everybody.

They really don't have a choice. They've lost tons of market share to Pathfinder (enough that Paizo now claims its the top selling RPG) and Hasbro demands that a certain amount of money be brought in by each of their product lines. They need to expand their customer base after giving up so much of it with 4E.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm trying to illustrate that your explanations represent a totally different approach to the game than the one those opposed to dailies and encounter powers are advocating. This is the crux of the disagreement.

People don't want to have them in their game because they want a particular mode of play where you describe what you do and then, as needed, use the system to resolve things.

Sure. But there's a difference between "I don't like it" and "It makes no sense".

When the cry is "Martial dailies are stupid because the fighter forgets how to trip people!", that indicates they either haven't, can't, or won't consider alternative explanations that don't necessitate forgetful fighters while maintaining a coherent narrative.

"I find the concept of Martial dailies distasteful because they impose a different action-resolution loop to the one I prefer" is a valid complaint. But it's an expression of subjective preference, rather than claiming a system to be objectively inferior.

When someone wanting this type of play talks about a mechanic as dissociated, telling them they're just seeing it wrong because you can re-associate it after the fact is 100% useless and all it does is demonstrate that you don't understand their position.

I don't think I've disagreed anywhere that the mechanic is dissociated from the character's decisions. I'm saying that the dissociation is not an objectively bad thing.

I'm saying that if there are two ways to explain how a mechanic manifests cinematically in the game world, and one of them is ridiculous but the other isn't, then pointing to the ridiculous one and saying "See? The mechanic sucks!" lacks credibility.

From the beginning of the thread, I've always granted that "I find those mechanics not to my taste" is a perfectly valid viewpoint. It's "I find those mechanics not to my taste because they must result in nonsensical narrative" that I take issue with.

-Hyp.

Mercutio01

First Post
When the cry is "Martial dailies are stupid because the fighter forgets how to trip people!", that indicates they either haven't, can't, or won't consider alternative explanations that don't necessitate forgetful fighters while maintaining a coherent narrative.

And yet it seems like many of the people who like martial dailies hate Vancian spell-casting, and the say exactly the same things about those that people who don't like Martial dailies say.

"Vancian casting is stupid because the wizard forgets how to shoot a fireball!" They either haven't, can't, or won't consider alternative explanations.

I don't understand the people who love martial dailies but hate Vancian casting. What 4E really did was make every character a Vancian caster, but those people who like martial dailies seem to be among the most vociferous anti-Vancians.

And I say this as someone who actually sort of likes some of the ideas behind martial dailies. (It's encounter powers that bugged me, not daily.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Vancian casting is stupid because the wizard forgets how to shoot a fireball!" They either haven't, can't, or won't consider alternative explanations.

I agree.

I'm not one of those people :)

I've played and enjoyed playing Vancian casters, though I find I've developed a preference for non-prepared casters where the option exists - sorcerer, favoured soul, warlock, to pick a few 3.5 examples.

But that's a play-style preference. I prefer it primarily because I began to find the bookkeeping of maintaining a Vancian list - particularly at mid to high levels - tedious.

Which is an entirely different complaint to the mechanic resulting in a nonsensical narrative. There are a number of different ways for the Vancian mechanics to be represented in the in-game fiction, so that's not a reason for me to prefer a system which doesn't employ a Vancian spellcasting mechanic.

-Hyp.

OmegaMan950

First Post
The difference is my wizard knows in character that he can only cast a spell once per day and knows why. My rogue not only can never know he can use trip once per day, but can also never know the reasoning behind it.
When the wizard knows why it's because he's either broken the 4th wall or is using a magic system that doesn't incorporate the vancian system.

Yeah, Hit Points make no 'in character' sense and I wish they were consigned to the dust-bin of eternity, but I think that ship has sailed tbh.
I want to quote this because it shows that in the game we are all willing to suspend disbelief on some mechanics that don't make sense while arguing against the incorporation of others. I too think that hitpoints as are are a poor mechanic, but I'm ok with them in the game at the moment because they don't disadvantage or void any classes.
You know it's funny - whenever discussion of specialized combat maneuvers like tripping or bull rush come up I'm amazed that so many people are comfortable with codified rules that don't take what's happening in the fiction into account. I am far more comfortable with engaging a meta resource to occasionally trip someone than I am of the 3e trip attack fighter who trips, trips, and trips some more. I find that far more immersion breaking. Honestly given how abstract D&D combat is I have trouble actually viewing myself as living in the moment of what's going through my character's mind.

That being said, I have no real issue with relying on DM adjudication for those moments because the DM can look at the fiction of what's happening at the table in a way that no codified rules set can without making the rules overly specific.
Part of the problem here can be summarized in a post I made in the playtest fighter discussion, I made a list comparing fighter abilities throughout the editions and ended on this paragraph regarding fighters and DM fiat:
Everything I've listed above is what makes the fighter distinct. Any class can improvise, any class can have a meaningful history, any class can be the current focus of the story, any class can use terrain to its advantage, any class can use henchmen in their service. The 5th edition fighter doesn't even get a bonus to these DM fiats and discretions.
If the fighter is going to use the terrain/story/whatever to his/her advantage in and outside of combat then they better have a bonus compared to other classes or at least the DM's favour. We judge the expectations of the classes abilities based on the natural laws of the players world, not the characters, and so we say martial characters cannot do this or that because of our biased thoughts and the limits of the 'real world' human body when we should be looking at myths and legends for inspiration.

We give the casters a free pass to do as they will because we have no real means to judge what can and can't be done with magic, even though when a player's character casts a spell they are influencing the game world in a way even the DM has to agree to, a Player Fiat in a sense, provided the character meets the requirements of the spell (eg. material and verbal components, has the spell available, etc.). They are essentially bypassing a DM's ruling/judgement that melee characters with their so few options depend on. Not only that, but they can do the same thing a fighter can do ("can I use the barrels as cover?") but can go above and beyond ("The barrels are now covered in a darkness spell")

We don't say to the casters "You have been hitting the Elven brandy and pipe weed a bit too much lately, lose some spell slots until you regain your memory" or "you've lost a memorized spell because Zagnor the Maleficant's enchantment has screwed with the imprinted dweomer" even though these possibilities would be accepted by most people based on: our previous experiences with booze/drugs, and an open void of possible metaphysics created by the vancian model. We don't even say spells require memorization times any more even though most of us (through our own experiences) realize that memorizing complex patterns or ideas can take a long long time.

Melee classes were given options like bull rush and trip in 3E because as bad as they were (mechanically speaking) it's not unusual for a trained warrior to be skilled in these maneuvers, and it was viewed as an acceptable compromise by a majority of playtesters/designers at the time.

I'm trying to illustrate that your explanations represent a totally different approach to the game than the one those opposed to dailies and encounter powers are advocating. This is the crux of the disagreement.

People don't want to have them in their game because they want a particular mode of play where you describe what you do and then, as needed, use the system to resolve things. This then creates a new described situation in an endless circuit of description-reaction-redescription. It works quite well and has been around in one form or another since 1967.

If I need to start adding in description after the fact to justify things, then I've left that mode of play. The chandelier or the carpet should have been part of the description from the beginning. It's not appropriate when everyone is making decisions based on the description to suddenly change it.

People who want this sort of mode are telling you that encounter and daily powers can necessitate the type of play they don't like. The creation of situation changing details as an after-the-fact description is exactly the type of thing that ruins the experience for people wanting this type of play.
If this is the means of play then the fighter PC should be able to say "I swing off the chandelier, knocking my target prone, and showering the nearby bodyguards in glass" without the DM's ruling or interference. No "Mother may I?" style gaming. The DM should then be obligated to put in some form of terrain/device for the fighter to manipulate, and the fighter have a table ready similar to page 42 of the 4E DMG as a quick reference for damage or conditions. This is augmented by levels/feats in the same way casters spells are automatically gained and affected by caster level. It's only fair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads